Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Money & More

User avatar
PTAO?
Australia
Australia
Posts: 8383
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by PTAO? » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:04 am

Pardew's Legendary Specs wrote:
Tirer le Ryan Oison Uneski wrote:It pisses me off when the BBC tricks me into clicking links about Women's Football by not making it clear in the headline.
They did it for a coupes of weeks <laugh>

It does virtually always say women's football etc now
Yeah there was a time when it was really bad.
Still sometimes happens though <fist>

User avatar
Cheik the room
Banned
Banned
Posts: 3700
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Cheik the room » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Prison should be a punishment, fact is, it's not for some.

Murderers, rapists, paedophiles, violent gang members, people involved in human trafficking, pimps etc. (the real dregs of society) should be left to rot. People like this are inherently bad. They are not 'one off' criminals, they were not in the wrong place at the wrong time, they are evil and intent on personal gain and ruining / ending other people's lives, ruling by fear. Personally I'd have most of them killed if I was reorganising the justice system.

People who make a mistake, or a one off bad decision, get involved in pety (non violent) crime; sure - put them in the prison holiday camp as it is now and rehabilitate them.

But the true scum of society should burn.
Correct. Reduce the surplus population while forever ridding the world of dangerous scum. It's perfect.
"Yeah, because when they shout go, go, go, go, take him on, take him on, you know, you, you can fly, you go and you try because it's a joy to play in front of our supporters."

User avatar
Cheik the room
Banned
Banned
Posts: 3700
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Cheik the room » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Speedo wrote:
TJR wrote:So if I murder someone as long as I say I'm sorry and appear 'genuinely remorseful' you want to allow me back on the streets to go and kill someone else?
Obviously it's difficult to judge these kinds of things. What I'm saying is that intentionally rehabilitation based justice systems, such as Norway's, produce far more reoffenders than ours. They also have a lower murder rate. Our prisons breed criminals rather than reintegrating them successfully into society. So, what I'm really saying is there's no evidence that what you suggest might happen actually happens in reality, or not to a large degree.
I kind of see your point Speedo, but my problem is this...let's take 100 murderers. 99 of them are brilliantly rehabilitated and reintegrated back into society. One comes out and murders a child. That is a 1% re offending rate, which seems amazing on the face of things. But to me, that 1 innocent child's life is worth far more than the 99 murderers who got a second chance.
"Yeah, because when they shout go, go, go, go, take him on, take him on, you know, you, you can fly, you go and you try because it's a joy to play in front of our supporters."

User avatar
Cheik the room
Banned
Banned
Posts: 3700
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Cheik the room » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:25 pm

The Dream Boat wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Capital punishment for murderers, paedophiles and that kind of scum will keep the prison pop to a sustainable level. I don't see why tax payers should have to fund long prison sentences for people who don't deserve to live, let alone be rehabilitated.

It's impossible to stop a lot of people offending regardless of how much money is thrown at it.

As I said earlier, I agree that for more minor and unserious crimes then by all means rehabilitate and educate offenders. I've no problem with that (but would still remove a lot of their luxuries they get access to in prison) - my point is that the true scum of society have no right to the same treatment.
Paedophiles aren't scum. Their crimes are disgusting but they're dealing with a serious mental health issue described in the DSM. Do you actually think they want to be attracted to children? That's a debate which will throw this thread completely off topic however. <laugh>

On your why should tax payers fork out for prisoners and rehab etc well they should fork out because the cost of crime and reoffending is far greater than keeping someone in prison/rehabilitating them.
They aren't scum for being attracted to children, they're scum for acting on it. You come across as one of these high horse people who will defend any human's rights to the death, I can bet you would have a totally different view if it was YOUR child, mother, sister who was the victim.
As a society, we need to start forgetting the perpetrator's and start thinking of the VICTIMS.
"Yeah, because when they shout go, go, go, go, take him on, take him on, you know, you, you can fly, you go and you try because it's a joy to play in front of our supporters."

