The hardest Championship ever?

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)

The hardest Championship ever?

Post by daib0 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:53 pm

The hardest Championship ever??

I got thinking that this season is turning out to be a very high level indeed. So I went quickly back on each of the last SIX seasons, at exactly this point in the schedule, virtually all teams on either 30 or 31 games played.

Looking at the relative strengths of each season, but not particularly any one club, I added up the total points gained by the front runners to see if this was an usually strong season ...

Here goes -

2016-17
Newcastle 30 - 65
Brighton 30 - 64
Huddersfield 30 - 58
Reading 31 - 57
Leeds 31 - 54
Sheff Wed 30 - 52
--------------------
Norwich 31 - 50

TOTAL POINTS BY EVERYONE: 400

2015-16
Hull 30 - 59
Middlesbrough 29 - 57
Burnley 31 - 56
Brighton 30 - 56
Sheff Wed 31 - 53
Derby 31 - 51
--------------------
Birmingham 31 - 48

TOTAL POINTS BY EVERYONE: 380

2014-15
Bournemouth 31 - 59
Middlesbrough 30 - 59
Derby 30 - 58
Ipswich 31 - 57
Watford 31 - 56
Norwich 31 - 53
--------------------
Brentford 31 - 52

TOTAL POINTS BY EVERYONE: 394

2013-14
Leicester 30 - 67
Burnley 31 - 60
QPR 29 - 56
Derby 30 - 55
Nottm Forest 30 54
Reading 30 47
--------------------
Brighton 30 - 46

TOTAL POINTS BY EVERYONE: 385

2012-13
Cardiff 30 - 64
Hull 31 - 56
Leicester 30 - 53
Watford 31 53
Crystal Pal 31 - 52
Middlesbrough 31 - 50
--------------------
Brighton 31 - 46

TOTAL POINTS BY EVERYONE: 374

2011-12
West Ham 30 - 57
Southampton 31 - 56
Cardiff 31 - 53
Blackpool 31 - 52
Birmingham 30 - 51
Reading 30 - 51

--------------------
Hull 30 - 50

TOTAL POINTS BY EVERYONE: 370

My intuition has been confirmed. In no other recent season has the sum of points for the top SEVEN at this stage reached 400 points.

Curious how some teams pop up regularly, e.g. Middlesbrough or Brighton, whilst others are one season wonders.

In part, weighing up these stats and on your own instinct, would you say it is the most difficult season ever for these clubs to get promoted?

And will the three promoted teams in fact come from these seven? Or any surprise likely with a super charge from lower down the table, perhaps unforeseen at present?

Interested as a Royals fan (as you know!) to hear your thoughts!!
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Re: The hardest Championship ever?

Post by Chappy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Couldn't it be argued that the league is easier as a lot more teams are getting more points? Not sure if the number of points should be the only factor considered.

I wouldn't say it's a stroll in the park though, this season does seem to be more difficult than the last time we were in the Championship... just look at our number of defeats.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:43 pm

It definitely feels harder* this time round, but I think that's more to do with my expectations. Last time round we lost our 'better' players and didnt reinvest. The club was up for sale, we had given the job to an (at the time) assistant manager on an interim basis and we were expecting a struggle.

This season has felt like one of, if not the most positive we've had in the Ashley era, with a world class manager and the strongest squad in the league. The memory of how 'easy' it seemed last time will have helped raise expectations even more.

* <perv>

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)

Post by daib0 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:50 pm

yeah, another view could be that if it's harder, then more matches are drawn, making a lower points tally ...
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:52 pm

TBC wrote:It definitely feels harder* this time round, but I think that's more to do with my expectations. Last time round we lost our 'better' players and didnt reinvest. The club was up for sale, we had given the job to an (at the time) assistant manager on an interim basis and we were expecting a struggle.

This season has felt like one of, if not the most positive we've had in the Ashley era, with a world class manager and the strongest squad in the league. The memory of how 'easy' it seemed last time will have helped raise expectations even more.

* <perv>
It does feel harder but I was surprised to see we're 5 points and 7 goals better off than we were by this point last time.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:06 pm

It's harder in the sense that the top five or six are all still racking up points, and every time we drop points it feels like someone's catching up (or going ahead in Brighton's case). Last time round we were barely challenged (remember how scared we were about Nottingham Forest...) and could confidently predict automatic promotion much earlier.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:05 pm

Overall standard of teams in the championship has definitely improved since 09-10.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Definitely feels harder but 3rd place Huddersfield aren't too much better off than previous 3rd place sides.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:33 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:It does feel harder but I was surprised to see we're 5 points and 7 goals better off than we were by this point last time.
Stolen from twitter but a 30 game comparison of each of our last 3 second tier seasons:

