The ToonForum Whisky Club

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Re: The ToonForum Whisky Club

Post by asbo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:46 am

Are you just going to keep bumping this thread for every one of the four days Quim will be trying to give up alcohol?

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:54 pm

Night in as per for New Year's, got myself a bottle of Maker's Mark, one of my old faves. Makes a superb Manhattan/Old Fashioned.
AbsolutelyGlorious wrote:Are you just going to keep bumping this thread for every one of the four days Quim will be trying to give up alcohol?
Yes

(Bump)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:54 pm

I ended the night with a glass of George T Stagg at a mate's house party <awe>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:23 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:I ended the night with a glass of George T Stagg at a mate's house party <awe>
I just bought a glass of that at Hop & Cleaver on the Quayside tonight. £11.50 for a single measure. f*** me, it's outstanding <aew>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:37 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:I ended the night with a glass of George T Stagg at a mate's house party <awe>
I just bought a glass of that at Hop & Cleaver on the Quayside tonight. £11.50 for a single measure. **** me, it's outstanding <aew>
Worth every penny!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:29 am

Had a couple of woodford reserve double Oaked tonight. Christ it's good. This is my first bottle and I've always wondered if it's worth the price (double the cost of normal woodford). The answer is emphatically YES!

Fantastic nose on it, deep amber colour, and warms your throat all the way down. It is glorious. I've got a bottle of Blanton's gold which cost £75 (so £25 more that the woodford double Oaked) and this is every bit as good, if not better.

It's easily in my top 5.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:09 am

Haven't tried the Blantons but heard it's great, really cool bottles too.

I first tried the Woodford Double Oaked at Manchester airport about 18 months ago, it was on special for £30 a bottle and I didn't buy any <disgrace>

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:16 pm

On the Forty Creek. Seriously good stuff. Expensive over here though. Ordered a bottle - £79.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:Haven't tried the Blantons but heard it's great, really cool bottles too.

I first tried the Woodford Double Oaked at Manchester airport about 18 months ago, it was on special for £30 a bottle and I didn't buy any <disgrace>
I've had Blanton's Original and Blanton's Gold, both very decent. I've kept the bottle tops from those ones too.
Chappy wrote:On the Forty Creek. Seriously good stuff. Expensive over here though. Ordered a bottle - £79.
Added that to my list of future purchases <gent>

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:33 am

Had a drop of the Aberlour 18 tonight with the old man <ok>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:49 pm

Aberlour A'bunadh £35 in waitrose.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:26 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Aberlour A'bunadh £35 in waitrose.
Well worth it at that price!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Chappy wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Aberlour A'bunadh £35 in waitrose.
Well worth it at that price!
Yeah, usually about £42 so that's decent.

golasambi
Pope's Goalposts

Post by golasambi » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:02 am

yeh iv seen for 55 tbh so u did well ther m8

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:48 pm

About to meet the bottom of my bulleit rye <cry>

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:20 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:About to meet the bottom of my bulleit rye <cry>
<rose>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:52 pm

Just opened a bottle of Nikka from the Barrel that I got for Christmas.

Had a couple of Japanese whiskey's before (Hibiki suntory and Yamazaki) and they were both good.

This one is leathery on the nose, sweet on the tongue and then a bit of smokiness at the back of your throat. Not my usual type of whisky but quite enjoyable. I'm not a fan of really smokey or peaty whisky's but the smokiness on this one doesn't overpower.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:08 pm

The Buffalo Trace antique collection has been released. I entered a ballot on the whisky exchange to be in with a chance of buying one of the bottles and have managed to get this one:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thewhisk ... d-motorola

Not cheap, £150, but virtually impossible to get hold of without winning one of these ballots.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:16 pm

I got a bottle of Four Roses last weekend for my Birthday and I'm a little disappointed. Considering its in the same price range as Woodford Reserve I think it's inferior, although it is nice and spicy and holds up well in an Old Fashioned.
Bodacious Benny wrote:The Buffalo Trace antique collection has been released. I entered a ballot on the whisky exchange to be in with a chance of buying one of the bottles and have managed to get this one:

Not cheap, £150, but virtually impossible to get hold of without winning one of these ballots.
How the f*** can you spend £150 quid on a bottle of bourbon??? <yikes>

Incidentally, I have the W. L. Weller 12 yr old which is absolutely stunning and rare as hens teeth but only costs about $30 in the states, my bro brought it back from Florida last year.

Easily worth £60+ over here considering what else you can get for your money. Not on par with George T. Stagg Jr at £80 a bottle but not far off.

He also got me a bottle of Penderyn Madeira Finish last week which isn't the sort of thing I usually go for but it's absolutely lovely.

It's a little harsh and alcoholic being a young single malt but give it a chance and it's really engaging. You notice the sherry/madeira overtones first, then the sweetness from the bourbon cask that it's matured in, but it's definitely a single malt with the dried fruit and the spice.

Probably too harsh to drink neat, it's just too hot, but lovely with a little dash of cold water. I'm really intrigued and would like to try more from Penderyn now.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:I got a bottle of Four Roses last weekend for my Birthday and I'm a little disappointed. Considering its in the same price range as Woodford Reserve I think it's inferior, although it is nice and spicy and holds up well in an Old Fashioned.
Bodacious Benny wrote:The Buffalo Trace antique collection has been released. I entered a ballot on the whisky exchange to be in with a chance of buying one of the bottles and have managed to get this one:

How the **** can you spend £150 quid on a bottle of bourbon??? <yikes>

Incidentally, I have the W. L. Weller 12 yr old which is absolutely stunning and rare as hens teeth but only costs about $30 in the states, my bro brought it back from Florida last year.

Easily worth £60+ over here considering what else you can get for your money. Not on par with George T. Stagg Jr at £80 a bottle but not far off.

He also got me a bottle of Penderyn Madeira Finish last week which isn't the sort of thing I usually go for but it's absolutely lovely.

It's a little harsh and alcoholic being a young single malt but give it a chance and it's really engaging. You notice the sherry/madeira overtones first, then the sweetness from the bourbon cask that it's matured in, but it's definitely a single malt with the dried fruit and the spice.

Probably too harsh to drink neat, it's just too hot, but lovely with a little dash of cold water. I'm really intrigued and would like to try more from Penderyn now.
The entry level four roses is pretty average but they do some decent stuff as you go up the range. Woodford is definitely better than the four roses entry offering.

As for the W. L. Weller it's decent. Had a bottle myself in the past for about £35 and it's great value for money. The William Larue Weller is part of the antique collection at Buffalo Trace and very difficult to get hold of, hence the price. I would LOVE to hear where you get George T Stagg for £80 a bottle!!!!!! Inside the UK it's incredibly hard to get hold of and you certainly won't get it for less than £150, even then you'd be hard pushed to find it.

The Penderyn Madeira finish is nice but definitely one of the sherry monsters.