Club Hatred

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Re: Club Hatred

Post by Chappy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:33 pm

I f***ing hate Sunderland. Doesn't stop me from having mackem friends or owt. One of my best mates at school was a Sunderland fan, and my ex was a mackem. She can f*** off though.

I really do think I'm responsible for our winless streak against them. It's God punishing me for going out with a mackem.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Heisen wrote:
Aldridge Prior wrote:
<scratch>
I hate the Mackems - or any other group of fans -that judge me as a person based on my choice of football club.
<scratch> <scratch> <scratch>

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:36 pm

Colly wrote:
Heisen wrote:
I hate the Mackems - or any other group of fans -that judge me as a person based on my choice of football club.
<scratch> <scratch> <scratch>
I don't get what is confusing about what I'm saying here. If I meet a person, and they judge me because of a f***ing football club I support, then I in turn will judge that person as being a bit of a t***. Has nothing to do with who they support but them as a person.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Chappy wrote:I f***ing hate Sunderland. Doesn't stop me from having mackem friends or owt. One of my best mates at school was a Sunderland fan, and my ex was a mackem. She can f*** off though.

I really do think I'm responsible for our winless streak against them. It's God punishing me for going out with a mackem.
This proper tickled me for some reason <laugh>

Also on their winning streak me mam started seeing a mackem and we haven't beat them for as long as he's been around. <neg> Thank f*** I don't live at home anymore.

Caer Newydd
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Caer Newydd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:35 pm

Don't like to use the word hate,
Though some teams and their supporters do nauseate,
Mackems, take what they say with a pinch of salt,
They were born that way, its not their fault,
Its a sin to mock the afflicted,
Whose capacity to reason is rather restricted,
Scousers, with their accent exceedingly rare,
Are just an annoyance that we all have to bear,
My particular dislike, for a personal reason,
Goes back to the 74-75 season,
Is for the moronic half-breeds,
That hail from the City of Leeds.

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Toondes wrote:The Sunderland games are my most favourite and most hated games that we play. I'm from Newcastle and work with Mackems (who I get on with ) . On a match day the hatred I have for their club and the fans escalate to a level off the charts though. It's probably hard to understand , and no doubt sounds quite pathetic , but it's what I grew up with. For that 90mins I totally despise the club . After the games all done and dusted its back to normal. I take a lot of pleasure when they lose and I know they do to the same with us.
I've probably made myself sound mental but it's quite hrs to explain.
I can totally relate to that. I have many friends who are red and white, but I hate their club with a passion. I can't understand any Newcastle fan from this area who doesn't?
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Somebody's pinched my sombrero wrote:
Toondes wrote:The Sunderland games are my most favourite and most hated games that we play. I'm from Newcastle and work with Mackems (who I get on with ) . On a match day the hatred I have for their club and the fans escalate to a level off the charts though. It's probably hard to understand , and no doubt sounds quite pathetic , but it's what I grew up with. For that 90mins I totally despise the club . After the games all done and dusted its back to normal. I take a lot of pleasure when they lose and I know they do to the same with us.
I've probably made myself sound mental but it's quite hrs to explain.
I can totally relate to that. I have many friends who are red and white, but I hate their club with a passion. I can't understand any Newcastle fan from this area who doesn't?
Why though?
Kindly deeds done for free!

PISTON (BLACKCAT)
Pope's Goalposts

Post by PISTON (BLACKCAT) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Newcastle-Constant rivalry(Especially the Keegan era which was a bleak period to say the least).
Leeds-There's been some very bitter confrontations with Leeds down the years, not as many lately though but the feeling is still there.

Coventry-Well documented. 90% of Sunderland fans hate Coventry, 9% dislike them and the other 1% are f*ckwits!!!

When you follow a team that regularly gets beaten off every side its hard to single one out for special hatred.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:54 pm

The Angry Badger. wrote:
Chappy wrote:I f***ing hate Sunderland. Doesn't stop me from having mackem friends or owt. One of my best mates at school was a Sunderland fan, and my ex was a mackem. She can f*** off though.

This proper tickled me for some reason <laugh>

Also on their winning streak me mam started seeing a mackem and we haven't beat them for as long as he's been around. <neg> Thank f*** I don't live at home anymore.
Maybe it's that - tell her to get rid!
PISTON (BLACKCAT) wrote:Newcastle-Constant rivalry(Especially the Keegan era which was a bleak period to say the least).
Leeds-There's been some very bitter confrontations with Leeds down the years, not as many lately though but the feeling is still there.

Coventry-Well documented. 90% of Sunderland fans hate Coventry, 9% dislike them and the other 1% are f*ckwits!!!

