Star Wars: Episode VII

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII

Post by TBC » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:31 pm

SpoilerShow
Don't get me wrong I didn't not like it, but if Rey loses her hand in the next one I wont bother with the 3rd. <laugh>

PFT
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PFT » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:33 pm

SpoilerShow
I really enjoyed the film and it wasn't until after I realised how it was more or less a remake. I don't mind that though , the original trilogy was so long ago and now they want to create a new audience for it. I particularly enjoyed Adam Drivers performance as Kylo Ren and I really want to see his back history and what exactly went on with Luke failing to train him in the next film.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Lidl

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII Trailer

Post by Lidl » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:46 pm

Speedo wrote:
LiDL wrote:
Well I loved it <awe> There's a fair amount of stuff that seemed like obvious fan service but at it's root it was just a fun action movie. I'd say it did it's job of setting up a new trilogy.
SpoilerShow
Re: Finn, you see him on probably his first actual mission and not being able to handle the reality of it. I think it works pretty well considering up to that point he'd probably only been doing janitorial stuff and training so it's reasonable enough that he wouldn't actually take to his first taste of action. Also, I think Han Solo has 100% died. Harrison Ford's wanted him dead for 30 years, there's no way he'd give up a chance to let him finally go, and in a suitable way.
SpoilerShow
Fair enough about Han Solo. I think I just want him to survive because he's great. On Finn - I totally accept that premise, but what makes no sense is the sudden total rebellion - immediately giving up everything you've ever worked for and believed in for the rebellion. It just doesn't make sense that he would switch as fast as he did. He switches sides with certainty immediately which I just did not find believable. Maybe it will be explained in 8/9 - the force in him or something. But it doesn't make sense to me at this point.
SpoilerShow
Yeah I loved Han in this, nice to see Ford give an actual performance again <awe> I think with Finn he doesn't immediately join the rebellion. At the start he's wanting to run away and all the way up to when the First Order attack Mos Eisley Cantina mk2 he's basically just trying to run away and going with whoever will get help him run. When he sees that Rey's been kidnapped he goes to try to save her because he likes her and knows what will happen to her on the Deathstar mk3 and then he only really joins the rebellion once they've saved Rey and he sees the planets get blown up. I think those planets are meant to be the New Republic so at that point it's pretty much, 'well f*** there's nowhere left to run'. I just see it as him being terrified and doing whatever he can to run until he finds a reason to turn and fight, as cheesy as that sounds.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII Trailer

Post by beardface » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:23 pm

LiDL wrote:
Speedo wrote:
SpoilerShow
Fair enough about Han Solo. I think I just want him to survive because he's great. On Finn - I totally accept that premise, but what makes no sense is the sudden total rebellion - immediately giving up everything you've ever worked for and believed in for the rebellion. It just doesn't make sense that he would switch as fast as he did. He switches sides with certainty immediately which I just did not find believable. Maybe it will be explained in 8/9 - the force in him or something. But it doesn't make sense to me at this point.
SpoilerShow
Yeah I loved Han in this, nice to see Ford give an actual performance again <awe> I think with Finn he doesn't immediately join the rebellion. At the start he's wanting to run away and all the way up to when the First Order attack Mos Eisley Cantina mk2 he's basically just trying to run away and going with whoever will get help him run. When he sees that Rey's been kidnapped he goes to try to save her because he likes her and knows what will happen to her on the Deathstar mk3 and then he only really joins the rebellion once they've saved Rey and he sees the planets get blown up. I think those planets are meant to be the New Republic so at that point it's pretty much, 'well f*** there's nowhere left to run'. I just see it as him being terrified and doing whatever he can to run until he finds a reason to turn and fight, as cheesy as that sounds.
SpoilerShow
This. I have no problem with Finn's storyline whatsoever. I was also fine with the film basically being a remake of A New Hope too (although it did make Hans death extremely obvious once he spotted his son.)
I enjoyed it. Maybe because I'm not a huge Star Wars fan who went into the cinema expecting the greatest film of all time.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Going to see this tonight. Some arsehole has already spoiled it for me on Facebook.
I dunno

PFT

Post by PFT » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Duke wrote:Going to see this tonight. Some arsehole has already spoiled it for me on Facebook.
You sure it wasn't Future Duke?
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:45 pm

I hate that cronut <wenger>.
I dunno

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Just saw it. Fantastic CGI, but predictable screenplay.
SpoilerShow
The Death Star must be the most sophisticated weapon in the whole Universe, so how he can be destroyed so easily? To be fair, it was a bit more difficult than Return of the Jedi when dropping two shits from outer space in one hole, was enough... but still.

