beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Re: Mass Effect Series

Post by beatski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:
Cal wrote:
SpoilerShow
The original ending was similar to the fan theory. They couldn't get a mechanic where you struggled against indoctrination to control Shepard to feel right/fun in time for Martin Sheen's already once delayed voice recording session, so it was scrapped. The Illusive Man was going to transform a bit and be a boss battle, but it was scrapped (although that might be for the best?).

Karpyshyn, the writer of ME1, ME2 and a load of other stuff, but not ME3, wanted to do something to do with the 'dark energy' mentioned in ME2, perhaps that the Reapers were preventing that from destroying the universe.
That sounds interesting, any links for Karpyshyn saying that?
Also wasn't the final version of the very end written exclusively by one guy with no-one to bounce off?
well when you bodge together an ending in a drunken haze in a single afternoon (finishing up with a slurred "thatll do"), you have very little time for feedback.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Cal wrote:
SpoilerShow
The original ending was similar to the fan theory. They couldn't get a mechanic where you struggled against indoctrination to control Shepard to feel right/fun in time for Martin Sheen's already once delayed voice recording session, so it was scrapped. The Illusive Man was going to transform a bit and be a boss battle, but it was scrapped (although that might be for the best?).

Karpyshyn, the writer of ME1, ME2 and a load of other stuff, but not ME3, wanted to do something to do with the 'dark energy' mentioned in ME2, perhaps that the Reapers were preventing that from destroying the universe.
That sounds interesting, any links for Karpyshyn saying that?
Also wasn't the final version of the very end written exclusively by one guy with no-one to bounce off?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ogy-ending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And something like that, I can't remember the details but I think it was Casey Hudson and Mac Walters.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:16 pm

My life is complete. http://www.biowarestore.com/brands/mass ... illow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpoilerShow
Get some much-needed shut-eye while one of your most loyal squadmates watches your back. This therapeutic companion pillow provides comfort and protection when your guard is down. The memory foam quickly calibrates to your body for unmatched support.

At 6 feet in length, the Garrus pillow is the only one you need. Your sleeping situation just got a whole lot less complicated.

Comes in black or white. Gray not available.

DDuc
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince

Post by DDuc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:26 pm

Cal wrote:My life is complete. http://www.biowarestore.com/brands/mass ... illow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpoilerShow
Get some much-needed shut-eye while one of your most loyal squadmates watches your back. This therapeutic companion pillow provides comfort and protection when your guard is down. The memory foam quickly calibrates to your body for unmatched support.

At 6 feet in length, the Garrus pillow is the only one you need. Your sleeping situation just got a whole lot less complicated.

Comes in black or white. Gray not available.
And here's me thinking they released the full trilogy collection with all DLC...
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:55 pm

I'm commander Shepard and this is my favourite pillow on the citadel

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Fri May 02, 2014 6:19 pm

I missed the news a few days ago, but the Bombcast mentioned this - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/46 ... tail-site/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - A Chilean retailer posted this and quickly removed it:

If that includes all the DLC (the PS3 'trilogy' release had all the important stuff but ME3 story DLC) then I guess I've found the version for my 'definitive' playthrough. <divax>

DDuc

Post by DDuc » Fri May 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Cal wrote:I missed the news a few days ago, but the Bombcast mentioned this - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/46 ... tail-site/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - A Chilean retailer posted this and quickly removed it:

If that includes all the DLC (the PS3 'trilogy' release had all the important stuff but ME3 story DLC) then I guess I've found the version for my 'definitive' playthrough. <divax>
<divax> <divax> <divax> <divax>
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

MitroLand
Les Lions Domptables
Les Lions Domptables

Post by MitroLand » Mon May 19, 2014 7:54 pm

I only played Mass Effect (the first one) for the first time a few months ago and very quickly found I had played and completed the whole trilogy and most of the DLC. Excellent series, one of the best gaming trilogies I've ever came across. Also loved the carry over of your character and stuff. There are some major problems with each game (The shooting mechanic in the first one, the scanning crap in the second, the ending) but really enjoyed it.
SpoilerShow
Failed miserably in my quest to find love though. Kept on trying to pull more than one character and ended up with Liara after ME1, no-one after ME2 (though I did get a rather erotic dance!) and no-one after ME3 either. Woops.
"Coming from here is special to me. I can relate to the supporters because I was one of them and still am." - Alan Shearer

