Match day thread - NUFC v Fulham

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Match day thread - NUFC v Fulham

Post by TBC » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Heisen wrote:
TBC wrote:
Sessegnon gets all the plaudits but Cairney ran the show. I know it's the Championship (and we were particularly poor) but he could be a decent signing for us in the summer, though not for anything near £20m.
He seems very similar to Shelvey from what I've seen. Not saying I wouldn't have him but a midfield of those two might not work.
We were dreadful without Shelvey in the Championship, we'd get tortured without him in the PL. Need more than one creative midfielder in the squad.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Very different players for me. Shelvey sits deep (often too deep) so he can ping long balls about, Cairney runs his midfield, he was everywhere yesterday. Like a functioning Siem de Jong.

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:33 pm

I always wondered why Dummett doesn't use his right foot under any circumstances and now i see why. Absolutely abysmal clearance for the second goal <disgrace>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:26 am

TBC wrote:
Heisen wrote:
He seems very similar to Shelvey from what I've seen. Not saying I wouldn't have him but a midfield of those two might not work.
We were dreadful without Shelvey in the Championship, we'd get tortured without him in the PL. Need more than one creative midfielder in the squad.
Yet he's too inconsistent and too much of an idiot to build a team around.

golasambi
Pope's Goalposts

Post by golasambi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:01 am

awful performance bt w2e will stil go up am tellin u. can see us losin a few more bt also see huddersfie;d doin same. every1 willl start brickin it soon nt jus us

golasambi
Pope's Goalposts

Post by golasambi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:02 am

also id start playin murphy n bringin gayle off bench for a bit until gayle 100 percent fit cos he doesnt look it and a gayle who cnt run full pelt isnt the same. make him earn his place bk in team like murph and mitro hav had do

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:26 am

ALF wrote:
TBC wrote:
He's been our best player this year (Gayle aside maybe) yet you always single him out for criticism
I dunno

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:16 am

Duke wrote:
ALF wrote:
He's been our best player this year (Gayle aside maybe) yet you always single him out for criticism
he is our best player when teams let him play but they now neutralize him so easily to the extent i'd say Ritchie is quickly becoming our best player - the shift he put in against Brighton and Huddersfield was amazing. also as good as Shelvey is - he is an idiot, I honestly dont think any of his yellows were justified - all were him being an idiot.

Also when Shelvey is neutralized we may as well be playing with ten men.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 am

It's bizarre how centred we are around him frankly, a manager like Rafa should have more to his tactics than "Shelvey drops very deep and plays long balls, and also takes set pieces. That is all". We certainly need to improve on that next season, particularly as his temperament is so tied to how well we're playing.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:44 am

Colly wrote:It's bizarre how centred we are around him frankly, a manager like Rafa should have more to his tactics than "Shelvey drops very deep and plays long balls, and also takes set pieces. That is all". We certainly need to improve on that next season, particularly as his temperament is so tied to how well we're playing.
that's probably what he wanted to address last transfer window, i could imagine having another attacking central midfielder and starting him a few games until other teams stop planning to neutralize him then bring him on from the bench or start him then to catch them unaware.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:46 am

gawalls wrote:
Duke wrote:
he is our best player when teams let him play but they now neutralize him so easily to the extent i'd say Ritchie is quickly becoming our best player - the shift he put in against Brighton and Huddersfield was amazing. also as good as Shelvey is - he is an idiot, I honestly dont think any of his yellows were justified - all were him being an idiot.

Ritchie?! He's been one of the biggest let downs. If Shelvey is getting marked out of the game or teamed up on the that's the fault of his midfield partners and our tactics
I dunno

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Duke wrote:
gawalls wrote:

Ritchie?! He's been one of the biggest let downs. If Shelvey is getting marked out of the game or teamed up on the that's the fault of his midfield partners and our tactics
And whose fault is it if he sulks, lets his head drop, gets wound up easily, doesn't back track and gets a silly yellow card for letting people get to him?

Ritche essential created our second against Brighton and he never left our box defending against Huddersfield.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Duke wrote:Ritchie?! He's been one of the biggest let downs.
<wenger>

Second highest goalscorer and provided most assists.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:20 pm

So everyone's s**** again now we've lost a game. Good stuff.

We do need more creative players on the pitch though IMO, so if one is having a bad game were not nullified; AM and LW needed in the summer.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:22 pm

gawalls wrote:
Duke wrote:
And whose fault is it if he sulks, lets his head drop, gets wound up easily, doesn't back track and gets a silly yellow card for letting people get to him?

Ritche essential created our second against Brighton and he never left our box defending against Huddersfield.
Could count on one hand the amount of times he's been like that this season. Unfortunately it gets picked up and analysed every time he does it whereas everyone else gets off scot free
I dunno

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Beatski wrote:So everyone's s**** again now we've lost a game. Good stuff.

We do need more creative players on the pitch though IMO, so if one is having a bad game were not nullified; AM and LW needed in the summer.
which (if you believe reports) is what Rafa wanted in January

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:27 pm

We can get better players in the summer

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Beatski wrote:We can get better players in the summer
only if we go up!!

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:33 pm

I'd expect Rafa Benitez to be able to gain promotion having been given 50mil and 12 players of his choice

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Beatski wrote:I'd expect Rafa Benitez to be able to gain promotion having been given 50mil and 12 players of his choice
100% agreed, I can see why Ashley said wait until the summer (if that's what he did) because as you say this squad should be more than good enough for Rafa to get us up and if it wasn't for stupid slip ups ie QPR, Blackburn, Wolves, Bristol City, Norwich, Notts Forrest and Sheff Wed we'd be there. I haven't counted Fulham in that list cos they beat us fair and square twice this season but all the others were had avoidable situations in them games that counted towards our dropped points.

Dont get me wrong - I know all teams are gonna lose some but I dont mind when we get outplayed and beaten but that wasn't the case in half of the games listed above.

Now in my opinion for the next home game at least Murphy needs to start and be given a more attacking set up to support him - if we're gonna drop points at home lets do it fighting.