Over 11.5 months
44%
Under 11.5 months
56%

Total votes: 18

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Sandro Tonali Deal Confirmed? You bet!

Post by bodacious benny » Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:30 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:00 pm
Lucky boy,

As mentioned before match fixing isn't the only issue it's influencing the market
I don't really buy into that argument, one bet even if it's 10k or whatever is barely going to change odds when in the grand scheme it's going to be nothing in terms of the volume of bets during the week/weekend. I think the influence these individual bets make is vastly overstated here.
Definitely. When you think of how much money is bet nationally or globally on top flight football matches, a single bet (even if it is large) from one person won’t sway market odds.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu May 02, 2024 10:39 pm

bodacious benny wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:30 pm

I don't really buy into that argument, one bet even if it's 10k or whatever is barely going to change odds when in the grand scheme it's going to be nothing in terms of the volume of bets during the week/weekend. I think the influence these individual bets make is vastly overstated here.
Definitely. When you think of how much money is bet nationally or globally on top flight football matches, a single bet (even if it is large) from one person won’t sway market odds.
I know people who work regular jobs who would put a couple hundred on bets, i have no doubt in my mind some people in higher paying roles probably would put larger sums down.

I'd imagine most bets that get affected would usually come from quantity of bets and not value of individual bets.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri May 03, 2024 5:58 am

It's not going to change it dramatically no , but that is one of the reasons it isn't allowed.
I'll Hazard a guess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri May 03, 2024 11:57 am

Look to the recent example of Jontay Porter getting a lifetime ban from the NBA for him fixing bets and influencing the market. He of a few bench minutes actually produced repeated prop bet market swings due to people scoring the under on his numbers when he was betting and secretly releasing his health issues that led to early exits from games. He was a blatant idiot, but bettors can still get wise to this stuff and with leagues generating so much revenue from betting now, they can't risk the perception that the system is any more corrupt that it already is.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun May 05, 2024 8:09 am

I'm not saying that they should all be allowed to just bet on whatever they want but I think it does need some perspective. The whole thing is still a bit of a mess and not fit for purpose.

I think this latest Tonali thing has been handled perfectly by the independent panel. They have looked at it all in context, they have pointed out how transparent he had been but also factoring in how these bets that included us were just part of larger accumulators and importantly had us to win.

There is a severity level for these breaches and I think it's wrong to just have huge bans for what in context are very low on the severity scale imo. Almost 12 months for backing your team in accumulator bets is ludicrous.

Again not saying they should be allowed to bet, but I think common sense needs to apply here, especially if the league is so commercially reliant on betting companies.

Would anyone really complain at a first offence ban of say 5 games and big fine, with a suspended 6-12 month ban for further infringements?.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon May 06, 2024 9:07 am

Don’t really see the issue with the current set of rules. Bet all you like but you simply can’t do it on an event or competition you’re actively involved in regardless of the outcome. Allowing to do so would open up all kind of issues.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon May 06, 2024 6:39 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 8:09 am
I'm not saying that they should all be allowed to just bet on whatever they want but I think it does need some perspective. The whole thing is still a bit of a mess and not fit for purpose.

I think this latest Tonali thing has been handled perfectly by the independent panel. They have looked at it all in context, they have pointed out how transparent he had been but also factoring in how these bets that included us were just part of larger accumulators and importantly had us to win.

There is a severity level for these breaches and I think it's wrong to just have huge bans for what in context are very low on the severity scale imo. Almost 12 months for backing your team in accumulator bets is ludicrous.

Again not saying they should be allowed to bet, but I think common sense needs to apply here, especially if the league is so commercially reliant on betting companies.

Would anyone really complain at a first offence ban of say 5 games and big fine, with a suspended 6-12 month ban for further infringements?.
I think it's because the league is so commercially reliant on betting companies they have to be so prudent about betting. The more they're in bed with sports books, the more they have to demonstrate to the fans and industry that it's not a corrupt system. I say none of this to say how Tonali's been dealt with is wrong - I think his original sentence sent the right message, and not extending it with the further evidence was also reasonable. But to maintain the fandom of bettors and non-bettors alike, there needs to be trust that match results and betting markets aren't influenced by betting interests of players.