NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (Summer 2018)

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (Summer 2018)

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Edison Heisen wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:34 am
Blještav Benny wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:44 pm
Social media links with Sturaro from Juventus. As Merino will probably be on his way out we'll presumably be in the market for another midfielder.

I'd still like to keep Merino, think he's got the attributes to become a very good player.
I can only assume that Rafa makes his mind up on players predominantly through what they do in training. As I can't see any reason why he's so keen to shift on Merino, Mitro, Mbemba etc., based on what they do on the pitch, yet gives chances to the likes of Joselu and Gayle despite them not being anywhere near good enough at this level.

Or maybe he just hates the letter M.
I think that's a totally reasonable assumption, but the best training performance in the world doesn't mean a thing if it doesn't result in on-field performance, and Gayle and Joselu had so many opportunities to prove themselves last year, and consistently failed to flatter. Mbemba I'm less surprised by though because the players in front of him actually did do well last season, and it makes sense that he would want to go somewhere to be first choice. But we're so thin at midfield and forward, it's harder to justify why the others didn't get more chances to take the position from players who continued to lay eggs on matchday.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:10 am

"Newcastle United have been told by Feyenoord they will have to pay more than £20m to sign their 27-year-old Denmark striker Nicolai Jorgensen."

No thanks.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:44 am

Blještav Benny wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:10 am
"Newcastle United have been told by Feyenoord they will have to pay more than £20m to sign their 27-year-old Denmark striker Nicolai Jorgensen."

No thanks.
The only reason I'd want us to sign Nicolai Jorgensen for is his wife.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Offered Sturridge for 15m.

IF and that's a big IF he stays fit he'd be a steal at that price
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Eu estou Colo wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:37 pm
Edison Heisen wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:34 am

I can only assume that Rafa makes his mind up on players predominantly through what they do in training. As I can't see any reason why he's so keen to shift on Merino, Mitro, Mbemba etc., based on what they do on the pitch, yet gives chances to the likes of Joselu and Gayle despite them not being anywhere near good enough at this level.

Or maybe he just hates the letter M.
I think that's a totally reasonable assumption, but the best training performance in the world doesn't mean a thing if it doesn't result in on-field performance, and Gayle and Joselu had so many opportunities to prove themselves last year, and consistently failed to flatter. Mbemba I'm less surprised by though because the players in front of him actually did do well last season, and it makes sense that he would want to go somewhere to be first choice. But we're so thin at midfield and forward, it's harder to justify why the others didn't get more chances to take the position from players who continued to lay eggs on matchday.
Merino never getting a chance at number 10 baffles me. I rate Perez more than most but he's the only player in the squad who literally had zero competition for a place last season.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:25 pm

lblancsson wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 pm

No thanks, £100k+ per week for someone who might play 20 games a season.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Colly wrote:
Eu estou Colo wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Merino never getting a chance at number 10 baffles me. I rate Perez more than most but he's the only player in the squad who literally had zero competition for a place last season.
Exactly. Perez came on well at the end of the season, but he was given months (arguably years considering how mediocre he's been for a while now), while other players were hardly given a sniff with substitute appearances.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm

lblancsson wrote:

Given his injury record, I reckon the £15 million is still too much to risk.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:49 pm

OverseersmademesupportenglandTOON wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm
lblancsson wrote:

Given his injury record, I reckon the £15 million is still too much to risk.
Given his injury record, I'd argue he'd be a risk even without a transfer fee. Yeah when fit and firing, he was immense. But that was one season, years ago.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Yea, even go free he still draws a massive wage. He'd end up being an even less cost effective Owen.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:48 pm

£18.7m in wages alone if we got him on a 'free', and that's before bonuses etc. Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

(Assuming we kept paying him £120k a week).

The bloke has made a career out of one good season where he was helped massively by Suarez occupying defenders.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:48 pm

So I came second in a works FIFA tournament today and got a tour of at James park as a prize.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:51 pm

gawalls wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:48 pm
So I came second in a works FIFA tournament today and got a tour of at James park as a prize.
It's like a new signing!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:56 pm

gawalls wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:48 pm
Stick to the "I won a stadium tour" thread <fist>

<roll>

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:51 pm

Eu estou Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:00 pm
Exactly. Perez came on well at the end of the season, but he was given months (arguably years considering how mediocre he's been for a while now), while other players were hardly given a sniff with substitute appearances.
Perez is a weird one. He's bland the whole season, scores some bangers towards the end and guarantees he won;t get sold. Rinse and repeat. I too would like Merino to stay, future spanish national team player if he gets the game time.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 pm

For the final few months of last season Perez was consistently good for a fair period of time, probably as consistent as I can ever remember him being in his time here. Hopefully it's a sign that he'll contribute more regularly. I'm happy to keep hold of him, and have been a critic of his in the past.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Blještav Benny wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 pm
For the final few months of last season Perez was consistently good for a fair period of time, probably as consistent as I can ever remember him being in his time here. Hopefully it's a sign that he'll contribute more regularly. I'm happy to keep hold of him, and have been a critic of his in the past.
Oh, and I totally agree he should be kept, especially if he's sorted things out with Rafa's coaching. My point just was that it's tough to explain why a player like Merino wasn't getting at least a chance to play in the 10 role when for so long Perez hadn't been producing. But credit to Perez for playing well at the end of the year when it was needed.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:35 pm

Eu estou Colo wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:36 pm
Blještav Benny wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 pm
Oh, and I totally agree he should be kept, especially if he's sorted things out with Rafa's coaching. My point just was that it's tough to explain why a player like Merino wasn't getting at least a chance to play in the 10 role when for so long Perez hadn't been producing. But credit to Perez for playing well at the end of the year when it was needed.
What's Merino's preferred position? CM or number 10? Either way I'm surprised we didn't see a bit more of him from Dec onwards. Diame only really came good from Jan from memory.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Plays in the 10 for Spain.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:32 pm

lblancsson wrote:

But you know he wouldn't. He'd be an awful signing.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.