Studying/Revision Music

User avatar
Seagull
Portugal
Portugal
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Studying/Revision Music

Post by Seagull » Thu May 22, 2014 6:25 pm

What music do you stick on when you have studying, revision, or general work to do?

Like most people, I usually find it easier to work with mostly instrumental stuff because the lyrics can be distracting. This year I've relied on a pretty small range of artists, including...

Mogwai (e.g. Scotland's Shame)
SpoilerShow
There Will Be Blood (Album) - Johnny Greenwood
SpoilerShow
Burial - Untrue (Album Mix)
SpoilerShow
Nicolas Jaar Boiler Room Set/Nicolas Jaar Essential Mix (Would highly recommend this mix below!)
SpoilerShow
Last edited by Seagull on Thu May 22, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Online
User avatar
Van Beatski
Panama
Panama
Posts: 22295
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: The Dangerzone

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by Van Beatski » Thu May 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Sim City 3000 soundtrack <gent>

not that i've revised in a while

User avatar
Colback's Orange Tufts
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10361
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Near the ducks

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu May 22, 2014 6:35 pm

I bought all the old series of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue the year of my final exams. A second listen through of audio comedy is good for me. You don't want to skip tracks as in music and it kept me in good spirits.
Although every 'One Song to the Tune of Another' round distracted me far too much
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

User avatar
skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 17101
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by skalpel » Thu May 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Meandering melodies, relatively stable dynamics and soft instrumentation are necessary, I think. You don't want to be distracted by some huge crescendo or harsh and intrusive noise. I usually listen to classical music while reading or writing, unless it's a 3am caffeine-power session, when usually only Ambient will do.

Bach's Cello Suites (Complete) - Cello Solo
SpoilerShow
Satie's Gymnopedies & Gnossiennes (Complete) - Piano Solo
SpoilerShow
Beethoven's Piano Sonatas (Complete) - Piano Solo
SpoilerShow
Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words (Complete) - Piano Solo
SpoilerShow
Chopin's Nocturnes (Complete) - Piano Solo
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Playlist)

Philip Glass' Metamorphoses (Complete) - Piano Solo
SpoilerShow
Vassiliss Tsabrapoulos (Bunch of Random Pieces) - Piano Solo
SpoilerShow
Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 1 (Complete)
SpoilerShow
Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol. II (Complete)
SpoilerShow
That's the stuff I'd reach for most often.

User avatar
skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 17101
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by skalpel » Thu May 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Oh yeah, and pre/early renaissance monk chanting always goes pretty well too.
SpoilerShow

User avatar
Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman
Posts: 8490
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:54 pm
Location: Monte Darlo

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by Micky Quim » Thu May 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Aphex Twin! Nice Skalpel <awe>

User avatar
Seagull
Portugal
Portugal
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by Seagull » Thu May 22, 2014 7:04 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:I bought all the old series of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue the year of my final exams. A second listen through of audio comedy is good for me. You don't want to skip tracks as in music and it kept me in good spirits.
Although every 'One Song to the Tune of Another' round distracted me far too much
Audio comedy?! Maybe that would work with physics/maths work but I'm pretty sure I would end up just accidentally writing down whatever's being said. Someone did mention in another thread that they get through essays by putting a film on in the background though so it could work <scratch>.
skalpel wrote:Oh yeah, and pre/early renaissance monk chanting always goes pretty well too.
SpoilerShow
Ah, I've actually listened to the Rubestein Chopin album and Erik Satie before to do work! I'm pretty sure that's because of a recommendation from you though...

There's a bit of Aphex Twin chucked in to the Nicolas Jaar mix I posted in the OP <whistle>
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

User avatar
skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 17101
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by skalpel » Thu May 22, 2014 7:10 pm

I want curly fries too wrote:
There's a bit of Aphex Twin chucked in to the Nicolas Jaar mix I posted in the OP <whistle>
Aha, so there is! Though I'm not sure if I could read or write to Ziggomatic 17 <worried>.

