23%
Linux
14%

Total votes: 22

mal7
Tindall's Hoody

Re: Operating Systems

Post by mal7 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Amnesiac wrote:Aye, money is the only issue I had when I bought mine. Don't see myself buying another computer for a while with the money I've spent on this and software. <laugh>
Same here, the only way I felt even remotely ok with spending that much on a laptop recently is knowing that my last one lasted almost 7 years. I'd say one of the most annoying things about the Mac OS is a lot of its users, the ones that refuse to accept a shred of criticism against any aspect to do with it (making it really useless when you're on tech forums looking anything up). I do mostly enjoy using it, especially considering how many hours a day I have to spend on my computer, so I'd really rather it didn't piss me off too much giving me endless notifications or asking me to update when I want to shut down, etc.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:13 pm

skalpel wrote:Are mac users at all bothered by the thought that you can save hundreds, or in some cases nearly £1000 by purchasing a non Apple computer that is similar spec? Is it that the extra money does not matter because of your love for the OS?
2 things:
1. My Dad got it for me as a leaving-for-uni present, so no cost for me <ok>
2. They tend to last longer than the competition apparently

If it was my own money, I probably never would have converted, but now I have, I don't hope to go back.
I had the first custom w***

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Native gaming on Linux may be about to be helped immensely, courtesy of Valve.

http://www.toonforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Valve and Gabe Newell's interest in Linux goes beyond what would be expected of any normal game company, but Valve is certainly a unique beast. Listening to Gabe Newell talk about Linux for hours made me wonder whether he was a former ex-Microsoft employee (where he actually did work in his pre-Valve days in the 90's) or the director of the Linux Foundation. His level of Linux interest and commitment was incredible while his negativity for Windows 8 and the future of Microsoft was stunning. In fact, as soon as I return to my office this weekend I plan to try out Windows 8 simply to see if it's as bad as Gabe states.

Tomski
Le Championski
Le Championski

Post by Tomski » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:14 pm

I keep installing different versions of Linux alongside Windows 7. I've tried Mint, Ubuntu and Kubuntu but I just haven't been able to get into them. As for that Unity on Ubuntu, it's awful!

Want to give the Windows 8 Consumer Preview a go sometime soon. From the videos I've seen of it though I can see a lot of people sticking with Windows 7.

As for Macs; they are incredibly sexy, but I can't justify paying over the odds when you can get similar specs on a different OS for much less.

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:44 pm

mal7 wrote:Same here, the only way I felt even remotely ok with spending that much on a laptop recently is knowing that my last one lasted almost 7 years. I'd say one of the most annoying things about the Mac OS is a lot of its users, the ones that refuse to accept a shred of criticism against any aspect to do with it (making it really useless when you're on tech forums looking anything up). I do mostly enjoy using it, especially considering how many hours a day I have to spend on my computer, so I'd really rather it didn't piss me off too much giving me endless notifications or asking me to update when I want to shut down, etc.
Completely agree. 'Apple Fanboys' are one of the most irritating groups of people I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. The only positive is I won't encounter any of the them for a long time to come. As for the Mac, I too enjoy using it when I have work to do or just generally want to come online, the only downside that really annoys me when using it is the rainbow wheel when I'm in the middle of editing something in InDesign or Illustrator.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu May 03, 2012 1:43 pm

Xbox 360, Windows 7, Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player to be banned in Germany, if Microsoft don't win appeal. http://www.develop-online.net/news/4066 ... ss-Germany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu May 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Woah, Christ.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu May 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Cal wrote:Xbox 360, Windows 7, Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player to be banned in Germany, if Microsoft don't win appeal. http://www.develop-online.net/news/4066 ... ss-Germany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blimey!

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu May 03, 2012 1:56 pm

Apparently this is down to the H.264 codec patent, and Microsoft rejecting the licensing terms Motorola demanded for it's use.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Cal wrote:Apparently this is down to the H.264 codec patent, and Microsoft rejecting the licensing terms Motorola demanded for it's use.
Because Microsoft claim it would cost them $4 billion per year...

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu May 03, 2012 2:08 pm

overseasTOON MD wrote:
Cal wrote:Apparently this is down to the H.264 codec patent, and Microsoft rejecting the licensing terms Motorola demanded for it's use.
Because Microsoft claim it would cost them $4 billion per year...
I can see why they think that's an extortionate price, they do have experience in that area after all. <whistle>