Match day thread- Norwich v NUFC

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Match day thread- Norwich v NUFC

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Good performance tonight. We battered them in the second half, and they're an in form side.
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:06 pm

Come through the three away games with 5-9 points and we've as good as sealed promotion in my eyes. Will definitely define our season though, one way or the other.

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:06 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
UlversToon wrote:Two home games coming up which we should be winning - Villa & Bristol City - before three tricky away games, which could define our season, and I fancy us to take points from both Huddersfield & Reading!
In all honesty i'm not bothered that we are away in those three games. When not gifting the opposition two goals, I am more confident of our away form than our home.
This. It's the next two games that we could easily f*** up. Win those and I'll be almost confident going into the away games against Brighton et al.

Jaiston
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Jaiston » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Awful from Lascelles (made up for it mind) and Darlow (wtf?) tonight. Yet again Mitro missing good chances as well, we should have been 2-0 up if he could finish.

Toon Ireland
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Toon Ireland » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:35 pm

At least Gayle is back now and hopefully he'll have his match sharpness back for the away games coming up

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:43 pm

[tweet][/tweet]

<laugh>

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Not a bad result. The teams directly below is play each other a few times over the next week or two if I remember right. And we'll have Gayle back who'll finish the chances Mitro is wasting.
Don't hinder the Trinder

Holystone...
Grammer Police Chef
Grammer Police Chef

Post by Holystone... » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Just seen highlights. Our two goals conceded were howlers.
Ashley tells you it's raining. Do you look out the window?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:02 pm

Six points is a realistic expectation from the next two home games. That'll be a decent return from 4 games.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:44 am

Disappointing as we deserved the win. Defence let us down massively, should never have to score 3 goals to win a game if you're a decent side. Mitro needs to get some confidence back somehow though, just doesn't look like he believes in himself in front of goal. Crazy that this is the same guy that walked across the 6 yard box with the ball so casually earlier in the season.

I'd give Elliot the gloves against Villa, Darlow is a good keeper and he's still young but that's a few dodgy moments in a few weeks now. Sels got dropped for less.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:49 am

ALF wrote:Disappointing as we deserved the win. Defence let us down massively, should never have to score 3 goals to win a game if you're a decent side. Mitro needs to get some confidence back somehow though, just doesn't look like he believes in himself in front of goal. Crazy that this is the same guy that walked across the 6 yard box with the ball so casually earlier in the season.

I'd give Elliot the gloves against Villa, Darlow is a good keeper and he's still young but that's a few dodgy moments in a few weeks now. Sels got dropped for less.
I said the same about Elliot a few weeks ago, darlow had done great and everything but the difference between a good keeper and a great keeper is clean sheets on a regular basis and not many keepers have that trait. In his day given had it for us, krul had it and Elliot hopefully has it, darlow is good but we do leak too many goals and a few howlers creeping in, the howler against qpr and again last night.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:24 am

ALF wrote:Sels got dropped for less.
My biggest bugbear of the season so far.

Can't remember who it was but someone made the point that Darlow has almost 'earned' the right to make these mistakes. I'd have to disagree, he's played well but not well enough to start costing us points.

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:29 am

ALF wrote:Disappointing as we deserved the win. Defence let us down massively, should never have to score 3 goals to win a game if you're a decent side. Mitro needs to get some confidence back somehow though, just doesn't look like he believes in himself in front of goal. Crazy that this is the same guy that walked across the 6 yard box with the ball so casually earlier in the season.

You can't talk about Mitro's lack of confidence and then say you'd drop Darlow for one mistake. That's the biggest confidence killer to a footballer.
TBC wrote:
ALF wrote:Sels got dropped for less.
My biggest bugbear of the season so far.

