Loanees 2016/2017 (Armstrong-watch)

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Loanees 2016/2017 (Armstrong-watch)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:54 am

TJR wrote:
golasambi wrote:hes on loan bt contratctt runnin out n nt much chance of bein renenwed. cnt imagine him playinfor us again
Yeah, I doubt we'll renew his contract. He seems to have found his level in league 1.

I do think we should bring Shola back. He would be a great replacement for Cathro. Doesn't get much better than starting your coaching career under Rafa.
This is why we can't have nice things <wah>

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:30 am

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
TJR wrote:
Yeah, I doubt we'll renew his contract. He seems to have found his level in league 1.

I do think we should bring Shola back. He would be a great replacement for Cathro. Doesn't get much better than starting your coaching career under Rafa.
You are serious? <yikes> I'd be supportive of Shola as a junior coach, but as assistant?! Waaay too soon, let him work his way up and get someone more qualified as assistant manager in the meantime.
He doesn't have to come in as assistant. Could promote one of the existing members of staff then bring Shola in below them.

He the club better than most and has seen just about everything during his time here. He's supposedly very intelligent as well. He's been doing his coaching badges and has said in the past he'd like to manage us one day.

His presence alone would be a massive benefit to everyone at the club and who better to learn off than Rafa.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:32 am

TJR wrote:
Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
You are serious? <yikes> I'd be supportive of Shola as a junior coach, but as assistant?! Waaay too soon, let him work his way up and get someone more qualified as assistant manager in the meantime.
He doesn't have to come in as assistant. Could promote one of the existing members of staff then bring Shola in below them.

He the club better than most and has seen just about everything during his time here. He's supposedly very intelligent as well. He's been doing his coaching badges and has said in the past he'd like to manage us one day.

His presence alone would be a massive benefit to everyone at the club and who better to learn off than Rafa.
Oh well that makes much more sense, your OP was suggesting he directly replace Cathro. What you've said above is eminently sensible and I agree with it <ok>
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:49 am

Not sure his presence would benefit the whole club. He was a s*** footballer so what makes you think he'll be a decent coach? He stole a career in the 12 years he was here.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:52 am

Yeah I don't think that his presence at the club would make much difference tbh. Let him get some experience elsewhere, and if he looks like he could become a decent coach then bring him in. No room for sentiment in football anymore.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:01 am

The last thing we need is to be a club for the 'old boys'.

We should employ the best available that match the clubs remit.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:28 pm

Toondes wrote: He was a s*** footballer so what makes you think he'll be a decent coach?

Remind me again about the Balon D'Or-esque exploits of Ferguson, Mourinho, Saachi etc.
Or perhaps the managerial master that is Maradona

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:50 pm

Beatski wrote:
Toondes wrote: He was a s*** footballer so what makes you think he'll be a decent coach?

Remind me again about the Balon D'Or-esque exploits of Ferguson, Mourinho, Saachi etc.
Are you seriously mentioning Shola in the same sentence as those haha. Shola made a career for being a joke. I certainly don't want him coaching players on how to finish ect. We'd be shinning nearly every goal.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Shola was a limited player (largely by injuries caused by playing through issues while alleged superstars warmed treatment tables) but to call him s*** is a massive overstatement, especially given that many of his qualities were the same ones everyone's praising Mitrovic for in the transfer thread. He was a solid backup on the Premier League and would have bossed our last Championship season were it not for yet another injury. His finishing certainly wasn't s***, not many players with a penalty record like his.

I'd definitely have him as a coach at some level of he'd put himself through the necessary training.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Colly wrote:Shola was a limited player (largely by injuries caused by playing through issues while alleged superstars warmed treatment tables) but to call him s*** is a massive overstatement, especially given that many of his qualities were the same ones everyone's praising Mitrovic for in the transfer thread. He was a solid backup on the Premier League and would have bossed our last Championship season were it not for yet another injury. His finishing certainly wasn't s***, not many players with a penalty record like his.

I'd definitely have him as a coach at some level of he'd put himself through the necessary training.
He definitely had ability to finish and if it wasn't for the hip problem he played with under Roeder he might well have had a better career. But if you watch his goals compilation on youtube it is disturbing how many he scuffed in <laugh>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:57 pm

A goals a goal, he could have scored half of them with his arse as long they cross the line...

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:05 pm

Colly wrote:A goals a goal, he could have scored half of them with his arse as long they cross the line...
Except his goal record is terrible. If he weren't a local lad who was happy being a sub for that long because it was his boyhood club, he never would have had as long a career with us as he did - it isn't as if anyone else wanted him. He seems like a nice guy, who got along with everyone, and he certainly fulfilled a role. But he has yet to do anything post-career to suggest he's ready for a serious coaching role, and if an equivalent player with a career at a different club were talked up for a senior coaching role with us, people would think it ridiculous.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:32 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
Colly wrote:A goals a goal, he could have scored half of them with his arse as long they cross the line...
Except his goal record is terrible. If he weren't a local lad who was happy being a sub for that long because it was his boyhood club, he never would have had as long a career with us as he did - it isn't as if anyone else wanted him. He seems like a nice guy, who got along with everyone, and he certainly fulfilled a role. But he has yet to do anything post-career to suggest he's ready for a serious coaching role, and if an equivalent player with a career at a different club were talked up for a senior coaching role with us, people would think it ridiculous.
This

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:54 pm

He had one hell of a left butt cheek.

golasambi
Pope's Goalposts

Post by golasambi » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:25 pm

lol

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:37 pm

Toondes wrote:
Beatski wrote:

Are you seriously mentioning Shola in the same sentence as those haha. Shola made a career for being a joke. I certainly don't want him coaching players on how to finish ect. We'd be shinning nearly every goal.
are you seriously not getting the point?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:55 pm

Beatski wrote:
Toondes wrote: Are you seriously mentioning Shola in the same sentence as those haha. Shola made a career for being a joke. I certainly don't want him coaching players on how to finish ect. We'd be shinning nearly every goal.
Yeah .......but Shola.

Actually no I don't , what is your point ? You think Shola would be decent because of those mentioned above weren't great in their playing days either?
People have short memories , he was a laughing stock for years. People used to abuse him constantly for his shocking displays. Now he's gone he's some kind of cult hero who "some" want back as a coach. Each to their own but not for me personally.

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:10 pm

Toondes wrote:
Beatski wrote:
Yeah .......but Shola.

Actually no I don't , what is your point ? You think Shola would be decent because of those mentioned above weren't great in their playing days either?
People have short memories , he was a laughing stock for years. People used to abuse him constantly for his shocking displays. Now he's gone he's some kind of cult hero who "some" want back as a coach. Each to their own but not for me personally.
I think beatski's trying to say a one's playing career has absolutely no relationship with their ability as a coach or manager.
Don't hinder the Trinder

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:17 pm

MultipleJesuses wrote:
Toondes wrote: Yeah .......but Shola.

I think beatski's trying to say a one's playing career has absolutely no relationship with their ability as a coach or manager.
Yes I know , I was just trying to be clever. I honestly don't think he has what it takes to be a coach but football is all about opinions !!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:12 pm

That's less of an opinion and more of a guess.