Celestron Astromaster

Re: Computer Workshop

Post by asbo » Mon May 08, 2017 10:58 pm

I've only f***ing done it <divadance>
biggeordiedave wrote:
asbo wrote:
<neg> <cry> <cry> <neg> <cry> I f***ing hate IT. <wah>
<laugh>

I'd actually love to learn this sort of stuff. I really want to go into development <neg>.
I quite like HTML, CSS and Javascript, but it's just taken me all day to just install the PHP, Apache and MySQL on my laptop. Something I was expecting to take about ten minutes.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon May 08, 2017 11:18 pm

If only golasambi was still posting I bet he could give you alll sorts of expert advice.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue May 09, 2017 9:11 am

asbo wrote:I've only f***ing done it <divadance>
biggeordiedave wrote:
<laugh>

I'd actually love to learn this sort of stuff. I really want to go into development <neg>.
I quite like HTML, CSS and Javascript, but it's just taken me all day to just install the PHP, Apache and MySQL on my laptop. Something I was expecting to take about ten minutes.
I remember it taking an age as well when I had the PHP, Apache and MySQL set up running on my machine and it made it dog slow. I spoke with a sys admin at work who recommended that I create a virtual machine and run the environment from there.

The install was much faster and it no longer affects my physical machine.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed May 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Thinking of moving cookforcrowds over to squarespace.

Whilst I enjoyed building it all from scratch, not having a form of CMS now is so time consuming to implement changes.

I reckon I can migrate the whole site in a weekend rather than the 3 or 4 weekends needed to implement wide ranging changes like site structure, search and comments.

Anyone used them before?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:14 pm

Calling on all tech geeks...

My family have recently changed ISP to Sky Broadband, and since then I can't connect to Xbox Live. I keep getting an error message saying "Can't connect to your DHCP server". I connect via an Ethernet cable as the modem is upstairs, and although we have an extender the signal strength is too weak to do anything on Xbox. The Xbox registers the Ethernet cable, but it doesn't show any NAT info. I've been in contact with both Xbox support and Sky - I've gone through numerous things with them both including resetting the router, changing IP settings, resetting the Xbox, new Ethernet cables etc. and still no joy.

Xbox support tell me the problem is the router, Sky say that it's either a problem with Ethernet cables or faulty ports on the modem. I've tried a different Ethernet cable so it's not that, and everyone else in the house can use the internet on the TV, their phones, tablets etc - it's just my Xbox that doesn't work. I'm gonna ask a friend to bring his Xbox round to see if we can connect with his in the meantime, but honestly- I'm tapped out. Anyone got any ideas?

I've looked on Google and saw that it's not just me who's had this problem, but I've tried everything they've done and still no joy.

Any help/suggestions will be much appreciated.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:29 pm

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:46 pm

overseasTOON wrote:Have you tried turning it off and on again?
t*** <laugh>

Do not toy with a man's emotions like that.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Chappy wrote:Calling on all tech geeks...

My family have recently changed ISP to Sky Broadband, and since then I can't connect to Xbox Live. I keep getting an error message saying "Can't connect to your DHCP server". I connect via an Ethernet cable as the modem is upstairs, and although we have an extender the signal strength is too weak to do anything on Xbox. The Xbox registers the Ethernet cable, but it doesn't show any NAT info. I've been in contact with both Xbox support and Sky - I've gone through numerous things with them both including resetting the router, changing IP settings, resetting the Xbox, new Ethernet cables etc. and still no joy.

Xbox support tell me the problem is the router, Sky say that it's either a problem with Ethernet cables or faulty ports on the modem. I've tried a different Ethernet cable so it's not that, and everyone else in the house can use the internet on the TV, their phones, tablets etc - it's just my Xbox that doesn't work. I'm gonna ask a friend to bring his Xbox round to see if we can connect with his in the meantime, but honestly- I'm tapped out. Anyone got any ideas?

I've looked on Google and saw that it's not just me who's had this problem, but I've tried everything they've done and still no joy.

I'm assuming you're using a Powerline adapter or similar. Have you tried connecting anything else to it and seeing if it works? Also, have you tried connecting to different ports on the router?
Kindly deeds done for free!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:40 pm

This issue may be that sky broadband is f***ing awful <laugh>

Definitely changing when my contract is up.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:31 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Chappy wrote:Calling on all tech geeks...

I'm assuming you're using a Powerline adapter or similar. Have you tried connecting anything else to it and seeing if it works? Also, have you tried connecting to different ports on the router?
Ethernet cable is plugged into the wall from the router. Gonna try my Dad's laptop in a sec. I read something about cat7 ethernet cables that someone used them and it worked. I haven't got a f***ing clue about this stuff though so don't know what makes a cat7 ethernet cable different from your bog standard one...

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:37 pm

Chappy wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:
Ethernet cable is plugged into the wall from the router. Gonna try my Dad's laptop in a sec. I read something about cat7 ethernet cables that someone used them and it worked. I haven't got a f***ing clue about this stuff though so don't know what makes a cat7 ethernet cable different from your bog standard one...
The difference is probably just the speed and bandwidth it can cope with and the signal attenuation. I can't imagine there's any reason why a cat 5 cable wouldn't work with your broadband and Xbox. The lad I work with that would be able to solve this in seconds is off all next week unfortunately! If you're still having issues I'll ask him when he's back <ok>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:12 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Chappy wrote:
The difference is probably just the speed and bandwidth it can cope with and the signal attenuation. I can't imagine there's any reason why a cat 5 cable wouldn't work with your broadband and Xbox. The lad I work with that would be able to solve this in seconds is off all next week unfortunately! If you're still having issues I'll ask him when he's back <ok>.
I've fixed it! Basically the ethernet settings were set to "Gigabyte ethernet" but the cables I've got weren't able to run with those settings... changed it back to fast ethernet and it worked! Boom!