The ToonForum Whisky Club

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: The ToonForum Whisky Club

Post by Hjl » Wed May 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Hjl wrote:
Eagle rare is a good choice. I find Stagg Jnr to be a bit too high proof. It's about 120-130 if I recall, needs toning down a little
Yeah, 132.1 (or 66.05% abv in British language ;) ), certainly a throat burner but I quite like the harshness of it. I only ever drink a single of it on special occasions, if I was drinking more it'd need toning down a bit.
So what scotch do you drink? I have been drinking some glenfiddich 12 and 18 recently. I don't get why the 12 gets so much stick, it's fine. Nothing special, but fine.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu May 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Hjl wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Yeah, 132.1 (or 66.05% abv in British language ;) ), certainly a throat burner but I quite like the harshness of it. I only ever drink a single of it on special occasions, if I was drinking more it'd need toning down a bit.
So what scotch do you drink? I have been drinking some glenfiddich 12 and 18 recently. I don't get why the 12 gets so much stick, it's fine. Nothing special, but fine.
Generally I'm quite middle of the road, things such as Balvennie 12, Dalwhinnie, Aberlour, Glenlivet etc. Also like Japanese whisky <cheers>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat May 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Enjoying some Bushmills 10 tonight...

Dedicating this one to Sir Alex. He was big into his whisky <gent>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Tue May 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Thinking of getting an Irish whiskey for a change. Haven't tried any in years and can't remember what to expect... Any pointers? <gent>

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Tue May 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:Thinking of getting an Irish whiskey for a change. Haven't tried any in years and can't remember what to expect... Any pointers? <gent>
As a rule of thumb they're generally non-peaty and quite sweet.

Value for money wise you can't really go wrong with a Bushmills 10 year old. Can get bottles for £25 in some places <ok>

Other nice Irish whiskeys are Teeling (both Single malt & Single grain), Green Spot, Redbreast (any age) and Powers Signature Release Single Pot Still.

Won't go far wrong with any of those <gent>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Tue May 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:Thinking of getting an Irish whiskey for a change. Haven't tried any in years and can't remember what to expect... Any pointers? <gent>
Tullamore dew 12 yr, Glendalough 7yr, Bushmills 10yr and Jameson black barrel <gent>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Wed May 09, 2018 12:43 am

Tsi wrote:
Tullamore dew 12 yr, Glendalough 7yr, Bushmills 10yr and Jameson black barrel <gent>
I don't drink a lot of Irish, but I second black barrel.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed May 09, 2018 9:09 am

Just picked up a two rums this morning Woods navy strength and Red Leg.Not expecting that much from them as they're both pretty cheap but you never know.The benchmark so far is 1.Rumbullion (best so far) 2.Kraken/Dark Matter everything else I've had is the usual you have like Cpt Morgan,sailor jerry etc and are pretty meh bog standard s****.Like I said in a earlier post just starting out on this rum adventure so hopefully I'll find some gems.
Will post later once I've tried them.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed May 09, 2018 9:24 am

Donkey Toon wrote:I'm ok with Rum, but it is some way behind whiskey/bourbon, gin or vodka on my list of preferences.
Hmm not really tried many vodkas but then again I found Russian standard which is surprisingly smooth for a cheap vodka it's so smooth it's the only one I've had (not had many though) I can drink neat.So I've not tried many as I found one I really like.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed May 09, 2018 10:01 am

Tsi wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:I'm ok with Rum, but it is some way behind whiskey/bourbon, gin or vodka on my list of preferences.
Hmm not really tried many vodkas but then again I found Russian standard which is surprisingly smooth for a cheap vodka it's so smooth it's the only one I've had (not had many though) I can drink neat.So I've not tried many as I found one I really like.
I'm not much of a vodka drinker (bad memories from when I was 16...), but Sipsmith Sipping Vodka is pretty nice. Got a bottle of that at home.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed May 09, 2018 10:47 am

Will keep an eye out for that, see you had the 16yr old vodka experience were I had the brandy experience at that age <erk>
Anyway couldn't resist trying the rum so here's my initial thoughts (will update when I drink more of it)

Woods navy strength: has a nice spice taste which is soon overpowered by the alcohol which is understandable due to it's strength but not unpleasant.
Red Leg: weak spice taste (almost synthetic) which is quickly replaced with a sickly sweet taste, will probably use this in future for a rum punch.For 16 quid I wasn't expecting that much from this and it proved to be nothing much.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed May 09, 2018 10:58 am

As with Bourbon i'm fairly limited in my selection of Vodkas where I live. But my main go-to's are Stolichnaya, Zubrovka Bison Grass, Chase English Potato Vodka and a Waitrose brand Polish Rye Vodka. The last is from a small distillery in Poland and just marketed in the UK as a Waitrose brand and is probably the nicest vodka I have tried yet. It is also considerably cheaper than market brand leaders. Which is a bonus.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed May 09, 2018 11:08 am

Donkey Toon wrote:As with Bourbon i'm fairly limited in my selection of Vodkas where I live. But my main go-to's are Stolichnaya, Zubrovka Bison Grass, Chase English Potato Vodka and a Waitrose brand Polish Rye Vodka. The last is from a small distillery in Poland and just marketed in the UK as a Waitrose brand and is probably the nicest vodka I have tried yet. It is also considerably cheaper than market brand leaders. Which is a bonus.
<ok> if you can get it try Russian standard (slap it in the freezer first) you might be like me pleasantly surprised.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed May 09, 2018 11:15 am

Tsi wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:As with Bourbon i'm fairly limited in my selection of Vodkas where I live. But my main go-to's are Stolichnaya, Zubrovka Bison Grass, Chase English Potato Vodka and a Waitrose brand Polish Rye Vodka. The last is from a small distillery in Poland and just marketed in the UK as a Waitrose brand and is probably the nicest vodka I have tried yet. It is also considerably cheaper than market brand leaders. Which is a bonus.
<ok> if you can get it try Russian standard (slap it in the freezer first) you might be like me pleasantly surprised.
I can get it here and do buy it occasionally. It is very nice but doesn't quite make my fav's list. <ok>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Wed May 09, 2018 1:23 pm

I dont know if you can get this in the UK, but try and find one of these. Both very good rums, im not a huge rum drinker but these are my go-tos

Image Image

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed May 09, 2018 1:46 pm

yeah you can get those here.I'll add them to my list. <gent>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed May 09, 2018 1:49 pm

I really shouldn't come on this thread when I'm trying to make it to Saturday before having a drink again <neg>

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed May 09, 2018 4:13 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:I really shouldn't come on this thread when I'm trying to make it to Saturday before having a drink again <neg>
Have you tried West Indies porter yet?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed May 09, 2018 5:57 pm

Tsi wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:I really shouldn't come on this thread when I'm trying to make it to Saturday before having a drink again <neg>
Have you tried West Indies porter yet?
Not yet! I will tho...

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed May 09, 2018 6:31 pm

<gent> <whistle>