Beardsley future Toon gaffer?

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Beardsley future Toon gaffer?

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:24 pm

Or femistists. They want equality... Ask one to clean the alley from the snow "It's men's job".

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:09 pm

R&B wrote:
Luque wrote:
But the film is made to break that stereotype...
As I say I'm offended by the TITLE. And at this world full of softies (me included (not sexually!)), the title should be "White man can jump, as we will prove in the next 90 mins". It's more politically correct.
But the film is 115 minutes long, not 90 minutes.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 pm

When the f*** did this place turn into the Daily Mail comments section?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:02 pm

Colly wrote:When the f*** did this place turn into the Daily Mail comments section?
This. Beardsley is rumoured to have made racist comments. Last thing I thought I'd see was people defending the content of the supposed comments.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:07 pm

So because its not the worst thing to have ever happened, young players should just put up with racial prejudice from their own coach?

And if he's happy enough to casually say racist comments at multiple different times (no such 'heat of the moment' bollocks - a day trip at go ape is hardly a high stress environment), I'd think would probably be safe to say that the race of young players has been a factor in things in less obvious ways as well.

Nice excuses for it btw lads <ok>

<disgrace>

Bik
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Bik » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:04 am

Colly wrote: I agree in general with the bolded but I don't think it applies to this case. There's a history of allegations against him and an investigation going on at the club. It's not as if he's being trialled by twitter.
He's 57 years old. These allegations span a pretty short period of that life. What was alleged against him prior to this period? How many people have come forward against him from previous years?

Bik
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Bik » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:15 am

ALF wrote:
Colly wrote:When the **** did this place turn into the Daily Mail comments section?
This. Beardsley is rumoured to have made racist comments. Last thing I thought I'd see was people defending the content of the supposed comments.
Saying people have said far far worse without others getting all in a tizzy about it is not the same as defending those comments. Some of his comments are typical older man's stupid off the cuff remarks, some of them are obviously jarring in this day and age, some of them sound a bit desperate to show how racist he supposedly is. My point is pretty clear I think. Given his age, the amount of s*** he presumably goes through dealing with these young adults, the relatively trivial nature of a good many of the comments..., it doesn't strike me as a particularly big deal. Sack him for all I care, but it sounds more like an older gentleman letting his mouth move a bit quicker than his brain on a handful of occasions.
Last edited by Bik on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bik
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Bik » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:24 am

beatski wrote:So because its not the worst thing to have ever happened, young players should just put up with racial prejudice from their own coach?
Who said they have to put up with it? Those in charge can, however, weigh up whether Pedro is a goose-stepping fully paid up member of the ultra right-wing, or whether he's just someone from an older generation who said a handful of stupid and/or mildly racist things. The fact he hasn't been summarily dismissed should give people pause for thought before piling on.

Bik
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Bik » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:45 am

Im curious what you think about the latest allegations leveled at him. The three comments now being reported are what they’ve come up with after interviewing all of the U23 and U18s. Presumably they’re the worst of it if The Times decided to run with them. Outside of those, what’s the worst comment he’s allegedly made so far? The climbing bars remark? That’s a very off remark, but if that’s the very worst of it, and there have only been a very small number of such comments, then I’d be inclined to give him a warning and a bit of counseling or the like.

The initial allegations were about non-racist bullying leveled by a couple of players, weren’t they? That is a highly subjective area with entitled parents and players expectations and demands being potentially unreasonable... or it could simply be that Pedro’s man management skills are not good enough. That’s a pretty difficult thing to weigh up though. For every player that hates him, I’m sure there are plenty who think he’s a good coach.

Anyway, I’m sure he’s done for; as soon as the racism card was leveled, he was a dead man walking.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:52 am

Bik wrote:
Colly wrote: I agree in general with the bolded but I don't think it applies to this case. There's a history of allegations against him and an investigation going on at the club. It's not as if he's being trialled by twitter.
He's 57 years old. These allegations span a pretty short period of that life. What was alleged against him prior to this period? How many people have come forward against him from previous years?
Given the recent revelations of multiple football coaches of the same age now in prison for abuse of youth players I think it's safe to say there's been a pretty dangerous culture of cover ups in the old boys network.