Johnny Greenwood's TWWB is a good shout too by the way. There was an Arvo Part piece used in that film too; he probably deserves a mention in this thread. Bonobo's first two albums are pretty good revision electronica and probably worth a nod too.

User avatar
Amnesiac
-
Posts: 12643
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by Amnesiac » Thu May 22, 2014 7:20 pm

skalpel wrote:
I want curly fries too wrote:
There's a bit of Aphex Twin chucked in to the Nicolas Jaar mix I posted in the OP <whistle>
Aha, so there is! Though I'm not sure if I could read or write to Ziggomatic 17 <worried>.

Johnny Greenwood's TWWB is a good shout too by the way. There was an Arvo Part piece used in that film too; he probably deserves a mention in this thread. Bonobo's first two albums are pretty good revision electronica and probably worth a nod too.
Skalpel <disgrace>

User avatar
skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 17101
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by skalpel » Thu May 22, 2014 7:24 pm

I was listening to Ziggomatic 17 at the time <roll>.

User avatar
Ciudad Burro
Argentina
Argentina
Posts: 5925
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by Ciudad Burro » Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 pm

I stick on something that I have played so many times I know it inside out and so won't be distracted by it. It actually improves my concentration because I am not going to be surprised by anything I hear in the music but am less likely to hear background noise or something unexpected that would distract me. It also helps me focus by entertaining me without involving me in any effort, leaving me to stay properly focused on the work without getting bored and looking for distractions.

So for me I would generally listen to Echo & the Bunnymen, Joy Division or Killing Joke.

User avatar
Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman
Posts: 8490
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:54 pm
Location: Monte Darlo

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by Micky Quim » Thu May 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Joy Division <awe>

User avatar
Colback's Orange Tufts
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10361
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Near the ducks

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu May 22, 2014 9:22 pm

I want curly fries too wrote:
Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:I bought all the old series of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue the year of my final exams. A second listen through of audio comedy is good for me. You don't want to skip tracks as in music and it kept me in good spirits.
Although every 'One Song to the Tune of Another' round distracted me far too much
Audio comedy?! Maybe that would work with physics/maths work but I'm pretty sure I would end up just accidentally writing down whatever's being said. Someone did mention in another thread that they get through essays by putting a film on in the background though so it could work <scratch>.
For some reason I find it's easier to tune in and out (two minute games/rounds so there's no plot to follow) than in music. I can see how it could be an issue with essays I guess
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

User avatar
FogOnTheRhine
Germany
Germany
Posts: 15481
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 pm
Location: Lidl

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by FogOnTheRhine » Thu May 22, 2014 10:09 pm

Bach's Cello Concertos played by Mischa Maisky got me through 4 essays in 4 nights <ok>
SpoilerShow
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

User avatar
PTAO?
Australia
Australia
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by PTAO? » Fri May 23, 2014 2:38 pm

Eminem

User avatar
Seagull
Portugal
Portugal
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by Seagull » Fri May 23, 2014 2:43 pm

سحب عرفة واحد wrote:Eminem
I can't Stan him though
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

User avatar
PTAO?
Australia
Australia
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by PTAO? » Sun May 25, 2014 9:19 am

I want soutzoukakia smyrneika too wrote:
سحب عرفة واحد wrote:Eminem
I can't Stan him though
I like most of his stuff, but one or two songs make me want to Puke

User avatar
Seagull
Portugal
Portugal
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by Seagull » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Bumping for recommendations because, well, I'm still a f***ing student.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

User avatar
skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 17101
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by skalpel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:27 pm

Leonid Brezhnev wrote:Bumping for recommendations because, well, I'm still a f***ing student.
Stars of the Lid - The Tired Sounds of
Áine O'Dwyer - Music for Church Cleaners
Autechre - Amber
Loscil - Plume
Gas - Pop
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol II
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

User avatar
Seagull
Portugal
Portugal
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Re: Studying/Revision Music

Post by Seagull » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Skalps <awe>.

I don't think I've listened to any of these bars Aphex Twin so I'll give them a go, had another Autechre record on earlier actually.

Muchos gracias.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Post Reply