Music Festivals - Opinions?

Do you prefer gigs or festivals?

Gigs
10
53%
Festivals
7
37%
Neither
2
11%
 
Total votes: 19

User avatar
Little Lion Man
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by Little Lion Man » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Started to see a few social media posts about music festivals coming up in the summer so I thought I'd gauge the general opinion of them. Personally, I go to see bands live every now and again but festivals don't really appeal to me for some reason.

Anyone fancy sharing their experiences of festivals (either good or bad)? Why do you go to festivals (for the music or atmosphere etc)? You can talk about the bigger, more commercial festivals or small local festivals if you want to <ok>

Oh and do you prefer to go to gigs or festivals? (I'll try and add a vote). Have you seen an artist at a gig and at a festival? If so, did they seem better at one or was it the same?

I've asked a fair few questions so feel free to answer just one of them, if any at all <laugh>

User avatar
Ciudad Burro
Argentina
Argentina
Posts: 5925
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by Ciudad Burro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:39 pm

I voted for gigs because generally they are better for sound quality and atmosphere. But I love festivals as well, although I've only been to two, Glastonbury and V.

Both festivals were mixed bags for me. Glastonbury was amazing in terms of music and atmosphere. I managed to fit in 33 bands or artists, literally watched music from first up to last so didn't get much time to experience the other stuff available to do, like the hippy fields etc. Highlight would be the Elbow set, I was a big fan and they did the audience participation singing which they sampled onto their second album. I answered an ad in NME and got my name credited on the album along with thousands of others who were there. Hence why it is called Cast of Thousands. Low points; festival toilets and tearing my achilles tendon whilst pogoing to a punk band called The Parkinsons. Was in agony for the last 24 hours I was there and could barely walk. V was good but without the same highs or lows.

I would say with festivals go expecting a mixed bag and be philosophical about it. There will be things that piss you off but if you go with the attitude that you are going to brush them off and have a good time you will end up having an amazing time. Would love to go to more.

I can't recall seeing a band at both festival and gig so I can't really say, sorry.

User avatar
skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 17101
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:58 pm

I went for neither. I've been to plenty of both (though I've not camped at a festival before) and prefer gigs, but organised live music events tend not to be my thing. I like a good street performer (though they're about as common as the Sumatran Rhino) and I enjoy jamming with other people or having a jazz band accompany a good beer or something. But specifically going out to see a band or bands is not interesting to me at all. I'd sooner listen at home.

User avatar
Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut
Posts: 15308
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by Mifune » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:13 pm

Gigs. Never been bothered about fesitvals. I like seeing the right musician/band live at a gig though.

User avatar
Little Lion Man
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by Little Lion Man » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:14 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:I voted for gigs because generally they are better for sound quality and atmosphere. But I love festivals as well, although I've only been to two, Glastonbury and V.

Both festivals were mixed bags for me. Glastonbury was amazing in terms of music and atmosphere. I managed to fit in 33 bands or artists, literally watched music from first up to last so didn't get much time to experience the other stuff available to do, like the hippy fields etc. Highlight would be the Elbow set, I was a big fan and they did the audience participation singing which they sampled onto their second album. I answered an ad in NME and got my name credited on the album along with thousands of others who were there. Hence why it is called Cast of Thousands. Low points; festival toilets and tearing my achilles tendon whilst pogoing to a punk band called The Parkinsons. Was in agony for the last 24 hours I was there and could barely walk. V was good but without the same highs or lows.

I would say with festivals go expecting a mixed bag and be philosophical about it. There will be things that piss you off but if you go with the attitude that you are going to brush them off and have a good time you will end up having an amazing time. Would love to go to more.

I can't recall seeing a band at both festival and gig so I can't really say, sorry.