DDuc

Post by DDuc » Mon May 19, 2014 10:10 pm

SedgyToon wrote:I only played Mass Effect (the first one) for the first time a few months ago and very quickly found I had played and completed the whole trilogy and most of the DLC. Excellent series, one of the best gaming trilogies I've ever came across. Also loved the carry over of your character and stuff. There are some major problems with each game (The shooting mechanic in the first one, the scanning crap in the second, the ending) but really enjoyed it.
SpoilerShow
Failed miserably in my quest to find love though. Kept on trying to pull more than one character and ended up with Liara after ME1, no-one after ME2 (though I did get a rather erotic dance!) and no-one after ME3 either. Woops.
Forever Alone <urgh>
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:33 am

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mass-effect-1 ... ements-mod" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If EA aren't going to get their s*** together and release a remastered, complete trilogy any time soon, I guess I've found my excuse to play the original and best again, but shinier. <awe>

Or maybe there is hope... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... t137643298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... gy-re-make" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

<divax>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:54 pm

The idea of DLC coming in when it's meant to is good. I played 2 on the ps3, so all the dlc was out and I played it when it was chronologically set, was great.

For me, the last two are still replayable, there'd have to be major bug fixes/loading time improvements to make it worth buying again
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:23 pm

Cal wrote:
If EA aren't going to get their s*** together and release a remastered, complete trilogy any time soon
hopefully with no shitty item inventory from the first one <awe>
and no/less shitty planet scanning from the second <awe>
and no shitty ending for the third one <roll>
(also, all DLC, obviously)

DDuc

Post by DDuc » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:29 pm

Beatski wrote:
Cal wrote:
If EA aren't going to get their s*** together and release a remastered, complete trilogy any time soon
hopefully with no shitty item inventory from the first one <awe>
and no/less shitty planet scanning from the second <awe>
and no shitty ending for the third one <roll>
(also, all DLC, obviously)
They're clearly gonna confirm the indoctrination theory and set it up for Mass Effect 4. <awe>
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:34 pm

Lol glen
REQUIEM

DDuc

Post by DDuc » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:46 pm

Ramone wrote:Lol glen
Areet
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:17 pm

A new series of Mass Effect novels published by Titan Books will serve as a link between the original Mass Effect trilogy and the upcoming Mass Effect: Andromeda.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/06/25/m ... -andromeda

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:28 am

Beatski wrote:A new series of Mass Effect novels published by Titan Books will serve as a link between the original Mass Effect trilogy and the upcoming Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Does anyone actually read game novels here? Always struck me as odd. Not usually the same writers; a good game story is bolstered by the game-play and told in a very different way to a novel.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:06 pm

never read one, no

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Beatski wrote:A new series of Mass Effect novels published by Titan Books will serve as a link between the original Mass Effect trilogy and the upcoming Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Does anyone actually read game novels here? Always struck me as odd. Not usually the same writers; a good game story is bolstered by the game-play and told in a very different way to a novel.
I've read the trilogy of Mass Effect books written by the lead writer of the first two games, Drew Karpyshyn (also lead writer for KOTOR). I liked them and have been meaning to try some of his standalone stuff...

I have zero interest in a book trying to tie ME3 to Andromeda though.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:09 am

КАЛ wrote:
I've read the trilogy of Mass Effect books written by the lead writer of the first two games, Drew Karpyshyn (also lead writer for KOTOR). I liked them and have been meaning to try some of his standalone stuff...

I have zero interest in a book trying to tie ME3 to Andromeda though.
Oh really? I presume the novels aren't make your own adventure, but a straight story. Isn't it odd having Mass Effect but without the choices? It always struck me that novel writing and games writing would be different skills, the former involving much more of a feedback loop with other creators