Football Titbits

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Football Titbits

Post by Colly » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:20 am

In defense of Nolan after that relegation season he really was enormously key to our rebuild, top scorer in the Championship and promotion seasons from his advanced midfield role, and I don't remember much hassle with him. We moved him on at the right time as age caught up, but was a great player for the club.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:04 pm

Not knocking his contributions but if I remember he was one in the backroom with Barton and a few others kicking up a fuss to get bonuses etc. Whether that's right or wrong of them is a completely different debate to be had. But for me at the time I just remember feeling like they didn't really give a s*** about the club, if felt like a going against Ashley for their own gain kinda deal and probably taking advantage of the fans feelings towards the club to help them get what they wanted.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:35 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67930766

Bans are so inconsistent. Guilty of racism? 10 game ban. Guilty of sexism? 1-2 year ban? Guilty of betting breaches? 6 month ban. Clearly it’s better to be a racist than it is to be a gambler in the eyes of football!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:43 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:04 pm
Not knocking his contributions but if I remember he was one in the backroom with Barton and a few others kicking up a fuss to get bonuses etc. Whether that's right or wrong of them is a completely different debate to be had. But for me at the time I just remember feeling like they didn't really give a s*** about the club, if felt like a going against Ashley for their own gain kinda deal and probably taking advantage of the fans feelings towards the club to help them get what they wanted.
That's fair. I tend to find it difficult to criticise players who ended up at loggerheads with Ashley or eventually left simply because who could blame them, but I've always had issue with Barton since he basically forced the club to tear up his contract. Ben Arfa was another who could play the fans v Ashley card brilliantly, I never really got that vibe from Nolan.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:24 pm

I dont dislike or have any issues with Nolan, I just don't think his connection to the club and fans was completely genuine, I think at that time there was just a decent camaraderie between a few in the squad which worked for our benefit. Like I say I don't knock the contributions but they are not people I'll ever see in the same light as say a Ginola, Solano, Tino etc in regards to having a connection to the club.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:27 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:24 pm
I dont dislike or have any issues with Nolan, I just don't think his connection to the club and fans was completely genuine, I think at that time there was just a decent camaraderie between a few in the squad which worked for our benefit. Like I say I don't knock the contributions but they are not people I'll ever see in the same light as say a Ginola, Solano, Tino etc in regards to having a connection to the club.
Agree with this, he did well for us for a time but I don't think he's looked back on with any great romanticism or affection like the people you mention. Will always be remembered for his hattrick v Sunderland.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:33 pm

I definitely wouldn't put him in that category but there's a hell of a range between Solano and Barton in the club legend stakes...

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:09 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:35 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67930766

Bans are so inconsistent. Guilty of racism? 10 game ban. Guilty of sexism? 1-2 year ban? Guilty of betting breaches? 6 month ban. Clearly it’s better to be a racist than it is to be a gambler in the eyes of football!
I feel like in the current day, it would have been longer
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:27 pm

Liverpool fluke an equaliser v Fulham.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:40 pm

Bloody Liverpool

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:53 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:27 pm
Liverpool fluke an equaliser v Fulham.
And a winner, even
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:07 am

To be fair Liverpool winning this competition opens up 7th place as Europe
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:00 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:07 am
To be fair Liverpool winning this competition opens up 7th place as Europe
I think I’d prefer not to be in Europe than want them to win yet more trophies <laugh>

Fulham shot themselves in the foot a bit, but I would have thought that pre match they’d have taken 2-1 with the home leg to come.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:14 pm

Nottingham Forest have been charged by the Premier League with a breach of the financial rules...given that it took them 6+ months to resolve Everton's case and punish them, seems unlikely that any possible points deduction would come into effect this season.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:18 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:14 pm
Nottingham Forest have been charged by the Premier League with a breach of the financial rules...given that it took them 6+ months to resolve Everton's case and punish them, seems unlikely that any possible points deduction would come into effect this season.
Everton also charged again
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:42 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:18 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:14 pm
The amount forest spent when they came up I don’t think anyone’s surprised!

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:44 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:42 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:18 pm

The amount forest spent when they came up I don’t think anyone’s surprised!
Not at all sure they bought something like 24 players 😆
I'll Hazard a guess

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:16 am

What's everyone's opinion on the Henderson move to Ajax? There's the obvious, of course. I think he's set fire to a lot of things, let alone burning his bridges, but certain things aren't always a priority.

There's been some reports already about it being a "downfall" for the saudi league, high profile player pushing for a move away etc. I think that only becomes a story when several happen in the same window. Then it becomes an avalanche.

As for Henderson, I think the polite term is "badly advised". We can't call him a f***ing idiot because it'd just seem like rivalry s***. But he's been a right berkley hunt. The Athletic interview he did after he moved made things so much worse, because it gave the impression he had no idea why people were disappointed with him.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:03 am

I find it hilarious all the UK articles asking is this the end of the Saudi league after Henderson leaves after 6 months ?

Simple answer(from me) "No"

Henderson hasn't been the same player the last couple of years , I'd also say he wasn't a great player to begin with he also joined one of the worst teams in the league, it be like him going to let's say Luton or Forest and not doing well. His legs are gone, he'll be found out at Ajax too ....(cue him being key player as Ajax go unbeaten for the rest of the season 😄)
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:05 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:03 am
I find it hilarious all the UK articles asking is this the end of the Saudi league after Henderson leaves after 6 months ?

Simple answer(from me) "No"

Henderson hasn't been the same player the last couple of years , I'd also say he wasn't a great player to begin with he also joined one of the worst teams in the league, it be like him going to let's say Luton or Forest and not doing well. His legs are gone, he'll be found out at Ajax too ....(cue him being key player as Ajax go unbeaten for the rest of the season 😄)
Going to be the highest paid player EVER in the Dutch league <laugh>