User avatar
Seagull
Portugal
Portugal
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Seagull » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:49 pm

Cheik the room wrote:
The Dream Boat wrote:
Paedophiles aren't scum. Their crimes are disgusting but they're dealing with a serious mental health issue described in the DSM. Do you actually think they want to be attracted to children? That's a debate which will throw this thread completely off topic however. <laugh>

On your why should tax payers fork out for prisoners and rehab etc well they should fork out because the cost of crime and reoffending is far greater than keeping someone in prison/rehabilitating them.
They aren't scum for being attracted to children, they're scum for acting on it. You come across as one of these high horse people who will defend any human's rights to the death, I can bet you would have a totally different view if it was YOUR child, mother, sister who was the victim.
As a society, we need to start forgetting the perpetrator's and start thinking of the VICTIMS.
Yeah, because people who are the victims of crime are the best people to make objective, rational decisions <erm>
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

User avatar
Cheik the room
Banned
Banned
Posts: 3700
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Cheik the room » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:43 pm

I want curly fries too wrote:
Cheik the room wrote: They aren't scum for being attracted to children, they're scum for acting on it. You come across as one of these high horse people who will defend any human's rights to the death, I can bet you would have a totally different view if it was YOUR child, mother, sister who was the victim.
As a society, we need to start forgetting the perpetrator's and start thinking of the VICTIMS.
Yeah, because people who are the victims of crime are the best people to make objective, rational decisions <erm>
Where one arth did I say anything even remotely like that? I said as a society we need to start thinking of the victims, not protecting the perpetrator's human rights. This is why we need the doh smiley back, but I'll settle for this:

<facepalm> <facepalm>

Read the post properly next time before commenting.
"Yeah, because when they shout go, go, go, go, take him on, take him on, you know, you, you can fly, you go and you try because it's a joy to play in front of our supporters."

User avatar
Van Beatski
Panama
Panama
Posts: 22295
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: The Dangerzone

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Van Beatski » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:46 pm

Cheik the room wrote:
The Dream Boat wrote:
Paedophiles aren't scum. Their crimes are disgusting but they're dealing with a serious mental health issue described in the DSM. Do you actually think they want to be attracted to children? That's a debate which will throw this thread completely off topic however. <laugh>

On your why should tax payers fork out for prisoners and rehab etc well they should fork out because the cost of crime and reoffending is far greater than keeping someone in prison/rehabilitating them.
They aren't scum for being attracted to children, they're scum for acting on it. You come across as one of these high horse people who will defend any human's rights to the death, I can bet you would have a totally different view if it was YOUR child, mother, sister who was the victim.
As a society, we need to start forgetting the perpetrator's and start thinking of the VICTIMS.

Image

User avatar
Seagull
Portugal
Portugal
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Seagull » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:56 pm

Cheik the room wrote:
I want curly fries too wrote:
Yeah, because people who are the victims of crime are the best people to make objective, rational decisions <erm>
Where one arth did I say anything even remotely like that? I said as a society we need to start thinking of the victims, not protecting the perpetrator's human rights. This is why we need the doh smiley back, but I'll settle for this:

<facepalm> <facepalm>

Read the post properly next time before commenting.
I've re-read it and it still says
I can bet you would have a totally different view if it was YOUR child, mother, sister who was the victim.
You're suggesting that an objective, impartial view on the promotion of human rights would change to what you consider is the 'right' opinion if one had personal experience with crime, and that The Dream Boat is unqualified to talk about justice because you don't think he has experienced such crime, right? Or am I mistaken?
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

User avatar
Seagull
Portugal
Portugal
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Seagull » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:28 am

Also, whilst I'm here, today (well, technically yesterday) saw an NUS summit on tackling 'lad culture'. Here's a Guardian article summarising the day's events.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... -live-blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Somewhat interesting read at times, I'm interested to know where people see the somewhat blurred lines* between 'banter' and cultural patriarchy or whatever. Is 'lad culture' as much of a problem as this summit implies? What is acceptable and what isn't?





* :bandit:
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

User avatar
Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4382
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:04 pm
Location: London

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:17 am

I want curly fries too wrote:Also, whilst I'm here, today (well, technically yesterday) saw an NUS summit on tackling 'lad culture'. Here's a Guardian article summarising the day's events.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... -live-blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Somewhat interesting read at times, I'm interested to know where people see the somewhat blurred lines* between 'banter' and cultural patriarchy or whatever. Is 'lad culture' as much of a problem as this summit implies? What is acceptable and what isn't?