Can't remember who it was but someone made the point that Darlow has almost 'earned' the right to make these mistakes. I'd have to disagree, he's played well but not well enough to start costing us points.
He hasn't earned the right to make a mistake but he has earned the right to be cut some slack when he does considering how good he's been. I don't hate Sels as much as most on here but I'm confident we wouldn't be sitting in as strong a position if Darlow hadn't have come in.
Don't hinder the Trinder

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:03 am

MultipleJesuses wrote:You can't talk about Mitro's lack of confidence and then say you'd drop Darlow for one mistake. That's the biggest confidence killer to a footballer.
I know this wasn't aimed at me but I both agree and disagree. Sels was dropped after a bad performance and a load of abuse from 'fans' causing him to delete his twitter account. I thought at the time the worst thing for Rafa to do was to drop Sels but I actually think this situation is slightly different.

For me the mistakes Darlow makes or looks capable of making are different to Sels just looking shaky and maybe struggling to adapt to english second tier football. Darlow is more accustomed to this league and yet is still making huge clangers like dropping the ball (Rotherham) or completely missing a kick (Norwich).

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:04 am

On a positive note we're top of the league, have more points than anyone else, have won more games than anyone else, have scored more goals than anyone else and have conceded less goals than anyone else all with Colback in the team for most of the season!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:31 am

UlversToon wrote:On a positive note we're top of the league, have more points than anyone else, have won more games than anyone else, have scored more goals than anyone else and have conceded less goals than anyone else all with Colback in the team for most of the season!
<applause>

This is why I'm in the optimistic brigade rather than worrying about slipping into p3. We've got a nice little cushion and two winnable home games coming up. People are worried about Huddersfield as they're in great form but I'd 100% take our position and form over having Huddersfields form but be in p3.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:56 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
UlversToon wrote:On a positive note we're top of the league, have more points than anyone else, have won more games than anyone else, have scored more goals than anyone else and have conceded less goals than anyone else all with Colback in the team for most of the season!
<applause>

This is why I'm in the optimistic brigade rather than worrying about slipping into p3. We've got a nice little cushion and two winnable home games coming up. People are worried about Huddersfield as they're in great form but I'd 100% take our position and form over having Huddersfields form but be in p3.
I really do hope you're right but we had the same conversation when we were 9 points clear then again when we were 7 points clear. Out of the last 5 games they've gained 4 points on us and are only 5 behind. It's become a 3 horse race and if anyone out of us, Brighton or Huddersfield stumble then it could be enough to give them a problem. Fortunately it's looking like Brighton might as they have previous, have only won 2 from last 5 and have been behind in 4 of those 5 games and as far as I know are playing their full strength team.

I honestly think Huddersfield will get automatic promotion, I really do.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:56 am

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:25 pm

TBC wrote:
MultipleJesuses wrote:You can't talk about Mitro's lack of confidence and then say you'd drop Darlow for one mistake. That's the biggest confidence killer to a footballer.
I know this wasn't aimed at me but I both agree and disagree. Sels was dropped after a bad performance and a load of abuse from 'fans' causing him to delete his twitter account. I thought at the time the worst thing for Rafa to do was to drop Sels but I actually think this situation is slightly different.

For me the mistakes Darlow makes or looks capable of making are different to Sels just looking shaky and maybe struggling to adapt to english second tier football. Darlow is more accustomed to this league and yet is still making huge clangers like dropping the ball (Rotherham) or completely missing a kick (Norwich).
Surely goalkeeper is the position that doesn't necessarily require a player to adapt. You're stopping shots and catching crosses. But I do agree in that I don't think Sels should have been dropped when he was either, but then if you feel Sels shouldn't have been dropped for shakey performances, I can't really see an argument for dropping a superior keeper who's made two big mistakes in 20+ matches.
Don't hinder the Trinder

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:30 pm

MultipleJesuses wrote:Surely goalkeeper is the position that doesn't necessarily require a player to adapt. You're stopping shots and catching crosses. But I do agree in that I don't think Sels should have been dropped when he was either, but then if you feel Sels shouldn't have been dropped for shakey performances, I can't really see an argument for dropping a superior keeper who's made two big mistakes in 20+ matches.
David De Gea?

I'm by no means suggesting Sels could be as good, but I think young foreign players can struggle over here regardless of position.