Moneyball

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Moneyball

Post by jpg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Surprised this hasn't been posted already. Very good film, true story about a baseball GM Billy Beane of the Oakland A's who's looking for a player recruitment system based on player statistics in order to bring the club success rather than try and compete with the likes of the Yankee's who are financially superior.

I think many on here would empathise with this film because as a club we can relate to the system he was trying to implement; not paying out top dollar contracts on big star players and instead buying underrated players who cost far less and are capable of doing the necessary.

[youtube]AiAHlZVgXjk[/youtube]

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Re: Moneyball

Post by beardface » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:56 pm

I wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much. A very good film, maybe one for the film club <awe>

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Philadelphia Phillies Fo Lyf

Not actually seen the movie though so I'll take a watch
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:08 pm

It's also worth noting that they John W Henry (Liverpool owner) is featured in the film as he's the owner of the Red Sox.

Speaking of Red Sox- I think I'm going to a game in July! <divax>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat May 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Juliet Papa Golf wrote:It's also worth noting that they John W Henry (Liverpool owner) is featured in the film as he's the owner of the Red Sox.

Good film. Watched it last night for the second time and enjoyed it much more second time around.

Find it quite ironic that John Henry seems to have embraced the moneyball philosophy for baseball and yet under his ownership the Dippers splashed crazy money on Carroll, Henderson and Downing and for a few years became the definition of a team that failed to get value for money on transfers. I'm guessing the same level of statistics don't exist for football so he couldn't apply the same approach?

PepperJack
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by PepperJack » Sun May 05, 2013 10:17 am

KingoStarr wrote:Philadelphia Phillies Fo Lyf

Not actually seen the movie though so I'll take a watch
The 700 level <yikes>

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sun May 05, 2013 9:43 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Juliet Papa Golf wrote:It's also worth noting that they John W Henry (Liverpool owner) is featured in the film as he's the owner of the Red Sox.

Good film. Watched it last night for the second time and enjoyed it much more second time around.

Find it quite ironic that John Henry seems to have embraced the moneyball philosophy for baseball and yet under his ownership the Dippers splashed crazy money on Carroll, Henderson and Downing and for a few years became the definition of a team that failed to get value for money on transfers. I'm guessing the same level of statistics don't exist for football so he couldn't apply the same approach?

Very good point! Obviously they are two completely separate sports and operate much differently in player recruitment. I guess it's probably because Henry was new to the sport, one he was more than likely unfamiliar with and wanted to make his mark by impressing the fans through big spending. Safe to say they haven't done the same since and have signed some tidy players mostly!

The Rock Lobster
Is Shit
Is Shit

Post by The Rock Lobster » Wed May 15, 2013 12:56 am

Donkey Toon wrote:

Contrary to that, apart from Carroll, Henderson and Downing were both signed based on their stats. I think Downing was the highest cross% so was seen as the ideal man for Carroll and Henderson had a really high chance created, tackles and distance ran per game. I remember Commoli mentioning it once.

On topic I enjoyed the film a lot.
SpoilerShow
Shame they never won though <cry>
" Samaras is a special player." - A. Iniesta