Beardsley future Toon gaffer?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Beardsley future Toon gaffer?

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:42 pm

NickKIELCEPOland wrote:
I'm over Colo wrote: And Keegan had proven himself as a manager, which would have played no small part in people being delighted about him returning. Beardsley has had 20 years to impress as a coach and demonstrate he's got the qualities to manage at a higher level, and yet hasn't. You overstated the impact of the crowd on Beardsley's career (plenty of clubs have amazing crowds, and I don't like any club, including ours trying to play it off like we have some divine fanbase), and you're overstating the benefit of making a managerial hiring pandering to the fans' nostalgia for past players - and frankly insulting the intelligence of our fans that they would magically welcome Beardsley as manager because of his on-field accomplishments so long ago.
You have misunderstood due to not reading carefully enough. I haven't said that any fans are better than others. I've said that there is a chemistry between certain clubs' fans and certain potential managers, and that that chemistry improves managerial performance in my opinion.
I apologize for misunderstanding your original post about Beardsley + Newcastle fans = greater than the sum of their parts. I realize now reading following posts what you meant by that - although I still believe you're overrating the value of manager-fan chemistry on medium- and long-term performance.
Nonetheless, sorry I went on a rant about people bigging up their fanbase and the impact on players, because you weren't meaning that, I just get annoyed by that, no matter whose fans say it.

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:47 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
NickKIELCEPOland wrote:You have misunderstood due to not reading carefully enough. I haven't said that any fans are better than others. I've said that there is a chemistry between certain clubs' fans and certain potential managers, and that that chemistry improves managerial performance in my opinion.
I apologize for misunderstanding your original post about Beardsley + Newcastle fans = greater than the sum of their parts. I realize now reading following posts what you meant by that - although I still believe you're overrating the value of manager-fan chemistry on medium- and long-term performance.
Nonetheless, sorry I went on a rant about people bigging up their fanbase and the impact on players, because you weren't meaning that, I just get annoyed by that, no matter whose fans say it.
There's no need to apologise, this is a forum, people say stuff, and make mistakes. Nevertheless, your apology (which you didn't owe me in my opinion) puts you in a good light, and shows you to be a decent chap to discuss with. Looking forward to more discussion. :)

Obertans Magic Head
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Obertans Magic Head » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:03 pm

I'm sure I've read somewhere that Beardsley has no interest in managing and wants to stay with the youth teams? Which is lucky because he's shown nothing to suggest he has what it takes to manage at professional level.

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Obertans Magic Head wrote:I'm sure I've read somewhere that Beardsley has no interest in managing and wants to stay with the youth teams? Which is lucky because he's shown nothing to suggest he has what it takes to manage at professional level.
I reckon he'd be better suited to managing the first team. That's when he'd have crowds of 50,000 people chanting his name. That would make the players work for him, and respect him more.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 pm

NickKIELCEPOland wrote:
Obertans Magic Head wrote:I'm sure I've read somewhere that Beardsley has no interest in managing and wants to stay with the youth teams? Which is lucky because he's shown nothing to suggest he has what it takes to manage at professional level.
I reckon he'd be better suited to managing the first team. That's when he'd have crowds of 50,000 people chanting his name. That would make the players work for him, and respect him more.
Think you've got rose tinted spectacles on tbh. Is not as simple as having fans chanting your name so the players work harder. Guaranteed that if the football isn't great and we're not winning games then the crowd would soon be on his back. Plus players will have far more respect for a proven coach/manager than they would for someone like Beardsley, most won't have had a clue who he was before they joined us.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
NickKIELCEPOland wrote:I reckon he'd be better suited to managing the first team. That's when he'd have crowds of 50,000 people chanting his name. That would make the players work for him, and respect him more.
Think you've got rose tinted spectacles on tbh. Is not as simple as having fans chanting your name so the players work harder. Guaranteed that if the football isn't great and we're not winning games then the crowd would soon be on his back. Plus players will have far more respect for a proven coach/manager than they would for someone like Beardsley, most won't have had a clue who he was before they joined us.
Well, we don't know until we try.

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:52 pm

He has won a trophy as a manager.
22.04.2014; "Peter Beardsley's U21 side regained the Northumberland Senior Cup at a misty St.James' Park on Tuesday night - and extended Blyth's miserable run in the competition." http://www.nufc.com/html/2013-14html/20 ... h-nsc.html

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:58 pm

NickKIELCEPOland wrote:He has won a trophy as a manager.
22.04.2014; "Peter Beardsley's U21 side regained the Northumberland Senior Cup at a misty St.James' Park on Tuesday night - and extended Blyth's miserable run in the competition." http://www.nufc.com/html/2013-14html/20 ... h-nsc.html
He also won the much coveted male Rear of the year in 1989.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:59 pm

NickKIELCEPOland wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Well, we don't know until we try.
By that logic they should appoint me.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Let's get Glen Roeder back. Won the Intertoto cup (plaque).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:06 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Let's get Glen Roeder back. Won the Intertoto cup (plaque).
He did a good job. He took us to a 7th place.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Let's get Glen Roeder back. Won the Intertoto cup (plaque).
I won the Premier League with Charlton for six consecutive seasons on Footy Manager and I know a few lads who go every week who will probably get behind me, do you reckon I'm in with a shot?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Heisen wrote:
I won the Premier League with Charlton for six consecutive seasons on Footy Manager and I know a few lads who go every week who will probably get behind me, do you reckon I'm in with a shot?
You Sir, are hired <ok>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:25 pm

Heisen wrote:
Alas, you played like Scott Parker so it's a no from me.

Holystone...
Grammer Police Chef
Grammer Police Chef

Post by Holystone... » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:29 am

Just picked up on this op . In the modern game managers seem to be coaches rather than amazing ex players . I’d put him in the “ give Shearer a chance “ bracket . All clubs seem to have a soft spot for ex pros . Liverpool just given Gerrard a junior team to run . Suppose it motivates the young ones to look up to him .
Ashley tells you it's raining. Do you look out the window?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:58 am

John Terry should become manager of Chelsea Ladies team when he retires.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:58 am

Why hasn't he been made manager yet? <fist>

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:40 pm

Holystone... wrote:Just picked up on this op . In the modern game managers seem to be coaches rather than amazing ex players . I’d put him in the “ give Shearer a chance “ bracket . All clubs seem to have a soft spot for ex pros . Liverpool just given Gerrard a junior team to run . Suppose it motivates the young ones to look up to him .

Loosely speaking, we tend to judge managers by two measures; 1...Scientific understanding of the game. 2...Personality, eg. leadership qualities. I personally think that the second point becomes less important if the manager in question happens to be a favourite among the fans from the word go. When I've seen Beardsley as a pundit, or read his musings, I'm always struck by his excellent understanding of the game. I do think it would be a crying shame if he was never given the chance to manage the Toon. It is true that he has a coaching career of the reserves and of the youth team to judge him on, but at least he's spent his time post-playing gaining coaching experience.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Steve Howey for me lyk.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Id question Beardsley's psychosomatic control of strategies though