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:01 pm

Johnny from the block wrote:Just saw it. Fantastic CGI, but predictable screenplay.
SpoilerShow
The Death Star must be the most sophisticated weapon in the whole Universe, so how he can be destroyed so easily? To be fair, it was a bit more difficult than Return of the Jedi when dropping two shits from outer space in one hole, was enough... but still.
SpoilerShow
Bear in mind that thing is consuming an entire suns worth of energy to fire once. It's got to vent that or control it somehow and I guess they just destroyed that bit which made the whole base implode or some s***.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:32 pm

Got roped into seeing this on Sunday. It's f***ing s***. The bad guy is a fanny and looks like a young professor Snape.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:41 pm

LiDL wrote:
Johnny from the block wrote:Just saw it. Fantastic CGI, but predictable screenplay.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Bear in mind that thing is consuming an entire suns worth of energy to fire once. It's got to vent that or control it somehow and I guess they just destroyed that bit which made the whole base implode or some s***.
SpoilerShow
The Death Star 30 years ago was destroyed by bombers and X-wings, after the shield was shut down... now was exactly the same. And if you think more about it, it looks even more ridiculous, because first of all, this was happen before, and they must learn the lesson and secondly, now there wasn't any bombers unlike the first time. Now was just 20 X-wings... against the whole planet.

If this place is so vulnerable, shouldn't be guarded by more guns on the surface and stormtroopers from inside? I saw just a few cannons, few fighters and few stormtroopers always running to somewhere.

Sure, because of Lost and Fringe, I expect more from J.J. Abrams, but even if this wasn't true, part of the plot is just sloppy if you think about it.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:06 am

Well, it was OK. There were a few f***ing stupid parts though.
I dunno

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:19 am

Johnny from the block wrote:
LiDL wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
The Death Star 30 years ago was destroyed by bombers and X-wings, after the shield was shut down... now was exactly the same. And if you think more about it, it looks even more ridiculous, because first of all, this was happen before, and they must learn the lesson and secondly, now there wasn't any bombers unlike the first time. Now was just 20 X-wings... against the whole planet.

If this place is so vulnerable, shouldn't be guarded by more guns on the surface and stormtroopers from inside? I saw just a few cannons, few fighters and few stormtroopers always running to somewhere.

Sure, because of Lost and Fringe, I expect more from J.J. Abrams, but even if this wasn't true, part of the plot is just sloppy if you think about it.
SpoilerShow
Well they do make a whole point of the fact that you can only deactivate the shield from on the actual planet and the only way to get past the shield was at lightspeed or whatever the f*** that flying really fast is called. Seeing as this is the only real way to bypass the shield it's not exactly unreasonable to think that the First Order wouldn't expect somebody to fly through the shield at hyperspeed and only come out of it once they were in the planet's atmosphere seeing as that's basically impossible. You can't really learn the lesson when that's not happened before. Also that's probably why there are less guards on the surface. Plus the only way they even managed to blow that thing up was blowing a hole in the side of it from the inside and having somebody fly inside to blow the rest of it up. I'm not sure I'd say it's a sloppy plot as much as just having characters who are ridiculously good at stuff (Han basically landing at hyperspeed, Poe flying into the base and blowing it up from the inside.) Re bombers I'm pretty sure they say something about having bombs on the X-wings as well? Not too sure, I've only seen it once. Oh and it's not really against the whole planet, they're not attacking the main base where everybody is stationed, they go for that weak spot bit that's hidden in the forest.

I'm probably coming across as some sort of sad fanatic but I do think there's a fair amount that wasn't great about the film, it's just the issues people are bringing up for the most part have explanation.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:40 pm

Hated it. Almost as bad as AotC

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Finally went to see it. Did enjoy it but they really did rip off the original three films something rotten!

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:18 am

Finally seen it!! Much better than the previous six combined.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:56 am

Looking forward to watching it when it's released on DVD.

I refuse to pay cinema prices anymore after I took the family out to see a film and by the time I factored in parking, tickets (2 adults and a child) and snacks with a bite to eat afterwards it cost only a tad less than I paid to fly all of us to Cologne for a weekend with Easyjet.