Album Swap

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Re: Album Swap

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri May 20, 2016 12:41 am

skalpel wrote:<laugh> Okay sure.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... iyW_I07lcz

Don't be put off by the band name <roll>.

There's one track missing from the playlist there, and it's a decent one but it's no huge loss. The top bananas are all there.
Sounding good so far! <ok> <gent>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 am

Well it just finished and Rattlesnakes was a fantastic album, thanks for the recommendation. Can't believe this is a debut album, it sounds really confident. "2cv", "Down on Mission Street", and "Are You Ready..." were my favourites. I hope this isn't insulting (because who doesn't hate the guy) but the singer sometimes reminded me a bit of 80s Morrissey - and that's not an insult either, it works really well. "Four Flights Up" was great too, and for some reason the way it opens reminds me of the closing song on Rubber Soul by the Beatles. Same sort of bouncing rhythm.

<gold> <gold> <gold> <gold> <grey>

Now going to listen to the bonus tracks. Are their other albums worth checking out?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri May 20, 2016 12:55 am

skalpel wrote:Well it just finished and Rattlesnakes was a fantastic album, thanks for the recommendation. Can't believe this is a debut album, it sounds really confident. "2cv", "Down on Mission Street", and "Are You Ready..." were my favourites. I hope this isn't insulting (because who doesn't hate the guy) but the singer sometimes reminded me a bit of 80s Morrissey - and that's not an insult either, it works really well. "Four Flights Up" was great too, and for some reason the way it opens reminds me of the closing song on Rubber Soul by the Beatles. Same sort of bouncing rhythm.

<gold> <gold> <gold> <gold> <grey>

Now going to listen to the bonus tracks. Are their other albums worth checking out?
Glad you liked it. :)

Personally I think this was their best album, but the next two "Commotions" albums are also really good, just not quite up to the consistent standard of this one, although Mainstream is almost as good in my opinion. After that the band split and Lloyd Cole has continued to release solo albums all the way up to now. They are mostly a bit hit and miss for me, still worth checking out, but with expectations lowered a bit. Rattlesnakes though is still a classic album and considered by many to be one of the best albums of the eighties.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri May 20, 2016 1:00 am

Donkey Toon wrote:Glad you liked it. :)

Personally I think this was their best album, but the next two "Commotions" albums are also really good, just not quite up to the consistent standard of this one, although Mainstream is almost as good in my opinion. After that the band split and Lloyd Cole has continued to release solo albums all the way up to now. They are mostly a bit hit and miss for me, still worth checking out, but with expectations lowered a bit. Rattlesnakes though is still a classic album and considered by many to be one of the best albums of the eighties.
It was superb <ok>. Cheers, I'll certainly give the next two Commotions albums a go then.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri May 20, 2016 1:38 am

Jaga Jazzist - What We Must <gold> <gold> <gold> <gold> <half>

Great album! Loved the chop and change of the melodies, reminding me a bit of The Cardiacs, but with a heavier jazz influence. Stand out tracks, "Stardust Hotel", "Mikado" and most especially "I have a ghost, now what". The last having a great glockenspiel (spelling?) melody overlaid with saxophone, keyboards and god knows what else. Splendid stuff.

My only criticism would be that occassionally it felt like there was a bit too much going on. But it would normally be a short term thing and I accept that on future listens I may well get what they were doing and not even see it as a shortcoming, because this is an album and a sound that is too complex to fully absorb on one hearing and would I fully expect to be a "grower". In fact i'm pretty sure that you would still find new things to appreciate twenty listens in.

Definitely going to seek out some more of their stuff. Thanks for the recommendation!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri May 20, 2016 1:44 am

Awesome, I'm really glad you liked it. Yeah it's definitely one of those albums that hits you with a huge sound that you know is going to demand repeated listens. It took me a long time to warm to it because it's very different to most of their other stuff. I'd say that their most recent album Starfire is closest in sound to What We Must. My favourite of theirs is A Livingroom Hush, but it sounds basically nothing like What We Must at all.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat May 21, 2016 6:07 pm

Anyone fancy a swap?

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Sat May 21, 2016 6:08 pm

<roll>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat May 21, 2016 6:09 pm

Alright bready, you have any style requests?

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Sat May 21, 2016 7:22 pm

I dunno.

What'd you want? <roll> I have no idea what to put forward <diva>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat May 21, 2016 7:36 pm

Have you heard Rain Dogs by Tom Waits? If not, then there's yours.

I don't have any specific requests. Nothing with a particularly whiny singer though, I guess <roll>.

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Sun May 22, 2016 5:03 pm

skalpel wrote:Have you heard Rain Dogs by Tom Waits? If not, then there's yours.

I don't have any specific requests. Nothing with a particularly whiny singer though, I guess <roll>.
I can't make any promises you won't find them whiny <roll>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon May 23, 2016 9:56 am

beardface wrote:
skalpel wrote:Have you heard Rain Dogs by Tom Waits? If not, then there's yours.

<roll> Will listen today.

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Mon May 23, 2016 5:17 pm

skalpel wrote:
beardface wrote:

<roll> Will listen today.
Same.. Or tomorrow. <roll>

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Mon May 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Anyone fancy a swap? Need some new music for work.
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon May 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Ramone wrote:Anyone fancy a swap? Need some new music for work.
Sure, I'm on a listening binge at the minute so I'm happy to swap if you like. You have any preferences at all?

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Mon May 23, 2016 11:19 pm

I'm up for doing one of these if anybody fancies as well. Been going through a 1001 albums book in chronological order recently, would be nice to listen to something that isn't from the 60s or 70s for a change.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon May 23, 2016 11:25 pm

LiDL wrote:I'm up for doing one of these if anybody fancies as well. Been going through a 1001 albums book in chronological order recently, would be nice to listen to something that isn't from the 60s or 70s for a change.
Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Tue May 24, 2016 8:29 am

skalpel wrote:
Ramone wrote:Anyone fancy a swap? Need some new music for work.
Sure, I'm on a listening binge at the minute so I'm happy to swap if you like. You have any preferences at all?
Vaudeville Villian by Viktor Vaughn/MF Doom
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue May 24, 2016 9:09 am

Ramone wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Vaudeville Villian by Viktor Vaughn/MF Doom
Already absolutely love this album, sorry. Big fan of DOOM. Good rec though.

Aphex Twin - Syro