On your other posts, we've seen three quotes in the press. That's not what he's being judged on. There is a formal investigation in progress.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:57 am

Bik wrote:
beatski wrote:So because its not the worst thing to have ever happened, young players should just put up with racial prejudice from their own coach?
Who said they have to put up with it?
you've repeatedly implied that they should

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:48 am

So because these allegations are only coming to light now he's 57 he should just be given a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again?

Unbelievable how racism is still viewed in this country.

Bik
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Bik » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:45 pm

Heisen wrote:So because these allegations are only coming to light now he's 57 he should just be given a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again?

Eh? The point is whether it's a long term pattern of systematic abuse or a handful of isolated incidents that have occurred over a couple of years. The only things that have been reported are a small number of remarks, most of which are merely mildly offensive, over what period, a couple of years? The initial complaints were about non-racist bullying. It doesn't smack of the actions of a raging racist.

Bik
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Bik » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 pm

beatski wrote:
Bik wrote: Who said they have to put up with it?
No, I haven't. I've suggested that perhaps a sense of proportion is lacking.

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:01 pm

He should lose his job for failing to improve the youth or reserves during his tenure, as well as apparently being a bully who's happy to throw around racially tinged digs at the young players he's meant to be motivating and mentoring. It's a hell of a way to carry on in any job, let alone one which involves kids. He's been appointed because of his former glories, and has held onto the job for as long as he has for the same reason. Time to get rid and hire someone better.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Bik wrote:
Heisen wrote:So because these allegations are only coming to light now he's 57 he should just be given a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again?

Eh? The point is whether it's a long term pattern of systematic abuse or a handful of isolated incidents that have occurred over a couple of years. The only things that have been reported are a small number of remarks, most of which are merely mildly offensive, over what period, a couple of years? The initial complaints were about non-racist bullying. It doesn't smack of the actions of a raging racist.
You keep suggesting that those three comments in the Ronny Gill are all that he's being investigated for which clearly isn't the case.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Bik wrote:
beatski wrote:
No, I haven't. I've suggested that perhaps a sense of proportion is lacking.
Bik wrote: How do these kids manage to cope with a bit of on the pitch goading if these sorts of comments send them running to HR?

It doesn’t send me running to mummy.

How long has he been coaching these spoilt over sensitive brats?
not sure what else you could be implying here, other than they should just 'man up' and deal with the comments. and conversely trying to say that its okay for beardsley to be racist because he's old/heat of the moment/footballers today are prima donnas

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:02 pm

This is the other thing. Beardsley isn't a northern pub footballer where you might see a black player once every other game. He played for Liverpool in the 80s alongside black English players, then played with and coached players from a variety of backgrounds throughout the Premier League era. Your nan might get a pass for being a bit behind the times, but Peter Beardsley certainly doesn't.

Fonda Trevanion
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Fonda Trevanion » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:36 am

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost wrote:He should lose his job for failing to improve the youth or reserves during his tenure, as well as apparently being a bully who's happy to throw around racially tinged digs at the young players he's meant to be motivating and mentoring. It's a hell of a way to carry on in any job, let alone one which involves kids. He's been appointed because of his former glories, and has held onto the job for as long as he has for the same reason. Time to get rid and hire someone better.
100% agree - racist or not he should be moved upstairs as a former hero and whom we all loved but whos coaching skills with the youth are proven rubbish latterly
First game Newcastle United v Burnley, 18 September 1965 W 3-2 Hilley Anderson and Bennett <love>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:48 am

Upstairs to where? We can hardly make him an ambassador for the club at this stage. It's a real shame because he was absolutely one of my favourite players as a kid (I remember picking him for England in an old 1990 World Cup game for the Amiga before his return to the club), but I don't think he's much use to Newcastle United these days.