33 is bloody impressive! I've always wondered if it's even possible to see everyone you want to see at music festivals. I know that I'd hate it if two artists/bands I wanted to see clashed with each other. Your Elbow experience sounds great <awe>
The state of festival toilets is probably what puts me off the most as I'm a bit of a clean freak, I get disgusted quite easily <laugh> Tearing your achilles tendon at a festival sounds f***ing horrendous <erk>

User avatar
Little Lion Man
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by Little Lion Man » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:17 pm

skalpel wrote:I went for neither. I've been to plenty of both (though I've not camped at a festival before) and prefer gigs, but organised live music events tend not to be my thing. I like a good street performer (though they're about as common as the Sumatran Rhino) and I enjoy jamming with other people or having a jazz band accompany a good beer or something. But specifically going out to see a band or bands is not interesting to me at all. I'd sooner listen at home.
Interesting response! Is there a particular reason why you don't find going to see bands live interesting? Not a criticism, it's just that I've found a few artists/bands to be better live.

User avatar
skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 17101
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Little Lion Man wrote:
skalpel wrote:I went for neither. I've been to plenty of both (though I've not camped at a festival before) and prefer gigs, but organised live music events tend not to be my thing. I like a good street performer (though they're about as common as the Sumatran Rhino) and I enjoy jamming with other people or having a jazz band accompany a good beer or something. But specifically going out to see a band or bands is not interesting to me at all. I'd sooner listen at home.
Interesting response! Is there a particular reason why you don't find going to see bands live interesting? Not a criticism, it's just that I've found a few artists/bands to be better live.
Tough to answer for some reason. I guess I just realised that I have no real idea.

I know that I have pretty capricious moods, moods over which I have little control (no, not in the sense that I'm a psychopath). What I mean is that if one evening I can only listen to early 20thC solo violin, then I can only listen to early 20thC solo violin, and my ticket to see Bloodbath live that evening is a waste of time. It's odd, but it's the same across all the arts: if I'm in a Whistler sort of mood, then my trip to the Hogarth exhibition is a waste of time. These moods can last an afternoon or a month and they choose themselves. It's odd, but there we are.

Otherwise, I'm not sure. I think even if a band or artist I particularly liked was playing in town here for cheap, I'd not go. Maybe I just prefer music in my own comfort zone or something. I like music where and when I choose, or something.

User avatar
Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut
Posts: 15308
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by Mifune » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:59 pm

skalpel wrote:
Little Lion Man wrote:
Interesting response! Is there a particular reason why you don't find going to see bands live interesting? Not a criticism, it's just that I've found a few artists/bands to be better live.
Tough to answer for some reason. I guess I just realised that I have no real idea.

I know that I have pretty capricious moods, moods over which I have little control (no, not in the sense that I'm a psychopath). What I mean is that if one evening I can only listen to early 20thC solo violin, then I can only listen to early 20thC solo violin, and my ticket to see Bloodbath live that evening is a waste of time. It's odd, but it's the same across all the arts: if I'm in a Whistler sort of mood, then my trip to the Hogarth exhibition is a waste of time. These moods can last an afternoon or a month and they choose themselves. It's odd, but there we are.

Otherwise, I'm not sure. I think even if a band or artist I particularly liked was playing in town here for cheap, I'd not go. Maybe I just prefer music in my own comfort zone or something. I like music where and when I choose, or something.
Totally read that as "Hogwarts exhibition".

User avatar
skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 17101
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:03 pm

Mifune wrote:Totally read that as "Hogwarts exhibition".
Taken out of its context that sounds disgusting.

User avatar
ALF
Russia
Russia
Posts: 20161
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by ALF » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:55 am

I went to Glastonbury 2013 and 2014 and it was amazing both years. It's such a chilled out atmosphere and the music is brilliant. Although the only band I've seen at a gig and festival was Manic Street Preachers and the gig was much better.

User avatar
FogOnTheRhine
Germany
Germany
Posts: 15481
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 pm
Location: Lidl

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by FogOnTheRhine » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:51 am

Same as ALF. Been to those two and Sonisphere 2011 (Big Four of Thrash Metal <awe> ), as well as the shitty local festival in Jersey. Really don't mind slumming it and the loos are have been decent enough at those that I've been to, the Glasto ones were lush in comparison with the Sonisphere ones though. Ended up paying 2 quid a go at Pootopia because there was a literal lake of s*** to get to the portaloos that were themselves overflowing.

