January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

Post a reply


This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.

BBCode is ON
[img] is OFF
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are OFF

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Remember Colo » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:21 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:20 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:31 pm

Agreed. For that reason I almost hope they have different goals for success when it comes to the club. As City has shown, they've developed an incredible academy, but when you're competing for the league title and disappointing in the CL, it's hard to actually lean on the promotion of academy players to get you over the top.
I love the idea of just building an identity. I think city do rely on just throwing money at the best players still and I think it's the same with Man Utd, both of those will have wobbly moments that they generally try to buy their way out of.

As much as I hate to say it Liverpool have it cracked, the amount of youth players that have been coming through without compromising the first team is crazy, everyone from top to bottom knows their role throughout the club, so you have youth players who can just slot in seamlessly. That model will take a while to develop but I think it's the way forward, sustaining your own squad as much as you can then sell those who just don't quite fit for decent money, and selectively buy players based on the actual need of the team/club identity.
I think with City, Pep is such a strong manager they ultimately drill the identity into the players they bring in - but it can take some time. Overall I think they don't have the patience or at least confidence to rely on youth who may be able to do the job, and instead jump straight to buying the next expensive star. Obviously can't criticise the results, but they're certainly not leveraging the investment in their academy and some of the great youth talent they've attracted.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Bodacious Benny » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:43 pm

Yeah Liverpool’s spending is nothing like man c and Man U, they buy/sell really well usually.

Watching Arsenal v Leeds and would definitely take Holding in Jan. We were linked last summer, he had a good end to last season but out of the team now they have White. Good defender and comfortable on the ball and carrying it out of defence. Easily better than Lascelles IMO.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Don Sholeone » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:20 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:31 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:28 pm


If we could emulate the Ajax system that would be phenomenal. I hope the owners aims for the academy are as high as the first team. I'm probably just as excited by the prospect of having the best academy not only in England but potentially the world.
Agreed. For that reason I almost hope they have different goals for success when it comes to the club. As City has shown, they've developed an incredible academy, but when you're competing for the league title and disappointing in the CL, it's hard to actually lean on the promotion of academy players to get you over the top.
I love the idea of just building an identity. I think city do rely on just throwing money at the best players still and I think it's the same with Man Utd, both of those will have wobbly moments that they generally try to buy their way out of.

As much as I hate to say it Liverpool have it cracked, the amount of youth players that have been coming through without compromising the first team is crazy, everyone from top to bottom knows their role throughout the club, so you have youth players who can just slot in seamlessly. That model will take a while to develop but I think it's the way forward, sustaining your own squad as much as you can then sell those who just don't quite fit for decent money, and selectively buy players based on the actual need of the team/club identity.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Remember Colo » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:31 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:28 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:58 pm

I like the idea of a Dutch invasion. At least there'd be a clear vision for our football.
If we could emulate the Ajax system that would be phenomenal. I hope the owners aims for the academy are as high as the first team. I'm probably just as excited by the prospect of having the best academy not only in England but potentially the world.
Agreed. For that reason I almost hope they have different goals for success when it comes to the club. As City has shown, they've developed an incredible academy, but when you're competing for the league title and disappointing in the CL, it's hard to actually lean on the promotion of academy players to get you over the top.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Don Sholeone » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:28 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:58 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:50 pm
I remember when the bid first kicked off a year ago there was so much talk of van de Beek being one of the players they already had shortlisted so wouldn't be shocked to see us going for him. Seems desperate to leave Man Utd now.

Also the petty side of me wants us to get Ten Hag as manager and have van de Beek sign just to piss off all the Man Utd fans. <laugh>
I like the idea of a Dutch invasion. At least there'd be a clear vision for our football.
If we could emulate the Ajax system that would be phenomenal. I hope the owners aims for the academy are as high as the first team. I'm probably just as excited by the prospect of having the best academy not only in England but potentially the world.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Remember Colo » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:58 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:50 pm
I remember when the bid first kicked off a year ago there was so much talk of van de Beek being one of the players they already had shortlisted so wouldn't be shocked to see us going for him. Seems desperate to leave Man Utd now.

Also the petty side of me wants us to get Ten Hag as manager and have van de Beek sign just to piss off all the Man Utd fans. <laugh>
I like the idea of a Dutch invasion. At least there'd be a clear vision for our football.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Don Sholeone » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:50 pm

I remember when the bid first kicked off a year ago there was so much talk of van de Beek being one of the players they already had shortlisted so wouldn't be shocked to see us going for him. Seems desperate to leave Man Utd now.

