Manchester Utd 0 - 0 Newcastle Utd – 22/08/15

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Manchester Utd 0 - 0 Newcastle Utd – 22/08/15

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:48 pm

Old Trafford, 12:45, referee Craig Pawson
This coming Saturday Newcastle travel to Old Trafford for a 12:45 kickoff, showing live on BT Sport with the impartial, lively and insightful analysis of Michael Owen.

The corresponding fixture last season was a 3-1 win to the home side, goals from Rooney (2) and Van Persie easily won the game before a late consolation penalty. Losses at Old Trafford are frequent for the Magpies, with the Newcastle's December 2013 the first (and last) since 1972. Later in last season, a late Ashley Young goal snuck a away victory in a poor game.

Our opponents come into this game on the back of a winning three game streak this season. Hard fought, aesthetically challenging wins versus Villa and Spurs sandwich a comfortable 3-1 win in the Champions League. Questions remain about their relative paucity in the striking position, no new centre back and this transfer window's tedious Real Madrid signing story. Their new signings in midfield seems to have slotted in well though.

As for Newcastle, an encouraging start against Southampton was mediated by conceding two poor goals. This was followed by a poor day in South Wales, with defeat looking likely before Janmaat's sending off.

Prediction
2 - 0. I'm bad at predictions* on Newcastle, but I'm moderately confident this won't be a good watch. In midfield I feel Newcastle will struggle to keep possession against the experience on offer. However, Manchester United's attack is not at its best, particularly with Rooney's poor form. I suggest it will take a while for Manchester United to break us down, but eventually we will relent, conceding two goals after 70 minutes of drabness. Newcastle's best avenue would seem to be exploiting Blind's lack of height at cb, possibly through Mitrovic's 'robust' approach to English football so far.
TF Prediction Leagues, Championship win notwithstanding

Or they could score early and thrash us. Or a nil-nil. Or the game gets called off because of flooding. Basically my predictions carry very little weight.

Referee
Craig Pawson will be looking to have a better game than his last, Liverpool's somewhat controversial home win against Bournemouth. The tweak to the offside law was widely seen to be incorrectly applied to Benteke's goal.
Possible Line Ups
<krul>
<saylor> <mbemba> <colo> <haidara>
<colback> <anita>
<ober> <wij> <aarons>
<mitrovic>

Romero
Darmian - Smalling - Blind - Shaw
Schweinsteiger - Schneiderlin
Mata - Hernández - Depay
Rooney
After his torrid time in South Wales, Janmaat is suspended, with Steven Taylor expected to fill in, either at RB or CB with Mbemba moving wide. With Sissoko still recovering from the strain he picked up against Swansea, Aarons may get a chance to come into the side. New signing Thauvin is available but has had little time to prepare, so I doubt he'll start. Up front, many would like to see Mitrovic given a starting chance, particularly in hope of holding the ball up better than Cisse. De Jong and Tiote will be available but Dummett is still out.

