Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Books

Post by ALF » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:50 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
PTAO wrote:

Commiserations <hug>
Pray for ALF
It's a little slow <laugh> 43% in though, getting there.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:11 pm

That book is bloody awful.
REQUIEM

Digital Sloth
Tindall's Hoody

Post by Digital Sloth » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Well, I'm a massive reader, usually going through 3 books at a time. One is usually psychology based, another literature, and the 3rd being technical.

Right Now My Literature is - Lock In

Psychology is - Quiet

And my 'Technical Book' is - Learn to Code with HTML & CSS

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:32 pm

Xe1 wrote:And my 'Technical Book' is - Learn to Code with HTML & CSS
Commiserations, old bean.

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:32 pm

ALF wrote:Read Joey Bartons book a little while ago, some parts are pretty interesting but he's a massive knobhead as expected. Reading the Game Of Thrones books now. On the 4th one, they're all huge but first 3 are great.
What were the interesting parts?

Anything good on us?

Digital Sloth
Tindall's Hoody

Post by Digital Sloth » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:39 pm

ALF wrote:Reading the Game Of Thrones books now. On the 4th one, they're all huge but first 3 are great.
4 is the worst, so just get through it and you'll be rewarded twofold with #5. I absolutely loved those books and I'm typically a big Fantasy guy.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:21 pm

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
ALF wrote:Read Joey Bartons book a little while ago, some parts are pretty interesting but he's a massive knobhead as expected. Reading the Game Of Thrones books now. On the 4th one, they're all huge but first 3 are great.
What were the interesting parts?

Anything good on us?
I can't remember too much about us to be honest. His 'highlights' of his time here are his prison spell and injury problems.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:54 am

Nothing is True and Everything is Possible by Pete Pomeranstev

Very easy-to-read short book on modern Russian society which reads like a series of journalistic essays.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:59 am

Leonid Brezhnev wrote:Nothing is True and Everything is Possible by Pete Pomeranstev

Very easy-to-read short book on modern Russian society which reads like a series of journalistic essays.
I read that recently and really enjoyed it.

I've ordered "The Invention of Russia: The Journey from Gorbachev's Freedom to Putin's War" by Arkady Ostrovsky for my flights to Singapore and back.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:20 pm

Dog Stars and Snow Crash.

Deano
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Deano » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Reading Tarkin right now was a gift from a family member who knows im into star wars having disliked the previous star wars books i read (Fate of the Jedi) I didnt think id like tarkin but surprisingly I cant put it down atm

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:38 pm

I was working from another office earlier this week and one of the people there started talking to me about books and was saying how he likes to read about military naval history. Then he asked me what i liked to read and i was like erm I'm reading 'I am Zlatan' at the moment <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:17 pm

My missus just bought me a book called "the chimp Paradox " . I don't know what's she trying to say but it's about harnessing your inner chimp. Cheeky bastard.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Toondes wrote:My missus just bought me a book called "the chimp Paradox " . I don't know what's she trying to say but it's about harnessing your inner chimp. Cheeky bastard.
Micky keeps his inner chimp out in full view <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 am

Bought the 5th Game Of Thrones book on the 31st January and still haven't started it <neg>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:37 am

Just finished Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. Absolutely loved it. Miserable and brutal as hell exposure of narcissism, provincial torpor and wasted chances, all the while managing to have a dry smirk at everything going horribly wrong. Reads ridiculously easy, I recommend it to anybody whose idea of hell was always a desk job and a 3-bed semi for the rest of their life, but finds themselves owning both of those things anyway.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:10 pm

skalpel wrote:Just finished Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. Absolutely loved it. Miserable and brutal as hell exposure of narcissism, provincial torpor and wasted chances, all the while managing to have a dry smirk at everything going horribly wrong. Reads ridiculously easy, I recommend it to anybody whose idea of hell was always a desk job and a 3-bed semi for the rest of their life, but finds themselves owning both of those things anyway.
Desk job and 3 bed mid-terrace <grim>
Kindly deeds done for free!

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 pm

skalpel wrote:Just finished Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. Absolutely loved it. Miserable and brutal as hell exposure of narcissism, provincial torpor and wasted chances, all the while managing to have a dry smirk at everything going horribly wrong. Reads ridiculously easy, I recommend it to anybody whose idea of hell was always a desk job and a 3-bed semi for the rest of their life, but finds themselves owning both of those things anyway.
<laugh> Why? Because it's uplifting or because it will make them feel really s**** about themselves?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Desk job and 3-bed semi <neg>
asbo wrote:
<laugh> Why? Because it's uplifting or because it will make them feel really s**** about themselves?
And this <laugh>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:
Desk job and 3-bed semi <neg>
asbo wrote:
And this <laugh>
<laugh>. I meant because it'd be easier to empathise with the situation. It'll definitely make you feel like s*** because it's hideously depressing, but it is also galvanising/inspirational in its way.