Books

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Re: Books

Post by PTAO? » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
PTAO wrote:
To be fair, at the time it looked bad. He came out after we had been thumped by Liverpool and said he wanted to leave for Man City, leaving us up s*** creek when he did so on deadline day.

Obviously now with hindsight and more information we can see all wasn't as it seemed, but I can certainly understand why fans were pissed off, just as they were when it happened with Carroll.
Yeah, that's why the book and other articles are good as they explain what was going on and how the club (orchestrated by those in charge at board room level) were behaving. But even some time after reports came out about what went on there were elements of our fanbase giving him stick. I went to Villa away when he played against us so quite some time after he'd left and we all knew why (and couldn't blame him) but lots of our away fans were giving him abuse, not in a pantomime villain way either. I just cheered and applauded him louder.
Ah ok, I thought you were just referring to the immediate aftermath, didn't realise it continued once more information was out.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:48 pm

PTAO wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Yeah, that's why the book and other articles are good as they explain what was going on and how the club (orchestrated by those in charge at board room level) were behaving. But even some time after reports came out about what went on there were elements of our fanbase giving him stick. I went to Villa away when he played against us so quite some time after he'd left and we all knew why (and couldn't blame him) but lots of our away fans were giving him abuse, not in a pantomime villain way either. I just cheered and applauded him louder.
Ah ok, I thought you were just referring to the immediate aftermath, didn't realise it continued once more information was out.
<ok>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:54 pm

80% of the way through The Book Thief. It's alright, some of its a bit meh but some bits really make you think. Quite enjoyed how the story has evolved tho.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:06 pm

Managed to buy two leather bound editions from the 1850s of translations of Antonin Caremes cookbooks today for a tenner.

I'm a happy man!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:11 pm

Whatever floats your boat <laugh>

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:18 pm

Sounds like the sort of s**** Skalpel would buy.
Kindly deeds done for free!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:28 pm

Careme is a culinary hero of mine and I also use these types of books to understand the historical timeline of what would become classical French cooking.

Often the classics had origins as mere peasant food and came together from an amalgamation of varieties from different areas of France. Careme would analyse each variant, pick out the best part of each variety and eventually create the basis of the single unified dish we know today.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 pm

overseasTOON wrote:Careme is a culinary hero of mine and I also use these types of books to understand the historical timeline of what would become classical French cooking.

Often the classics had origins as mere peasant food and came together from an amalgamation of varieties from different areas of France. Careme would analyse each variant, pick out the best part of each variety and eventually create the basis of the single unified dish we know today.
Whilst I know nothing about cooking I can understand your excitement at getting hold of these books.

Can't help thinking it is a shocking insight into how lacking in culture society currently is, that two books of historical significance to the history and development of cuisine can be purchased for considerably less than the latest rip-off piece of s*** book from Jamie Oliver.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:08 pm

overseasTOON wrote:Careme is a culinary hero of mine and I also use these types of books to understand the historical timeline of what would become classical French cooking.

I had a half a bag of roast potatoes (frozen, cooked at 160 for 35 minutes) covered in cheese (and then microwaved) topped with a hefty dollop of mayonnaise for tea tonight.

I don't think I'm the right sort of audience for the French stuff.
Kindly deeds done for free!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:14 am

biggeordiedave wrote:Sounds like the sort of s**** Skalpel would buy.
Nah, I like my 19th century books to be completely f***ing irrelevant today.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:19 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:80% of the way through The Book Thief. It's alright, some of its a bit meh but some bits really make you think. Quite enjoyed how the story has evolved tho.
I didn't like it all that much tbh. It was sort of boring, I didn't care at all about the lodger (which given the circumstance should be unthinkable), and the death character had an annoying flair about him. It was worth making it through to the end though.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:15 am

So the first book arrived this morning and I was having a quick gander through it.

First chapter: A list of ingredients to host a banquet for 200,000 people.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:29 pm

That'll come in handy then <laugh>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:That'll come in handy then <laugh>
Strangely only needs 480 sheep.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:09 am

I've lost count of the number of books I've read since Feb when I started commuting for my new job. Latest one I finished this morning was 'where dead men meet' by Mark Mills. It's set in the 1930/1940s and is about this guy who survives an assassination attempt and has to go on the run across Europe (and become a killer himself) to find out why somebody wants him dead and who he really is. I found it quite enjoyable, not a genre that I've read much of.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:22 am

I used to do a 7 to 8 hour commute every day and would easily burn through a book a day.

It got to the point that I'd read every book available in the "Buy 3 for the price of 2" range from the WHSmiths at the station.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:24 am

Bloody hell <laugh>

You could probably have returned them the next day claiming you'd got the wrong ones as they'd never believe you'd read them so quickly!

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:43 am

I'm reading a book called 'A Line In The Sand' about the Sykes-Picot agreement and TE Lawrence. Really interesting to see just how badly you can f*** something up if you have an over-inflated sense of your own competence.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:45 am

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost wrote:I'm reading a book called 'A Line In The Sand' about the Sykes-Picot agreement and TE Lawrence. Really interesting to see just how badly you can **** something up if you have an over-inflated sense of your own competence.
Its a really good book.

Try this as well:

The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:46 am

The next book I'll be after for my commute is one about Albert Pierrepoint, saw something on TV a while back about him. He was Britain's Official Executioner for 25 years until the 1950s. Quite interested in all that kind of stuff.

I also really like books about people's time in prison e.g. The Damage done, and books about people who have been in Alcatraz, on Death Row and so on so if anyone has any recommendations let me know.