Football Titbits

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Football Titbits

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:47 pm

I hand on heart would love to see multiple players getting sent off for dissent, it's absolutely the only way to stop it. If 4/5 players are sent off per match early on then so be it, they'll soon stop.

I wonder if Arteta and Klopp have read the new rules, two of the worst culprits of being utter tossers.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:45 pm

Will probably be enforced for first few games then forgotten about
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:17 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:45 pm
Will probably be enforced for first few games then forgotten about
Yep just like holding / shirt pulling in the penalty area a few seasons back.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:04 am

Clubs rightly coming under fire for raising matchday ticket prices:

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/exploiting-o ... y-pricing/

Got to keep those players comfortable on their six figure weekly salaries now don't we.

It is disgusting when I hear pundits and former pros trotting out the absolute bollocks 'it's a short career' argument. Lower down the pyramid that is 100% true, but it's an argument that has no place in the context of a PL discussion. Even a 5 year contract on £50k a week (incredibly modest example) is £13m pre-tax and excluding bonuses. That would set anyone up for life and any pundit/former pro rolling out that argument is showing just how entitled or out of touch with reality they are.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:10 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:04 am

Got to keep those players comfortable on their six figure weekly salaries now don't we.

It is disgusting when I hear pundits and former pros trotting out the absolute bollocks 'it's a short career' argument. Lower down the pyramid that is 100% true, but it's an argument that has no place in the context of a PL discussion. Even a 5 year contract on £50k a week (incredibly modest example) is £13m pre-tax and excluding bonuses. That would set anyone up for life and any pundit/former pro rolling out that argument is showing just how entitled or out of touch with reality they are.
I feel you are conflating two things. Player wages and ticket prices.

Ticker prices going up are about clubs wanting to make more money and spend more recklessly on players. Clubs have a pathological inability to spend within their means and treat matchgoing fans as piggie bank.

The players don't set the ticket prices, they do push the clubs for higher wages, because of course they do. Most player wages at the top level come from TV money and sponsorships. If clubs are willing to offer increasingly silly money, players will accept it.
Blaming ticket prices on players seems a bit off, its not their decision.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:19 am

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:10 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:04 am

I feel you are conflating two things. Player wages and ticket prices.

Ticker prices going up are about clubs wanting to make more money and spend more recklessly on players. Clubs have a pathological inability to spend within their means and treat matchgoing fans as piggie bank.

The players don't set the ticket prices, they do push the clubs for higher wages, because of course they do. Most player wages at the top level come from TV money and sponsorships. If clubs are willing to offer increasingly silly money, players will accept it.
Blaming ticket prices on players seems a bit off, its not their decision.
Wreckless spending includes the spend on the wages that players demand tho. It's not just limited to the insane transfer fees. Clubs want to make more money in any way possible to fund this, including through increasing ticket revenues.

Absolutely players don't set ticket prices, and a huge chunk of the money to pay players comes from TV revenue, but it will also undoubtedly come from ticket revenue in part too. Ultimately most clubs don't make a great deal of money as a lot of their revenue goes straight back out on salaries.

Wasn't intending to blame the players as such, more so that the ultimate end goal of raising ticket prices is for clubs to be able to spend more money on transfers and wages.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:50 pm

That's all fair. Ultimately ticket prices are a product of supply and demand. Clubs will always charge the maximum price to meet demand, or balance the two in such ways that it optimizes their revenue. Irrespective of wages - which even if halved tomorrow, you can almost be sure ticket prices would remain the same if the seats remained full.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:32 pm

Former NFL star Tom Brady has become a minority share holder of Sky Bet Championship club Birmingham

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:02 pm

True Faith have done a podcast with the Cheif Financial Officer of the club, an interesting listen. A lot of our fan base seem to think that we should instantly be able to match the spending power and speed of clubs like Man and Arsenal in getting deals lined up and new money coming in and he puts all that into perspective. The commercial department at Arsenal when he was there was 150+ people, when he came to Newcastle in October it was 40 people. I think a lot of the Football Manager / FIFA generation(s) have skewed perceptions on what you can do in 18 months or so, mainly those on Twitter (obviously) it has to be said. Worth a listen. The ambition going forward is to match those clubs on and off the pitch but the processes take time. We've already come a hell of a long way in less than 2 years.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:57 pm

Sheffield Wednesday v Southampton on SS1.

Refs are clamping down on players kicking the ball away (already two yellows for it) and time wasting (+6 mins in first half despite to major injuries etc.).

Hope it continues all season.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:39 pm

Here's Darren Eales Phone In from earlier tonight on Newcastle radio if anyone is interested

Darren Eales Phone-In

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:10 am

Looks like Paqueta will be banned for a long while potentially jailed. Betting allegation tied into spot fixing

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:52 pm

Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood will leave the club by mutual agreement after a six-month internal investigation into his conduct.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:27 pm

The statement is bizarre. Basically we think he's done nothing wrong, however we're getting rid anyway.

And his statement says he was cleared of all charges which isn't the case at all, the charges were dropped by the CPS.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:10 pm

Tbf you can think he’s done nothing wrong but still think it’s best for him to go as the reputational damage to the organisation is still massive.

I think it’s in his best interests to play abroad for a bit as the abuse he’ll get week in week out here would be a lot to deal with, and frankly charges aside, he’s already shown what kind of character he is.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:20 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:10 pm
Tbf you can think he’s done nothing wrong but still think it’s best for him to go as the reputational damage to the organisation is still massive.
I think you can think that, but you don't say it out loud. The Athletic have covered it really well, and in fact Adam Crafton is probably the main reason he's gone.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:03 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:20 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:10 pm
I think you can think that, but you don't say it out loud. The Athletic have covered it really well, and in fact Adam Crafton is probably the main reason he's gone.
The Atheltic usually do a good job don’t they. Tho I did cancel my free trial when the £1 a month started getting charged <laugh>

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:40 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:03 pm
Colly wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:20 pm

The Atheltic usually do a good job don’t they. Tho I did cancel my free trial when the £1 a month started getting charged <laugh>
For what it's worth, by adding a full stop after .com of any article you can read it for free. So it would read theathletic.com.

So it would be: https://theathletic.com./4793686/2023/0 ... l-parties/

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:01 am

Over The Line wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:40 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:03 pm

For what it's worth, by adding a full stop after .com of any article you can read it for free. So it would read theathletic.com.

So it would be: https://theathletic.com./4793686/2023/0 ... l-parties/
Oh, awesome! Thanks <cheers>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Academy, NUWFC and Behind the scenes

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:46 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66612570

This is unbelievable incompetence at the highest level of refereeing. Not giving a correct call to “protect a mate”. VAR has been an utter disaster so far this season with numerous shockers already. If someone as experienced as Mike Dean doesn’t have the balls to give a correct decision then what are more junior officials in VAR huts doing?