Tomski
16%

Total votes: 62

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Re: The Message of Hate Thread

Post by Toondes » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:53 pm

The police stated it was terrorism incident . I don't know why that offends you so much. Anyway the footballs started so I'm offskie.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:15 pm

The Angry Badger. wrote:
Don Sholeone wrote:The word terrorism, the biggest marketing buzzword for extremists, why do extremist groups need to bother with propaganda when the worlds governments and media outlets do all the work for them, 90% of the "terrorists" aims are fulfilled by our country's own need to sensationalise every incident.

Do we really think their aims are to hurt a handful of people, do we really think that's their mission, people need to wake up, these incidents are marketing exercises for extremist groups and we play right into their hands.
What do you suggest we do? Not report it? I say report it far and wide and show them we won't stand for their **** and won't be divided by a few twats who are hell bent on ruining everything our forefathers have built for us.
As much as I hate saturation news, I'm with you on this. People want to know and want to talk about this, so they are gonna talk about this sort of thing on social media so much and so quickly that if the mainstream media drastically reduced their coverage of major incidents, they'd become irrelevant. It's a complex issue really, and one that for me can only settle on a right-ish answer rather than a perfect one.

There's a decent video of a debate/discussion on this exact topic from last week:

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:16 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:Tell me where I've said the incident shouldn't be reported?

And please tell me why we need to call these terrorist incidents 5 minutes into the developing stories, why do they need to be labeled as such when FACTS are very limited at the time.
Iirc the chief of the met said it was being treat as though it were a terrorist incident for the time being. So the press runs with that.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:10 pm

It definitely needs to be reported as what it is, but I hate it when they start to run out of new content so start making up their own and finding things to make into big issues. I read a story just before about the BBC news anchor who made a throat cutting gesture to try and signal to cut a video feed. The amount of articles that just show hundreds of tweets is f***ing ridiculous too.
Kindly deeds done for free!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:26 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:It definitely needs to be reported as what it is, but I hate it when they start to run out of new content so start making up their own and finding things to make into big issues. I read a story just before about the BBC news anchor who made a throat cutting gesture to try and signal to cut a video feed. The amount of articles that just show hundreds of tweets is f***ing ridiculous too.
How about that time the Russian submarine sank a few years ago, and the BBC paid for a helicopter to fly over the empty patch of sea to film it for live updates. But then they were told on arrival that the Russian government had ordered a temporary blockade of the airspace above where the incident had taken place, so the BBC sent their helicopter to film another patch of sea which looked just like the original patch of sea with a disclaimer pointing this similarity out.

It's totally bonkers the level that they'll go to to sustain the veneer of knowledge when they know less than the average bellend with a twitter account.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:38 pm

I've just read an 'article' on the BBC website that was 75% embedded tweets and was about some game show and a door.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:13 pm

BBC News website is a crap tabloid for left leaning middle class people. It's amazing that so many people consider it a good quality go-to for the news.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:16 pm

skalpel wrote:BBC News website is a crap tabloid for left leaning middle class people. It's amazing that so many people consider it a good quality go-to for the news.
What do you use for news?
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Ramone wrote:
skalpel wrote:BBC News website is a crap tabloid for left leaning middle class people. It's amazing that so many people consider it a good quality go-to for the news.
A mix. I'll use Google News for a general overview of headlines from various sources. But I most often read The Guardian, The Spectator, The Telegraph and the FT. Then every now and then I'll read the WSJ and NYT. I used to be a religious Independent reader but went pretty rapidly off it some years ago. What about you?

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:45 pm

skalpel wrote:
Ramone wrote:
A mix. I'll use Google News for a general overview of headlines from various sources. But I most often read The Guardian, The Spectator, The Telegraph and the FT. Then every now and then I'll read the WSJ and NYT. I used to be a religious Independent reader but went pretty rapidly off it some years ago. What about you?
BBC <whistle>
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Ramone wrote:
skalpel wrote:
BBC <whistle>
<roll>. I wish I liked it. I get pissed off with the BBC because it really should be the best source for news in the country. Instead it seems to me to be slower than most other places at updating the stories, the writing is way crapper than most other places, the investigative journalism is poor to non existent. And because it pretends to be unbiased, when it isn't, it feels less trustworthy as well.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:38 pm

I find it crazy how American news orgs are embracing Louise Mensch. The NYT gave her an op-ed ffs. Then they wonder how someone like trump got elected. Stop giving these morons a platform to make them relevant.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Mifune wrote:I find it crazy how American news orgs are embracing Louise Mensch. The NYT gave her an op-ed ffs. Then they wonder how someone like trump got elected. Stop giving these morons a platform to make them relevant.
She's a useless person, and I think quite mad. She'll have her own chat show in less than a year.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:42 pm

skalpel wrote:
Mifune wrote:I find it crazy how American news orgs are embracing Louise Mensch. The NYT gave her an op-ed ffs. Then they wonder how someone like trump got elected. Stop giving these morons a platform to make them relevant.
She's a useless person, and I think quite mad. She'll have her own chat show in less than a year.
Pretty sure at this point even I could get a spot on CNN or something if I started spouting conspiracy theories about Russia.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Also, we really need a new poll...

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Mifune wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Pretty sure at this point even I could get a spot on CNN or something if I started spouting conspiracy theories about Russia.
Just by Putin it out there?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Mifune wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Provided your occupation is listed as "activist" on social media, of course <roll>.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:37 am

I read the Guardian and the Daily Mail to get a balanced centre view.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:57 am

Any other Daily Sport readers?
I dunno

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:12 am

Duke wrote:Any other Daily Sport readers?
Readers?