* :bandit:
I'll try and explain my point better in the morning but the whole summit is a f***ing joke and while you're on the subject blurred lines isn't a particularly offensive song either <ok>

User avatar
Cheik the room
Banned
Banned
Posts: 3700
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Cheik the room » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:48 am

I want curly fries too wrote:
Cheik the room wrote: Where one arth did I say anything even remotely like that? I said as a society we need to start thinking of the victims, not protecting the perpetrator's human rights. This is why we need the doh smiley back, but I'll settle for this:

<facepalm> <facepalm>

Read the post properly next time before commenting.
What I'm suggesting is that it's easy for someone to sit and play the big one about human rights etc when they have never had first hand experience of an evil criminal. An equal example would be David Cameron or the queen preaching to people who are on the verge of bankruptcy about how they should be doing this or that. It's so easy to get up on a soapbox.
I've re-read it and it still says
I can bet you would have a totally different view if it was YOUR child, mother, sister who was the victim.
You're suggesting that an objective, impartial view on the promotion of human rights would change to what you consider is the 'right' opinion if one had personal experience with crime, and that The Dream Boat is unqualified to talk about justice because you don't think he has experienced such crime, right? Or am I mistaken?
"Yeah, because when they shout go, go, go, go, take him on, take him on, you know, you, you can fly, you go and you try because it's a joy to play in front of our supporters."

User avatar
PTAO?
Australia
Australia
Posts: 8383
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by PTAO? » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:49 am

I f***ing hate feminists.
There are so many female only grants and funding to get women into science. There is f*** all men only grants and funding to get men into **** subjects/the kitchen.

User avatar
Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4382
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:04 pm
Location: London

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 am

Tirer le Ryan Oison Uneski wrote:I f***ing hate feminists.
There are so many female only grants and funding to get women into science. There is f*** all men only grants and funding to get men into **** subjects/the kitchen.
<applause> <awe> Couldn't have put it better myself.

User avatar
Speedo
Nigeria
Nigeria
Posts: 8486
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: London

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Speedo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:54 am

What you actually hate is positive discrimination (which I also hate), that's not necessarily feminism. <roll>
I had the first custom w***

User avatar
PLS
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies
Posts: 9134
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: At 'Work'

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by PLS » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:56 am

Speedo wrote:What you actually hate is positive discrimination (which I also hate), that's not necessarily feminism. <roll>
Agree <ok

Like the council saying we don't have enough Asians or women etc so let's just hire them. Nothing about hiring whoever a best for the job anymore
<cheers> ............ ......... <cheers>

User avatar
PTAO?
Australia
Australia
Posts: 8383
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by PTAO? » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Speedo wrote:What you actually hate is positive discrimination (which I also hate), that's not necessarily feminism. <roll>
Yes, but you get a lot of "feminists" pushing these policies.

User avatar
Seagull
Portugal
Portugal
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Seagull » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Tirer le Ryan Oison Uneski wrote:
Speedo wrote:What you actually hate is positive discrimination (which I also hate), that's not necessarily feminism. <roll>
Yes, but you get a lot of "feminists" pushing these policies.
What about the idea of a 'rape culture'?
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

User avatar
PTAO?
Australia
Australia
Posts: 8383
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by PTAO? » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:54 pm

I want curly fries too wrote:
Tirer le Ryan Oison Uneski wrote:
Yes, but you get a lot of "feminists" pushing these policies.
What about the idea of a 'rape culture'?
I'm not sure what you are trying to ask?

User avatar
Little Lion Man
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Little Lion Man » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:01 pm

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet (I haven't read any other page in this thread <roll> ), but the fact that female tennis players get the same winnings as men in Grand Slams pisses me off.

User avatar
Seagull
Portugal
Portugal
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Seagull » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:04 pm

Tirer le Ryan Oison Uneski wrote:
I want curly fries too wrote:
What about the idea of a 'rape culture'?
I'm not sure what you are trying to ask?
It was more in response to your original comment about hating feminists because of their push for positive discrimination, interested in what your opinion is of the idea of gender inequality/discrimination in a 'lad' or 'rape' culture rather than in institutions.

Just trying to get some conversation going and chose you because you had an opinion on feminism <roll> .
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Post Reply