For the home side, few changes are expected to a winning side as Van Gaal is not thought to consider rotation for this one. Rojo is near a return, however the Man Utd fans in my office expect Blind to retain his CB after impressive performances. In the no 10 position, I suspect Hernandez may get some game time, but not a start. Van Gaal's side will need to rely on the Mexican this season and a fixture where possession dominance is expected may suit him. Hernandez does have a knack of scoring against us, but then again...
BBC wrote:Januzaj's goal ended his drought of 1,169 minutes in the Premier League. It was his first since April 2014 against Newcastle.
Manager Quotes
The Manchester United manager's press conference was mainly preoccupied with spirited discussions over Pedro and the media coverage:
Van Gaal wrote: I have the idea you want to separate Ed Woodward with me. Never. Never.
Every day I am updated by him and I trust him. I don't think they (the critics) have to doubt Ed Woodward because he has proven already for many, many years he is the right person.
When you ask me, 'Is Pedro fitting the profile?', I cannot lie, I said 'Yes'. But I do not say that I'm interested in the player. That is the difference. I have said before what we are doing is guiding a process and in that process we make decisions.
On Bastien Schweinsteiger starting
Maybe it shall happen tomorrow. We have seen a solution in rotating our [second] captain, Michael Carrick, with Schweinsteiger. I think it's a very good solution because we can spare them both for the big moments.
Meanwhile new signing Thauvin spoke the the NE press pack:
Thauvin wrote:When I arrived, the manager and I had a long chat. He asked me to be an important player for the team. He wants me to get goals, and he wants me to supply goals too. But he also wants me to fulfil my defensive duties as well.
It’s not a problem for me to have such a high price tag. I’m a footballer, and that’s my passion and my job. It’s always been my dream to be a footballer in the Premier League, and I’m happy to be here and do that.
On Speaking through a translator:
Thauvin wrote:Learning English is important for me, and that’s a priority. I’m going to get some English classes arranged straight away. I’m lucky to have so many French speakers here, but I will definitely get out there and learn English because that will be very beneficial. I’m here to bring something good to the team.
Followed by the Newcastle Boss:
McClaren wrote:Thauvin may play tomorrow. He's only had one day of training and I will assess and weigh it up. It's very important that you are creative and in Florian we are creative. I'm excited about that. We are bringing players in who are winners. They have lot that edge and character and we want them to keep that.
Moussa is not as bad as we first thought. He might have a chance for tomorrow. We will leave it as late as possible. Manchester United are a team in form. They have built and look solid. Louis van Gaal has got everything in place and is getting results. There's a lot of talk about Man United not doing this or that. But they are winning efficiently and winning well. I know we are going to find the right system, team and way to play to get results, and we want that to come tomorrow.
TV Coverage as per nufc.com
UK Radio: Live commentary on BBC Radio 5 Live
BT Sport and
SpoilerShow
6'Eren (Den) +HD
Be Sport 1 (Belgium) +HD
beIN Sports Connect (Spain)
beIN Sports MENA 1/11 HD
Benfica TV2
Canal+ Futbo +HD
C+ Sport (France) +HD
C+ Sport (Poland) +HD
Diema Sport 2 HD
Digi Sport 1 (Hun/Svk)
Dolce Sport +HD
ESPN Caribbean
Fox Sports (Italy)
Fox Sports 2 HD (Nederland)
Fox Sports 4 (Australia)
Futbol 1 (Ukraine)
GO Sports 1 +HD
Idman TV
J Sports 4 (Japan)
LIG TV3 +HD
MTV Sport 1 (Finland)
NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
NTV Plus Futbol 1 +HD
O2 Sport (Cz)
OTE Sport 1 HD (Greece)
Play Sports HD1
QQ Sports Live (China)
PremierLeaguePass (NZ)
Sky Mexico
Sky Sport 2 Germany
SportKlub 1 (Slovenia)
SportKlub 3 (Croatia/Serbia)
Sports+ 3/HD (Cyprus)
Star Sports 1 (Asia)
Stod 2 Sport 2 +HD
SuperSport 1 HD Kosovo
SuperSport 3 (Za) +HD
SuperSport 5 Africa
SuperSport MaXimo 1
Teleclub Sport 2/PPV +HD
TSN1/3/4 (Canada) +HD
TV2 Sport Premium HD
TV3+ (Denmark)
ViaPlay (Den/Swe) +HD
Viasat Football (Sweden) +HD
Last edited by Colback's Orange Tufts on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Re: Preview: Manchester Utd vs Newcastle Utd – 22/08/15

Post by Over The Line » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:51 pm

3-0 Man U. Rooney 2, Memphis 1.

If that happens I'm hoping we go out and sign at least one defender before the next game.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:05 pm

I predict that with 10 minutes remaining and the game all tied at 1-1, Mbemba starts to tire so McClaren brings on Iron Mike.

The new boy, Billy Bob Thauvin wins a corner and puts the ball into the middle of the box. Mitro and Iron Mike rise majestically like pickled herrings from the centre spot before Mitro falls foul of his base Serbian rage and lashes out at Iron Mike for having the temerity of being on the same pitch as him.