When you follow a team that regularly gets beaten off every side its hard to single one out for special hatred.
Did your rivalry with Leeds start when you were in the Championship? I can remember my mate at school always going on about what a bunch of bell ends they were - needless to say, nothing's changed, they're one of the most hated clubs in England (if not the most).

What's the crack with Coventry?

PISTON (BLACKCAT)
Pope's Goalposts

Post by PISTON (BLACKCAT) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:45 pm

PISTON (BLACKCAT) wrote:Newcastle-Constant rivalry(Especially the Keegan era which was a bleak period to say the least).

Did your rivalry with Leeds start when you were in the Championship? I can remember my mate at school always going on about what a bunch of bell ends they were - needless to say, nothing's changed, they're one of the most hated clubs in England (if not the most).

What's the crack with Coventry?[/quote]

Leeds goes a long way back. It wasn't friendly before but it really started when one of their players broke Bobby Kerr's leg when he was very young(he was a fairly small fella anyway). In the following games various Sunderland players were out for revenge and largely got it with every match being fierce. By todays standards i'm not exaggerating to say there'd probably be no one left on the pitch!!!
Then there was the notorious FA Cup series in the late 60's as one tie went to three games and finished in a second replay at neutral Hull of all places! This was the game where it later transpired Don Revie had bribed the referee. This was confirmed by a number of Leeds players later and included in Peter Lorrimer's own book. Sunderland lost 1-2 after the ref gave a penalty to Leeds right near the end. The incident happened 3 to 4 yards outside the box and Leeds players admitted later they were embarrassed by it. Two Sunderland players were then sent off and there was still time for a pitch invasion with fans trying to attack the ref!!!! The first game still stands as Leeds record all-time home attendance.
Wembley '73 goes without saying. In the late 70's and early-mid 80's there was lots of trouble between both sets of fans and believe it or not Sunderland really took it to them at Elland Road in large numbers. One game S/Land climbed up into the seats and virtually cleared them. Another S/Land basically cleared fence after fence chasing Leeds and emptied half the paddock. My first arrest was at Leeds, for one of these games!!!!
They were always known as Dirty Leeds and many people older than me hated them way more than Newcastle.

Coventry was based on the 1976/77 cheating incident were they deliberately kicked off 15 minutes late on the final game. Without going into too much detail it needed a very specific set of results for Sunderland to go down and Coventry/Bristol City to stay up. Jimmy Hill was Coventry Chairman and he held their kick off back and when they got the Sunderland score through both teams just stopped playing. They even put it up on the scoreboard.
There was an FA Enquiry about it and unbelievably Jimmy Hill sat on the panel for the hearing as he also worked at the FA at the same time. F*cking scandal really as they let the result stand and the punishment was minimal. This game later featured in a BBC Documentary titled "Cheating In Sport".
I think this was the actual game that saw all relevant final day games having to kick off at the same time. Also, that people couldn't have certain dual roles at the FA and a club. It was a long time ago and i think the bitterness now is as much towards Hill/The FA and the lack of justice at the enquiry.Cheating C*nts F.C. <laugh>

There you go. You're now a fully fledged Mackem!!! Welcome to the club! <laugh>

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Both very good reasons I guess <laugh>

PISTON (BLACKCAT)
Pope's Goalposts

Post by PISTON (BLACKCAT) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:49 pm

Chappy wrote:Both very good reasons I guess <laugh>
Both long standing. Coventry probably seems a bit random to outsiders but most other fans hate Leeds so that one is easy, although ours feels quite strong. Maybe in later years Leeds have picked up other rivalries ie Man Utd etc. so our rivalry is diluted.
One thing i'd say is Sunderland's hate for Coventry hasn't really transpired into fans getting battered, it's more focused on the club itself. I can't say the same about Leeds as the fans/club are both hated in equal measure by many.

Sunderland/Newcastle rivalry is always there but i think it goes through peaks and troughs. For example, when we first came head to head again after our holiday during the Keegan era it was intense. The first couple of seasons at the SOL were amongst the worst ive witnessed with huge mobs massed near the bridge. Once the games got into a regular pattern things settled down and there's far less trouble nowadays but the police operation and seats/all tickets obviously play their part.
Always seems to be more trouble when there's been a year or two without a derby game. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!!!

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:01 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Somebody's pinched my sombrero wrote: I can totally relate to that. I have many friends who are red and white, but I hate their club with a passion. I can't understand any Newcastle fan from this area who doesn't?
Why though?
I remember reading a quote from the late great bobby Robson who said towards the end Sunderland (think it was when niall Quinn was chairman) used to send a car round every Saturday to pick him up, take him to the Sunderland match, sit him in the box, feed and water him then take him home afterwards, he said "I still hated them though" even my Sunderland supporting mates love that story.