92/93
W19 D7 L4 GD+27
Points 64

09/10
W17 D10 L3 GD+31
Points 61

16/17
W21 D2 L7 GD+35
Points 65

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:45 pm

However difficult it is, we'd be in the flight of our lives in the PL next season if we go up. We're a long long way from even looking at being a top half side (assuming we go up) and 17th will be our aim next season. Desperately need to add quality in key areas, traditionally there used to always be a few sides in the PL that you could identify as the ones that 'should' go down. Those days are over and literally half the league could realistically see themselves as relegation candidates on any given season.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:However difficult it is, we'd be in the flight of our lives in the PL next season if we go up. We're a long long way from even looking at being a top half side (assuming we go up) and 17th will be our aim next season. Desperately need to add quality in key areas, traditionally there used to always be a few sides in the PL that you could identify as the ones that 'should' go down. Those days are over and literally half the league could realistically see themselves as relegation candidates on any given season.
This. Despite the fact we're top there's still a LOT of work to be done.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:19 pm

TBC wrote:It definitely feels harder* this time round, but I think that's more to do with my expectations. Last time round we lost our 'better' players and didnt reinvest. The club was up for sale, we had given the job to an (at the time) assistant manager on an interim basis and we were expecting a struggle.

* <perv>
Now that the club actually has some direction it feels like there's more at stake this time around. It's made this season much less enjoyable/more stressful for me.

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:However difficult it is, we'd be in the flight of our lives in the PL next season if we go up. We're a long long way from even looking at being a top half side (assuming we go up) and 17th will be our aim next season. Desperately need to add quality in key areas, traditionally there used to always be a few sides in the PL that you could identify as the ones that 'should' go down. Those days are over and literally half the league could realistically see themselves as relegation candidates on any given season.
As long as we keep Rafa I'm confident we will spend wisely in the summer and should stay up.

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Juliet Papa Golf wrote:

* <perv>
Now that the club actually has some direction it feels like there's more at stake this time around. It's made this season much less enjoyable/more stressful for me.
Really? For me this is the first time I've been excited about Newcastle United in a long time. That does make this season far more stressful but so far I've enjoyed this season more than any other.
Don't hinder the Trinder

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:20 pm

MultipleJesuses wrote:
Juliet Papa Golf wrote:
Really? For me this is the first time I've been excited about Newcastle United in a long time. That does make this season far more stressful but so far I've enjoyed this season more than any other.
This! It's nice to be winning games AND knowing your going in the right direction.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:23 pm

harder for everyone else maybe <roll>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:34 pm

I agree whole heartedly. Just look at Leicester this season. On paper they are miles better than we are and they are in a relegation battle.

Honestly next season scares me a lot more than this one does. We are going to need to spend a lot in the summer and replace most of our team if we want to do ok.

lets look at our starting 11

Darlow (replace)
Yedlin (keep) Lascelles (keep) Clark (replace) Dummett (replace)
Ritchie (keep just) Hayden (replace) Shelvey (keep) Goufran (replace)
Perez (replace)
Gayle (replace)

so by my reckoning thats 7 replacements in just our starting 11 needed.

then if you look at the bench

Ameobi (replace)
Sterry (replace)
Lazaar (replace)
Sels (replace)
Haidara (keep)
Barlasar (replace)
Hanely (replace)
Mitro (replace <wah> )

Graw
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Graw » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:15 pm

Hjl wrote:
I agree whole heartedly. Just look at Leicester this season. On paper they are miles better than we are and they are in a relegation battle.

Honestly next season scares me a lot more than this one does. We are going to need to spend a lot in the summer and replace most of our team if we want to do ok.

lets look at our starting 11

Darlow (replace)
Yedlin (keep) Lascelles (keep) Clark (replace) Dummett (replace)
Ritchie (keep just) Hayden (replace) Shelvey (keep) Goufran (replace)
Perez (replace)
Gayle (replace)

so by my reckoning thats 7 replacements in just our starting 11 needed.

then if you look at the bench

Ameobi (replace)
Sterry (replace)
Lazaar (replace)
Sels (replace)
Haidara (keep)
Barlasar (replace)
Hanely (replace)
Mitro (replace <wah> )
Agree with most of them but replace Gayle after the form hes been in this season would be idiotic imo, if he keeps on scoring when he comes back his confidence will be sky high going into next season (which as we know confidence can make or break a striker) and the worst thing we could do to destroy that is replace him after the form hes had.

And I think he will do just fine in the prem, he should at least be given a chance to start for a while.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:08 pm

We wouldn't need to replace Clark either. He's one of the best CBs we've had for a long time.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Why in the world would we keep Haidara and replace Dummett?