Computer Workshop

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Computer Workshop

Post by overseasTOON » Wed May 25, 2016 12:22 pm

Try this first:

Open the control panel and select device manager.

Click on Network and then right click on your network adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box "allow computer to turn off this device to save power"

Then go to the power options, and change the Wireless Adapter Setting from "Maximum Power Setting" to "Maximum Performance"

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Wed May 25, 2016 4:16 pm

I just installed Ubuntu 15.10 on my laptop instead of 10. It's is so much faster it is unreal! It's a little annoying have to use the terminal for everything but you get used to it pretty fast.

Seriously is the only down side to Linux the lack of double click installation? I don't really game on my computer so maybe that is different?

Holystone...
Grammer Police Chef
Grammer Police Chef

Post by Holystone... » Wed May 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Thanks overseasTOON. Fixed thanks to your tip.
Ashley tells you it's raining. Do you look out the window?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:07 am

Hjl wrote:I just installed Ubuntu 15.10 on my laptop instead of 10. It's is so much faster it is unreal! It's a little annoying have to use the terminal for everything but you get used to it pretty fast.

Seriously is the only down side to Linux the lack of double click installation? I don't really game on my computer so maybe that is different?
Lack of support for Linux from employers. I can't remote access in on Linux, they can't be bothered to authorize a linux implementation.
Gaming does make a huge difference, less so on indie games but the large games are pc only
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:21 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:
Hjl wrote:I just installed Ubuntu 15.10 on my laptop instead of 10. It's is so much faster it is unreal! It's a little annoying have to use the terminal for everything but you get used to it pretty fast.

Lack of support for Linux from employers. I can't remote access in on Linux, they can't be bothered to authorize a linux implementation.
Gaming does make a huge difference, less so on indie games but the large games are pc only
Ah, I cant say I use the native Remote Desktop on Windows. I've always used third party. I guess if gaming is your thing then you could run them through wine but you'll probably lose about 10% performance.

Linux seems to be incredibly customizable and less prone to massive slow downs and random 100% disk usage problems than w10.

It's certainly an interesting experience.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:26 pm

Anyone know if you can stream sky go from an iPad to a smart to with chromecast? I've had a look online and can't see how to do it and there's a lot of things saying sky block it.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:53 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Anyone know if you can stream sky go from an iPad to a smart to with chromecast? I've had a look online and can't see how to do it and there's a lot of things saying sky block it.
Try cast screen.
Saying that i guess you're already tried the obvious <laugh>
Failing that the only way i can see you doing it is with kodi on your tablet.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:57 pm

Tsi wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Anyone know if you can stream sky go from an iPad to a smart to with chromecast? I've had a look online and can't see how to do it and there's a lot of things saying sky block it.
Try cast screen.
<laugh>

Yeah - if only sky would make it that simple! Can't find any way to do it. It's stupid, BT Sport let you stream to your TV, typical sky have to be cronuts.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:01 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tsi wrote:
Try cast screen.
<laugh>

Yeah - if only sky would make it that simple! Can't find any way to do it. It's stupid, BT Sport let you stream to your TV, typical sky have to be cronuts.
Had issues with that when i had sky they won't allow it because they want people to spend an extra tenner a month for multi room...twats.
The only way around it is kodi and even then the quality or even getting some to work f*** you off.

el héroe
Worst Santa Ever
Worst Santa Ever

Post by el héroe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:18 pm

Think you have to sign up for Sky Q at an additional monthly cost. What else did you expect <erk>
'I WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE'

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:02 am

el héroe wrote:
Think you have to sign up for Sky Q at an additional monthly cost. What else did you expect <erk>
Sky Q works out cheaper for my parents.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:05 am

I've just cancelled Sky TV - they've already written to be offering me 50% off for 12 months. If they drop it to 70% off for 12 months i'll reconsider.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:26 am

I had yet another Lenovo update this weekend which defaults my network adaptor to turn off when not charging to 'save power' meaning the laptop has to be treated as a desktop to be used and maintain a connection to the wifi.

I know how to change the settings back but by Christ it's a ****ing stupid default setting for a laptop and when I complained to Lenovo they said they had to do this to comply with emissions targets <laugh>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:09 am

overseasTOON wrote:I had yet another Lenovo update this weekend which defaults my network adaptor to turn off when not charging to 'save power' meaning the laptop has to be treated as a desktop to be used and maintain a connection to the wifi.

I know how to change the settings back but by Christ it's a ****ing stupid default setting for a laptop and when I complained to Lenovo they said they had to do this to comply with emissions targets <laugh>
<laugh> Serves you right for getting a coal powered laptop
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

el héroe
Worst Santa Ever
Worst Santa Ever

Post by el héroe » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:16 pm

At the end of the day laptops were not invented for the same stuff a desktop brings you. They are getting close but making these thinner and lighter will just never work. The power needed means lots of heat that means high powered fans with space needed to breath. I smell a meltdown !!
'I WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE'

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:25 pm

Bit of a long shot but does anyone know of ways to change which email account you associate with your accounts on other sites?

My hotmail account has been locked because someone's been trying to get in and my secondary email that the verification code would be sent to was my uni one which has been closed now. So essentially the email address I've signed up to nearly everything I have with is now no longer usable.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:05 am

Leben Das Ernste Leben wrote:Bit of a long shot but does anyone know of ways to change which email account you associate with your accounts on other sites?

My hotmail account has been locked because someone's been trying to get in and my secondary email that the verification code would be sent to was my uni one which has been closed now. So essentially the email address I've signed up to nearly everything I have with is now no longer usable.
<laugh> <erk>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Leben Das Ernste Leben wrote:Bit of a long shot but does anyone know of ways to change which email account you associate with your accounts on other sites?

Any mobile phone option for verification?

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:49 pm

overseasTOON wrote:

Not that I can see, only offers to send a verification code to a back up email or you can fill out a questionnaire but the stuff on there is 'who have you last sent an email to' and 'what was the topic of that email' and the last time I sent an email on that account was in January. I know the person I sent it to but not the exact name of the email. They've essentially said I can't try that any more too because I couldn't give enough information on the times I did it so I'm abandoning this email account really but was wondering if there's a way of forwarding the emails or changing the email associated with accounts on Facebook, Twitter, here etc.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Leben Das Ernste Leben wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:
Not that I can see, only offers to send a verification code to a back up email or you can fill out a questionnaire but the stuff on there is 'who have you last sent an email to' and 'what was the topic of that email' and the last time I sent an email on that account was in January. I know the person I sent it to but not the exact name of the email. They've essentially said I can't try that any more too because I couldn't give enough information on the times I did it so I'm abandoning this email account really but was wondering if there's a way of forwarding the emails or changing the email associated with accounts on Facebook, Twitter, here etc.
You've just got to dig through the settings/account pages, although I'd imagine a lot of them will send a verification email to the address you're switching from. Could you maybe get in touch with your uni to see if they can temporarily revive your email account?

If you need to switch on here, try this page http://www.toonforum.co.uk/ucp.php?i=uc ... eg_details, if it needs a verification email PM me and I'll switch it from my end.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=a ... email&view
Twitter - https://twitter.com/settings/account