Iron Mike loses all focus on the game and thinks of how he’ll write a strongly worded letter to Mr. McClaren voicing his disgust at being treated in this manner and before he’s even decided whether to compose his letter to Steve with ‘Dear Sirs’ or ‘To whom it may concern’ the ball ricochets off his head and slams into the back of the net.

In the ensuing celebratory melee, Mitro; who is still befouled with bloodlust, kills Wayne Rooney and is found on the penalty spot wearing Rooney’s face and doing a little dance.

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:08 pm

overseasTOON wrote:I predict that with 10 minutes remaining and the game all tied at 1-1, Mbemba starts to tire so McClaren brings on Iron Mike.

The new boy, Billy Bob Thauvin wins a corner and puts the ball into the middle of the box. Mitro and Iron Mike rise majestically like pickled herrings from the centre spot before Mitro falls foul of his base Serbian rage and lashes out at Iron Mike for having the temerity of being on the same pitch as him.

Iron Mike loses all focus on the game and thinks of how he’ll write a strongly worded letter to Mr. McClaren voicing his disgust at being treated in this manner and before he’s even decided whether to compose his letter to Steve with ‘Dear Sirs’ or ‘To whom it may concern’ the ball ricochets off his head and slams into the back of the net.

In the ensuing celebratory melee, Mitro; who is still befouled with bloodlust, kills Wayne Rooney and is found on the penalty spot wearing Rooney’s face and doing a little dance.
Skybet are offering that at 80/1 if you're interested.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:12 pm

Hope we play attacking football, maybe even two up top.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

CheickyTiote
Miggy's Smiles

Post by CheickyTiote » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Siem's back in the squad

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:55 pm

CheickyTiote wrote:Siem's back in the squad

Did filming of the new series of Community wrap up earlier than expected?

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Just hope he doesn't get drug tested.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Edt
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Edt » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:48 pm

overseasTOON wrote:I predict that with 10 minutes remaining and the game all tied at 1-1, Mbemba starts to tire so McClaren brings on Iron Mike.

<laugh>

For some reason I see us winning this one. We'll be totally overrun for the whole game but score a flukey goal, probably from Colback, at around 70 minutes in.

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:50 pm

edt wrote:

<laugh>

For some reason I see us winning this one. We'll be totally overrun for the whole game but score a flukey goal, probably from Colback, at around 70 minutes in.
It's a early kick off. All betting people know to avoid this game as it never does what you expect.

We're going to win <awe>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:30 pm

edt wrote:

<laugh>

Something crazy might happen, but I can't imagine us keeping a clean sheet.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:52 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote: Our opponents come into this game on the back of a winning three game steak this season. Hard fought, aesthetically challenging wins versus Villa and Spurs sandwich a comfortable 3-1 win in the Champions League.
Were you hungry when you wrote this?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote: Our opponents come into this game on the back of a winning three game steak this season. Hard fought, aesthetically challenging wins versus Villa and Spurs sandwich a comfortable 3-1 win in the Champions League.
Were you hungry when you wrote this?
<laugh> I'm always hungry
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:51 am

Rooney to score - get your house on it.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:14 am

4-1 is my guess.
Kindly deeds done for free!

hoofball
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by hoofball » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:49 am

Juliet Papa Golf wrote:Rooney to score - get your house on it.
I don't really bet, but I'm definitely putting money on this. It's more certain than death or taxes.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:57 am

hoofball wrote:
Juliet Papa Golf wrote:Rooney to score - get your house on it.
I don't really bet, but I'm definitely putting money on this. It's more certain than death or taxes.
Only about 94% of people born have died.

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:31 am

[tweet][/tweet]

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Manchester Utd vs Newcastle Utd – 22/08/15

Post by Seagull » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:37 am

I hope Aarons plays.

Tony Soprano

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Manchester Utd vs Newcastle Utd – 22/08/15

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:41 am

I want soutzoukakia smyrneika too wrote:I hope Aarons plays.
This.

I'd love a front three of Aarons, Mitrovic and Perez. It'll probably be Aarons, cisse, Obertan.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?