Other Clubs' Transfer Rumours/Deals (Summer 16/17)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Other Clubs' Transfer Rumours/Deals (Summer 16/17)

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:30 pm

A guy at my gym was saying if Defoe was sold they've been linked with Wilson from Bournemouth as a replacement (not a dissimilar type of player).

...just saw that West Ham have ended their interest in him. If we go up and they go down we could do worse than sign Defoe for a season or two.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:46 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:A guy at my gym was saying if Defoe was sold they've been linked with Wilson from Bournemouth as a replacement (not a dissimilar type of player).

...just saw that West Ham have ended their interest in him. If we go up and they go down we could do worse than sign Defoe for a season or two.
Glen Foy would be happy.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:34 pm

Not a transfer but Everton have agreed a new shirt sponsorship and training ground sponsor worth a combined £75m over 5 years.

I'm really keen to see us do more in terms of marketing. I'm probably in the minority who would prefer our next sponsor to go to the highest bidder rather than a return of the Newcastle Brown Ale for nostalgia.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:20 pm

I don't buy our shirts so not really bothered who sponsors tbh. May as well be he highest bidder, no point pretending that modern football is about anything other than money.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:I don't buy our shirts so not really bothered who sponsors tbh. May as well be he highest bidder, no point pretending that modern football is about anything other than money.
I'm sure when Newcastle Brown were the sponsor they were the ones willing to pay the most too. Let's not get too nostalgic and pretend there was a time money didn't matter to football - the difference just is the dollar amounts eclipse what they used to be, and that can be said for just about everything (car prices, CEO salaries, petrol prices, etc.)

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:25 pm

TBC wrote:Not a transfer but Everton have agreed a new shirt sponsorship and training ground sponsor worth a combined £75m over 5 years.

I'm really keen to see us do more in terms of marketing. I'm probably in the minority who would prefer our next sponsor to go to the highest bidder rather than a return of the Newcastle Brown Ale for nostalgia.
Depends, if the highest bidder is someone like Tampax I'd rather go to the next highest <laugh>

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:08 pm

West Ham have another bid rejected, this time £3m for Snodgrass. Why do they make all their deals public? It's embarrassing.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:22 pm

TBC wrote:Not a transfer but Everton have agreed a new shirt sponsorship and training ground sponsor worth a combined £75m over 5 years.

Depends how much the difference is. If Newcastle Brown Ale offered £500k (I realise it would be much more) and someone Wongaesque offered £2m I wouldn't give a s*** even though it's four times as much as it's peanuts in football terms.
I dunno

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Suppose. I just find it odd that Ashley who's all about the money isn't utilising marketing opportunities more. When adidas dropped us the puma deal wasn't as lucrative (though I'm not sure about the terms of the extension we signed), and we all know about the free stadium advertising for Sports Direct. The fact that the Wonga deal was our best ever shows how poor we've been in this area.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:51 pm

TBC wrote:West Ham have another bid rejected, this time £3m for Snodgrass. Why do they make all their deals public? It's embarrassing.
£3m is an insult <laugh>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
TBC wrote:West Ham have another bid rejected, this time £3m for Snodgrass. Why do they make all their deals public? It's embarrassing.
£3m is an insult <laugh>
Talk about the value a player has to a relegation-threatened club. Snodgrass is as important to Hull as Defoe is to Sunderland

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:56 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
£3m is an insult <laugh>
Talk about the value a player has to a relegation-threatened club. Snodgrass is as important to Hull as Defoe is to Sunderland
Yep. He's delivering in a poor team and vital to them.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:51 am

If we got Brown Ale, we'd sell more shirts.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:08 am

Luque wrote:

Which the club gets next to zero money on. Brown Ale is owned by Heineken though so it's not as if they couldn't plough some money into sponsoring us if they wanted to.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:44 am

The Angry Badger. wrote:
Luque wrote:
Which the club gets next to zero money on. Brown Ale is owned by Heineken though so it's not as if they couldn't plough some money into sponsoring us if they wanted to.
Speaking from a brand/marketing perspective, in theory at least the largest benefit from a sponsorship will occur when the two brands - that is, NUFC and the sponsor brand - either share key attributes or where key attributes can successfully be transferred from NUFC to the sponsor brand. Obviously, the Newcastle Brown Ale sponsorship was so iconic (and valuable to both NUFC and Brown Ale) because it fitted so well with the NUFC brand - namely through its strong and proud local roots, history etc.

The problem is that sponsoring brands don't seek to appeal to the local market any more (i.e. us lot), but rather the large international market. Internationally, Newcastle United is a much more poorly defined brand than it is here - there is less recognition of our fan base and less knowledge of our history, which rather puts us in a lower bracket in terms of distinction, and thus the prime benefit for sponsors is exposure. The big clubs - Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and Spurs - have much better defined brands but most of the rest of the Premier League is relatively homogenous, I fear ourselves included.

TL;DR: it's going to be Gazprom
I had the first custom w***

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Llorente to Chelsea <scratch>

They've also recalled Ake from Bournemouth even though Cahill, Dave, Luiz, Ivanovic and Zouma will all be ahead of him in the pecking order. Although I think he wants to be a DM long term so replacement for Mikel who's off to China.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Speedo wrote:TL;DR: it's going to be Gazprom
Sauce?

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:58 pm

TBC wrote:
Speedo wrote:TL;DR: it's going to be Gazprom
Sauce?
It was a joke - but it will likely be some massive company you've never heard of based in Russia or East Asia a la Gazprom <ok>
I had the first custom w***

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Russianbrides.com would do me
# stolen from nufc.com :)

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:37 pm

Toondes wrote:Russianbrides.com would do me
If you had a bag over your head.
Kindly deeds done for free!