Car stuff

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Car stuff

Post by beatski » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:04 pm

anyone know anything about cars/insurance claims? since i crashed my car yesterday <roll>. Its currently booked in to a garage tomorrow to fix it, but I reckon they might try and milk it for maximum cash fleece me/my insurance.

I was thinking of repairing the damage myself instead of claiming for the repairs to save some money; £350 excess on my policy and it only looks like minor bumper damage so I'll probably be paying for the entirity of the repairs myself anyway. Besides, I like doing stuff like this myself, so I'd prefer to fix it myself if possible.

trying to find out:
Would/could the garage look it over (for free hopefully, tell me the issues and then could I decide what to do based on their verdict?)
If I repair it myself do I need to get the repairs/car checked to ensure it's roadworthy? (I assume so like...)
Can I attempt to repair it myself and then claim repairs through my insurance if i fail to DIY? (assuming not like)
Would it be cheaper to claim third party, source the parts myself and then get another garage to repair it? (obviously coupled in with the above, having a go myself first etc.)
Is there a time limit on the claim? to get the repairs done through my insurance? or to change to third party? To get it looked at? could I ring up the to move the date of them looking at it back, try and fix it and then take it in?

Trying to canvas as many opinions as possible, I'm about to ring up my insurers to ask some of the above (obviously) but you sometimes get them toeing the company line with certain topics that wouldn't be in my best interests, and then there's a couple of questions above that i probably don't want to be asking an insurer either <whistle>.

so yeah, what do you think would be my best plan of action?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Car stuff

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:11 pm

I'd get it checked over first to make sure nothing structural was damaged. Our au pair had a 'small' knock last year in my wifes car and though it looked like a dent and a broken light the garage found the suspension was broken as well as the steering rod so it was a write off.

If it's just a bumper and some minor dents it's simple to fix though and you can generally go to a scrap yard to pick up parts which is far cheaper.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:49 pm

I crashed my car a few years ago, imsurance wanted to write it off saying it was going to cost over £1000 to fix, so I withdrew my claim and got my regular garage to fix it for £350.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:50 pm

Just f***ing T-cut it.
Kindly deeds done for free!

PFT

Post by PFT » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:55 pm

Set it on fire and push it in a ditch , it's f***ed mate.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:27 pm

An old (nearly 90) year old man pulled out ( <perv> ) in front of me while I was reversing onto a road (which is illegal) from my drive and I backed into him a few years ago. He was driving a Yaris and his driver's side door and wing were f***ed, along with my rear bumper. Anyway he was happy enough with my taking care of it so we went there and then to a bodywork shop, sorted it out while we were both there and ordered him OEM parts. Got myself a like-new bumper from the scrapyard and the whole lot including painting and fitting came to around £500.

So long story short I didn't have to put up with any **** from insurance companies/solicitors/whatever and it worked out cheap enough that if it happened again I'd definitely do the same thing.
I dunno

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Back when I had a license <grim>.
I dunno

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Duke wrote:Back when I had a license <grim>.
Back when you weren't a total prick.

Oh, hang on...
Kindly deeds done for free!

Tomski
Le Championski
Le Championski

Post by Tomski » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:44 pm

Beatski wrote:anyone know anything about cars/insurance claims? since i crashed my car yesterday <roll>. Its currently booked in to a garage tomorrow to fix it, but I reckon they might try and milk it for maximum cash fleece me/my insurance.
Is this garage on a farm?

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:50 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Duke wrote:Back when I had a license <grim>.
Back when you weren't a total prick.

Oh, hang on...
<laugh>

<grim>
I dunno

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:26 pm

Duke wrote:An old (nearly 90) year old man pulled out ( <perv> ) in front of me while I was reversing onto a road (which is illegal) from my drive and I backed into him a few years ago. He was driving a Yaris and his driver's side door and wing were f***ed, along with my rear bumper. Anyway he was happy enough with my taking care of it so we went there and then to a bodywork shop, sorted it out while we were both there and ordered him OEM parts. Got myself a like-new bumper from the scrapyard and the whole lot including painting and fitting came to around £500.

So long story short I didn't have to put up with any **** from insurance companies/solicitors/whatever and it worked out cheap enough that if it happened again I'd definitely do the same thing.
Why would you pay if he broke the law?

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Pretty Terrible Attacking Options wrote:
Duke wrote:An old (nearly 90) year old man pulled out ( <perv> ) in front of me while I was reversing onto a road (which is illegal) from my drive and I backed into him a few years ago. He was driving a Yaris and his driver's side door and wing were f***ed, along with my rear bumper. Anyway he was happy enough with my taking care of it so we went there and then to a bodywork shop, sorted it out while we were both there and ordered him OEM parts. Got myself a like-new bumper from the scrapyard and the whole lot including painting and fitting came to around £500.

Why would you pay if he broke the law?
It was sort of both our faults and I thought the law would side with him as I was reversing onto a main road. Took me a while to convince him not to go through the insurance cause I didn't want mine going sky high.
I dunno

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:00 pm

Tomski wrote:
Beatski wrote:anyone know anything about cars/insurance claims? since i crashed my car yesterday <roll>. Its currently booked in to a garage tomorrow to fix it, but I reckon they might try and milk it for maximum cash fleece me/my insurance.
Is this garage on a farm?
<laugh>

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:55 am

Just get it looked at by a garage first, dont commit, make them show you what needs doing. I would get a garage to do it though because its not worth the risk - you would need to get any repairs you did yourself assessed, what if you f***ed them up? Even more expensive.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:55 pm

Take it to a panel beaters. Loads of them about. It'll be a lot cheaper than you expect?
What area are you in?
# stolen from nufc.com :)

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:15 pm

The place my insurers sent me to estimated the repairs at £1200 quid <laugh>

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:19 pm

1200 quid quid? <roll>
REQUIEM

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:22 pm

That means there's about £300-£350 worth of damage.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:30 pm

doing it myself, or at least buying the parts

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:42 pm