Books

User avatar
Tsi
Japan
Japan
Posts: 11546
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:08 pm
Location: Up North

Re: Books

Post by Tsi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:56 pm

Acid Hippo wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Excellent <awe>. You won't be disappointed.
Wasn't disappointed <awe>

Have you read Perfume by Suskind at all? Tempted to try that as well now.
You should read perfume cracking read, i really enjoyed it. I've not read Pigeon but might pick it up at some point.
Also try The story of Mr. Sommer i read that years ago might even get a fresh copy to reread.

User avatar
Blještav Benny
Croatia
Croatia
Posts: 24178
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Books

Post by Blještav Benny » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Not going to be a classic, but Barton's Autobiography is only a fiver in The Works so might get a copy.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

NathanEr
Darlow's Do
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Re: Books

Post by NathanEr » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:55 am

I am reading Arch of Triumph of Erich Maria Remarque. One of my favorite writers, every novel is a piece of art, not an easy read though.
Erich Maria Remarque has quite an impressive biography, I found out that he liked old manors and collected antiques. He spent his last years in this villa in Switzerland https://tranio.com/switzerland/adt/1628216/, now it is for sale, the one who buys it will touch a piece of history...

User avatar
Japan Papa Goku
Japan
Japan
Posts: 8843
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: Books

Post by Japan Papa Goku » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:57 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:Not going to be a classic, but Barton's Autobiography is only a fiver in The Works so might get a copy.
Bought it last year just to see what he had to say about his time here.

Nothing too surprising. I still think he's a massive t**.
Image

User avatar
Albert's Chip Shop
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:39 pm
Location: The Shire Of Consett
Contact:

Re: Books

Post by Albert's Chip Shop » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:34 pm

I wasn’t impressed by the Barton Biog. Just finished reading Rafa’s Way. Top, Top drawer.

User avatar
Blještav Benny
Croatia
Croatia
Posts: 24178
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Books

Post by Blještav Benny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:39 pm

Just read The Damage Done about a guy imprisoned in Thailand for drug smuggling (his own account). I'm of the opinion that our prisons shouldn't be as cushy as they are (TVs in cells etc) but the conditions and treatment of people in Thai prisons goes beyond what anyone deserves (well, paedos, rapists and serial killers probably deserve it).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
ALF
Russia
Russia
Posts: 20161
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Books

Post by ALF » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:35 pm

Alpha Charlie Sierra wrote:I wasn’t impressed by the Barton Biog. Just finished reading Rafa’s Way. Top, Top drawer.
I question the reliability of it. He doesn't mention gambling at all despite being addicted to it for his whole life.

User avatar
ALF
Russia
Russia
Posts: 20161
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Books

Post by ALF » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Just ordered a self help book. Strangely feels like a new low in life <laugh>

User avatar
jimileysbaldhead
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:35 pm
Location: Melton Mowbray

Re: Books

Post by jimileysbaldhead » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:26 pm

I ordered an anger management book two weeks ago and the f@cking, c@nting, bastarding piece of s*** still isn't in.
My problem is reconciling my gross behaviour with my net income.

User avatar
Colback's Orange Tufts
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10361
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Near the ducks

Re: Books

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:25 am

Reading 'When Friday Comes: Football, War and Revolution in the Middle East' by James Montague. He moved to UAE and out of boredom started to look into local football before the arab spring (and a bit after). Went to pretty much every middle eastern country (Syria, Iran, Lebanon, Libya, Gaza included). Fascinating on the pure passion people have for the game but also how club rivalries mirror long standing cultural and sectarian divisions. National sides a rare occasion these countries come together.

Also the man has courage, he went to some very dangerous places
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

User avatar
Blještav Benny
Croatia
Croatia
Posts: 24178
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Books

Post by Blještav Benny » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:02 pm

[tweet][/tweet]

Could be interesting.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
ALF
Russia
Russia
Posts: 20161
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Books

Post by ALF » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:17 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:[tweet][/tweet]

Could be interesting.
Definitely reading that.