Festivals are like going to several gigs a day and I love gigs so it's pretty much ideal. Music live can be sloppy and s*** but it's still better to me in most cases than listening to it at home. Think gigs are better for bands that you really like though, saw Black Keys at Alexandra Palace and also at Glasto and they were a load of w*** at the latter.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

B4E
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6269
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:12 pm
Location: Bolton

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by B4E » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:23 am

Bought tickets for Leeds Festival with a few mates before most of the line-up came out, don't really care about seeing bands I like, just want to go for the experience and see if i like festivals. Might also end up liking something I don't know because of it.

Glad that Deadmau5 is there though, someone who I've been fond of for ages (even though I don't really like that genre) but never would have gone to see.
RIP

User avatar
Japan Papa Goku
Japan
Japan
Posts: 8843
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by Japan Papa Goku » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:02 am

B4E wrote:Bought tickets for Leeds Festival with a few mates before most of the line-up came out, don't really care about seeing bands I like, just want to go for the experience and see if i like festivals. Might also end up liking something I don't know because of it.

Glad that Deadmau5 is there though, someone who I've been fond of for ages (even though I don't really like that genre) but never would have gone to see.
Random Album Title was awesome but thought his other stuff was rather naff.
Image

Acid Hippo
Colombia
Colombia
Posts: 11258
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by Acid Hippo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:39 pm

It's hard to compare I suppose. I've seen a couple bands both at a festival and then at one of their own gigs and they're different experiences really.

I think I prefer gigs for actually watching a band live because it's often a much smaller venue and you get less dick heads who are there just for a piss up, but festivals are good for the overall experience. f*** the toilets though. First time I went to Leeds I went the entire weekend without shitting.
<monster>

User avatar
Little Lion Man
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by Little Lion Man » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Cheers for all the interesting replies!
skalpel wrote: Tough to answer for some reason. I guess I just realised that I have no real idea.

I know that I have pretty capricious moods, moods over which I have little control (no, not in the sense that I'm a psychopath). What I mean is that if one evening I can only listen to early 20thC solo violin, then I can only listen to early 20thC solo violin, and my ticket to see Bloodbath live that evening is a waste of time. It's odd, but it's the same across all the arts: if I'm in a Whistler sort of mood, then my trip to the Hogarth exhibition is a waste of time. These moods can last an afternoon or a month and they choose themselves. It's odd, but there we are.

Otherwise, I'm not sure. I think even if a band or artist I particularly liked was playing in town here for cheap, I'd not go. Maybe I just prefer music in my own comfort zone or something. I like music where and when I choose, or something.
This is the first time I've ever seen you stumped (kind of) by a question <laugh> but I think I understand.

User avatar
Little Lion Man
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by Little Lion Man » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:59 pm

Acid Hippo wrote:It's hard to compare I suppose. I've seen a couple bands both at a festival and then at one of their own gigs and they're different experiences really.

I think I prefer gigs for actually watching a band live because it's often a much smaller venue and you get less d*** heads who are there just for a piss up, but festivals are good for the overall experience. **** the toilets though. First time I went to Leeds I went the entire weekend without shitting.
How the hell did you manage that? <yikes> I'd explode.

User avatar
Seagull
Portugal
Portugal
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by Seagull » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:13 pm

In terms of festivals I've been to Reading, twice, and Dour (in Belgium).

I think after going to Reading twice I was happy to accept never going to a festival again (for the full weekend), I felt like I'd done it and wasn't really in love with the whole festival experience. Dour has changed by mind a bit, though - veeery different to Reading in terms of the type of person going and just the general atmosphere. The fact that I went with different people could have been quite a big factor too, I suppose.

Still not entirely convinced that seeing any band could make waking up with my head in a puddle, completely hungover, inside a baking hot tent worthwhile it but I'm more likely to go to other places now.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

User avatar
skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 17101
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:29 pm

My girlfriend went to Dour in 2005 (I think) and liked it so much that she kept the wristband as a bracelet for years.

User avatar
Seagull
Portugal
Portugal
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by Seagull » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:04 pm

<diva>.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

User avatar
FogOnTheRhine
Germany
Germany
Posts: 15481
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 pm
Location: Lidl

Re: Music Festivals - Opinions?

Post by FogOnTheRhine » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:04 am

Doesn't sound like it'd be a very fun festival <roll>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Post Reply