The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Thread

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Thread

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:18 pm

Also, why did they even bring in an external coach as their interim manager if they didn't have an eye to hiring them full-time. If you're really just looking for a part time caretaker, promote within.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:27 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:18 pm
Also, why did they even bring in an external coach as their interim manager if they didn't have an eye to hiring them full-time. If you're really just looking for a part time caretaker, promote within.
I mean she wasn't an external hire, she was the academy boss. They did promote from within. But for very short term, and clearly just as a stunt. Its rare that I agree with Gabby Agbonlahor, but in this case I thibk he's right. He gave both barrels to the forest green chairman, saying its a pr stunt and he loves the limelight. Unironically.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:40 am

Did Forest Green make a big fuss over it? I think you could look at it two ways, and if they didn't (even if the media did) then to be fair to them it almost normalises it more. They had a managerial vacancy that needed to be filled for preseason, and had they appointed a man we wouldn't even have heard about it, and realistically that's the end game for women in management too.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:14 am

Definitely mountain out of molehill.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:41 pm

Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:27 am
Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:18 pm
I mean she wasn't an external hire, she was the academy boss. They did promote from within. But for very short term, and clearly just as a stunt. Its rare that I agree with Gabby Agbonlahor, but in this case I thibk he's right. He gave both barrels to the forest green chairman, saying its a pr stunt and he loves the limelight. Unironically.
My mistake - I didn't realize she'd had that internal role before. Nonetheless, they'd have absolutely known the temporary hire would draw attention. Just as not hiring her permanently (which they probably had no intention to do) would similarly draw attention.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:49 pm

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:42 pm

Jesus wept <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:57 pm

I’ll add that I’ve no problem with any player or manager moving to Saudi (or anywhere) for obscene money. If I was offered 5-10 times my salary to move there (likely low or no tax) you can bet your bottom dollar I’d be off.

But anyone claiming that it’s for any reason other than monetary is clearly a liar!

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:09 pm

If I had been on a premier league salary for 10 years (for example) plus all the sponsors they seem to attract there wouldnt be any amount of money that could tempt me to move to Saudi.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:54 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:09 pm
If I had been on a premier league salary for 10 years (for example) plus all the sponsors they seem to attract there wouldnt be any amount of money that could tempt me to move to Saudi.
In theory I agree, but until you’re ever in that situation it’s impossible to say. People with money seem to always want more, and if someone waved 40m under your nose for a 2 year stint (which essentially isn’t a long time) then I imagine many would take it.

Obviously Saudi has its issues, but it’s not like it’s a country full of monsters. I’m sure the capital is a cool place, especially if you’re obscenely rich. And I’ve worked with several Saudi people are who entirely lovely folk. The actions and values of the regime are far from representative of a lot of the perfectly ‘normal’ people there.

Granted tho, if you don’t like sun and heat it’s probably not for you <laugh>

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:03 pm

<gent>

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:14 pm

Julen Lopetegui is reportedly considering his position as Wolves manager

Julen Lopetegui is considering his position as Wolves manager after losing a series of players this summer without being able to replace any of them with players other than free transfers

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:56 pm

Yeah I know a few worried wolves fans, lost some key players and no reinforcements added other than Doherty back on a free. Hard to see where the goals will come from for them. Hwang only scores against us <laugh>

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:44 am

Looks like Lopetegui is off Gary O ' Neill being lined up to replace him
I'll Hazard a guess

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:56 pm

Wolves are in trouble this season.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:27 pm

Wolves boss Julen Lopetegui has left the club, with ex-Bournemouth manager Gary O'Neil set to replace him.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:32 am

Rooney is back in management in Blighty!

Not usual for me to feel sorry for Birmingham but Rooney is utter s**** at this management malarkey.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:19 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:32 am
Rooney is back in management in Blighty!

Not usual for me to feel sorry for Birmingham but Rooney is utter s**** at this management malarkey.
It's an odd one as Eustace was doing a good job there yes the style of play probably not the prettiest but still doing well.

I think they feel Rooney is a bigger name and will bring more limelight to them
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:33 pm

I actually think that Rooney did well in difficult circumstances at Derby, despite their relegation from the Championship.

That said, I don't really rate him as a manager.

Timshorts 2
Portugal (Man baby)
Portugal (Man baby)

Post by Timshorts 2 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:29 pm

Thought he did well at Derby. Much better than I expected. Birmingham are 6th, though. Also much better than expected. Where is eustace supposed to have got them in the table.?

I never had much of a problem with Birmingham, but this plus tom Brady makes me hope they'll drop like a stone.

Meanwhile, Watford have started badly. Why is there no sacking?