Online
User avatar
OverseersmademesupportenglandTOON
England
England
Posts: 18760
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Books

Post by OverseersmademesupportenglandTOON » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:03 pm

Currently teaching myself machine learning and stumbled across "Life 3.0: Being human in the age of artificial intelligence".

Interesting read in terms of how AI has evolved.

User avatar
Colback's Orange Tufts
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10361
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Near the ducks

Re: Books

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:27 pm

overseasTOON wrote:Currently teaching myself machine learning and stumbled across "Life 3.0: Being human in the age of artificial intelligence".

Interesting read in terms of how AI has evolved.
Might check it out. Also add I've finished attack of the 50 foot Blockchain. A good cynical look at reality behind the hype and not too technical
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Online
User avatar
OverseersmademesupportenglandTOON
England
England
Posts: 18760
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Books

Post by OverseersmademesupportenglandTOON » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:51 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:Currently teaching myself machine learning and stumbled across "Life 3.0: Being human in the age of artificial intelligence".

Interesting read in terms of how AI has evolved.
Might check it out. Also add I've finished attack of the 50 foot Blockchain. A good cynical look at reality behind the hype and not too technical
I've been reading bits and bobs about blockchain and wanted to know more so will check that out.

User avatar
Chappy Al-Shabab
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Posts: 4856
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:56 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Books

Post by Chappy Al-Shabab » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:39 pm

Just started reading "Prisoners of Geography" by Tim Marshall. Interesting read so far <ok>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

User avatar
Blještav Benny
Croatia
Croatia
Posts: 24178
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Books

Post by Blještav Benny » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Really enjoying Shay Given's book at the moment, he's not afraid it lift the lid on a whole host of issues and media lies. The fact that some of our fans gave him stick when he left is an absolute joke and the club can do without morons like that as fans.

Some stories have you in stitches and some of it was pretty deep and emotional.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
PTAO?
Australia
Australia
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Books

Post by PTAO? » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:30 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Really enjoying Shay Given's book at the moment, he's not afraid it lift the lid on a whole host of issues and media lies. The fact that some of our fans gave him stick when he left is an absolute joke and the club can do without morons like that as fans.

Some stories have you in stitches and some of it was pretty deep and emotional.
To be fair, at the time it looked bad. He came out after we had been thumped by Liverpool and said he wanted to leave for Man City, leaving us up s*** creek when he did so on deadline day.

Obviously now with hindsight and more information we can see all wasn't as it seemed, but I can certainly understand why fans were pissed off, just as they were when it happened with Carroll.

User avatar
Blještav Benny
Croatia
Croatia
Posts: 24178
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Books

Post by Blještav Benny » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm

PTAO wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Really enjoying Shay Given's book at the moment, he's not afraid it lift the lid on a whole host of issues and media lies. The fact that some of our fans gave him stick when he left is an absolute joke and the club can do without morons like that as fans.

Some stories have you in stitches and some of it was pretty deep and emotional.
To be fair, at the time it looked bad. He came out after we had been thumped by Liverpool and said he wanted to leave for Man City, leaving us up s*** creek when he did so on deadline day.

Obviously now with hindsight and more information we can see all wasn't as it seemed, but I can certainly understand why fans were pissed off, just as they were when it happened with Carroll.
Yeah, that's why the book and other articles are good as they explain what was going on and how the club (orchestrated by those in charge at board room level) were behaving. But even some time after reports came out about what went on there were elements of our fanbase giving him stick. I went to Villa away when he played against us so quite some time after he'd left and we all knew why (and couldn't blame him) but lots of our away fans were giving him abuse, not in a pantomime villain way either. I just cheered and applauded him louder.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
ALF
Russia
Russia
Posts: 20161
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Books

Post by ALF » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Really enjoying Shay Given's book at the moment, he's not afraid it lift the lid on a whole host of issues and media lies. The fact that some of our fans gave him stick when he left is an absolute joke and the club can do without morons like that as fans.

Some stories have you in stitches and some of it was pretty deep and emotional.
I enjoyed his book. That whole situation with him leaving was a farce. We got humped 5-1 by Liverpool and he got man of the match. If Harper played instead it would have been double figures.

Post Reply