PISTON (BLACKCAT)
Pope's Goalposts

Post by PISTON (BLACKCAT) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:09 pm

gawalls wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:
Why though?
I remember reading a quote from the late great bobby Robson who said towards the end Sunderland (think it was when niall Quinn was chairman) used to send a car round every Saturday to pick him up, take him to the Sunderland match, sit him in the box, feed and water him then take him home afterwards, he said "I still hated them though" even my Sunderland supporting mates love that story.
Bobby Robson was at Sunderland most weeks and by many accounts hardly went to Newcastle, if at all. Not sure if it was mainly to his time there finishing on a bad note.
I bumped into Bobby Robson once on the bottom of Northumberland Street near the jeweller's junction. Had a bit of banter with him, he was a great fella and knew all the Sunderland players names. It was obvious he'd seen them play regularly, well at least enough to know they were sh*te!!! <laugh>

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:20 pm

PISTON (BLACKCAT) wrote:
gawalls wrote:
Bobby Robson was at Sunderland most weeks and by many accounts hardly went to Newcastle, if at all. Not sure if it was mainly to his time there finishing on a bad note.
I bumped into Bobby Robson once on the bottom of Northumberland Street near the jeweller's junction. Had a bit of banter with him, he was a great fella and knew all the Sunderland players names. It was obvious he'd seen them play regularly, well at least enough to know they were sh*te!!! <laugh>
Yeah he was class, I read his autobiography, good read and gave us some of the best football to watch at Newcastle ( in my time anyway)

PISTON (BLACKCAT)
Pope's Goalposts

Post by PISTON (BLACKCAT) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:44 pm

gawalls wrote:
PISTON (BLACKCAT) wrote: Bobby Robson was at Sunderland most weeks and by many accounts hardly went to Newcastle, if at all. Not sure if it was mainly to his time there finishing on a bad note.
Yeah he was class, I read his autobiography, good read and gave us some of the best football to watch at Newcastle ( in my time anyway)
Newcastle had some good players back then. Probably a sore point but its amazing they didn't win a single trophy in that era. They always seemed to get so close and simply by the law of averages you'd expect the cards to drop right at least once. If a trophy had come they'd have deserved it overall on merit but they didn't even get a "lucky" one which to me was the biggest surprise as they peppered the bullseye so many times. I suppose it didn't help that a couple of the FA Cup Finals were against very good sides so nothing was made easy, unlike other years where lesser teams get to a final.

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:50 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Somebody's pinched my sombrero wrote: I can totally relate to that. I have many friends who are red and white, but I hate their club with a passion. I can't understand any Newcastle fan from this area who doesn't?
Why though?
Nearly all of them absolutely hate us. They hate Newcastle more than they love their own club. And I mean absolutely hate. Coming from a mackem heartland, the amount of s*** I had to endure beggars belief. That Piston bloke will know what I mean? As I said, I've got a canny few red and white mates who I think the world of, but I hate their club. Always will do.
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:01 pm

gawalls wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:
Why though?
Can't imagine him saying that at all.
Kindly deeds done for free!

PISTON (BLACKCAT)
Pope's Goalposts

Post by PISTON (BLACKCAT) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Somebody's pinched my sombrero wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:
Why though?
Nearly all of them absolutely hate us. They hate Newcastle more than they love their own club. And I mean absolutely hate. Coming from a mackem heartland, the amount of s*** I had to endure beggars belief. That Piston bloke will know what I mean? As I said, I've got a canny few red and white mates who I think the world of, but I hate their club. Always will do.
Most of the real bitterness/envy came from the Keegan era. Not necessarily because of newcastle's success, more because it came at a time sunderland were at a real low so we were literally world's apart. Up until that era and since there hasn't been a lot between the two clubs. There shouldn't really need to be a reason for envy nowadays but for some the Keegan era brings back nightmares. Ive continuously worked in bars and clubs in newcastle during and after so ive taken more than my share of piss taking. The first Reid era wins at SJP were long overdue for me and at last i could go to work and give a bit back.
As a youngish lad in an era of many beatings i never ever thought i'd see us win six in a row, never ever. Things tend to even themselves out though. Strangely, i actually think we've been "robbed" of a few other wins in recent years on the balance of play. I think you've got out of jail a couple of times with a draw.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:38 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
gawalls wrote:
Can't imagine him saying that at all.
My dad was a Sunderland fan and a fireman, he was called out to niall Quinn's place once or twice (something to do with horses he kept) and Quinn told him that story apparently, was probably said jokingly to him by bobby Robson or something but if was always a story my dad would tell at the end of a night out.

It was always a case of here's my dad with his little story again, he always said Quinn was a nice bloke as well.

But hey this is the internet so I don't expect you to believe me.