Also the petty side of me wants us to get Ten Hag as manager and have van de Beek sign just to piss off all the Man Utd fans. <laugh>

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Remember Colo » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:39 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:33 pm
GRB wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:02 pm
Linked with a Marvelous Nakamba. Oh the puns
I'll take John McGin or Douglas Luiz though.. but yh Nakamba anit really inspiring.. is he even any better than what we have? <scratch>

We need a Aaron Ramsey, a Frank Kessie, a Renanto Sanches, James Ward-Prowse, Donny Van De Beek or Adrien Rabiot. Technically gifted, mobile & elegant box-to-box central midfielders who have pedigree & experience.
Elegant CMs <awe> <love>

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Bodacious Benny » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:46 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:33 pm
GRB wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:02 pm
Linked with a Marvelous Nakamba. Oh the puns
I'll take John McGin or Douglas Luiz though.. but yh Nakamba anit really inspiring.. is he even any better than what we have? <scratch>

We need a Aaron Ramsey, a Frank Kessie, a Renanto Sanches, James Ward-Prowse, Donny Van De Beek or Adrien Rabiot. Technically gifted, mobile & elegant box-to-box central midfielders who have pedigree & experience.
Agreed. McGinn for sure but can't see it happening. Douglas Luiz is a good DM but really we need someone better on the ball and able to pick a pass. Nakamba is s*** <laugh>

I don't think that Ramsey, JWP (thought Southampton may not sell to a relegation rival) and Van De Beek are unrealistic.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Sanchino » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:33 pm

GRB wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:02 pm
Linked with a Marvelous Nakamba. Oh the puns
I'll take John McGin or Douglas Luiz though.. but yh Nakamba anit really inspiring.. is he even any better than what we have? <scratch>

We need a Aaron Ramsey, a Frank Kessie, a Renanto Sanches, James Ward-Prowse, Donny Van De Beek or Adrien Rabiot. Technically gifted, mobile & elegant box-to-box central midfielders who have pedigree & experience.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Bodacious Benny » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:57 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:51 pm
Considering we don't have a DOF, or manager, any rumoured player is just a product of an agent promoting their client or journalists creating content.
“Hi Graeme, I’ve got a really s*** midfielder who can’t get a game for Villa. You interested?”

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Remember Colo » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:51 pm

Considering we don't have a DOF, or manager, any rumoured player is just a product of an agent promoting their client or journalists creating content.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Bodacious Benny » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:36 pm

GRB wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:02 pm
Linked with a Marvelous Nakamba. Oh the puns
I wouldn’t want him pre-takeover <laugh>

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Remember Colo » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:09 pm

GRB wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:02 pm
Linked with a Marvelous Nakamba. Oh the puns
Whatever happened to Ferguson anyway?

Edit: Looked it up, and played for Millwall the 5 years after his time ended with us, and now at Rotherham.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by GRB » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:02 pm

Linked with a Marvelous Nakamba. Oh the puns

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Donkey Toon » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:29 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:26 pm
Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:24 am


Exactly the right term, anti-competition. It will never be allowed to happen - but would never officially happen, at any rate. the important thing is what DS said above, if they accepted lesser offers from other clubs. That's the case where it would come into effect. Less or equal would be the important term. Completely metaphorical example, say we had a 40m bid for Dominic Calvin-Lewin rejected by Everton, but they accepted a 40m bid from Wolves, what reason could be given for that? Yeah could reject a bid from Liverpool, that would make sense. We've no established rivals in the league at the minute, there is no reason other than competitive for a team to reject doing business. And again, as Don Shola said, teams would back themselves into a corner if they won't sell to us - as legally speaking they couldn't sell to other premier league sides without a substantial price difference. And the prem is most likely going to be the place with the highest transfer offers. As others of said, in terms of our incoming transfer dealings, always foreign markets.

Doubt PSG will do us any favours, like.
Isn't that the entire issue with the transfer system though? That it's all so arbitrary to begin with? There's no obligation for any club to sell their players, just as there's no limit to how much clubs can pay for a player. I really can't see any legal ground by which a club has to sell to the highest bidder - there are plenty of existing examples in which they didn't - whether it was because of player negotiations, clauses or schedule of payments. And besides, I wouldn't want us to have to force clubs' hands in the market that way anyway. I think there are plenty of continental clubs who need money right now and can't turn down market-priced offers - but I don't see any PL clubs who will be facing that plight or can't find a second English club that would match a reasonable offer.
Yeah there is no legal requirement to sell to anybody. Seller has absolute control over who they sell to and they don't have to give a reason for their choice. Even if they do give a reason they can give whatever reason they like; won't sell to a team in same league, won't sell to a relegation rival, your team smells funny, your owner smells funny, or even I just don't like you.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Remember Colo » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:26 pm

Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:24 am
biggeordiedave wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:27 pm


I agree, I think there would be some anti-competition stuff going on there. No club is going to turn down money at the end of the day. They'd sell players to Pyongyang Albion if they stumped up the right amount of cash. They will assume Newcastle have unlimited supplies of money too, so will just add an extra 50% onto the cost.
Exactly the right term, anti-competition. It will never be allowed to happen - but would never officially happen, at any rate. the important thing is what DS said above, if they accepted lesser offers from other clubs. That's the case where it would come into effect. Less or equal would be the important term. Completely metaphorical example, say we had a 40m bid for Dominic Calvin-Lewin rejected by Everton, but they accepted a 40m bid from Wolves, what reason could be given for that? Yeah could reject a bid from Liverpool, that would make sense. We've no established rivals in the league at the minute, there is no reason other than competitive for a team to reject doing business. And again, as Don Shola said, teams would back themselves into a corner if they won't sell to us - as legally speaking they couldn't sell to other premier league sides without a substantial price difference. And the prem is most likely going to be the place with the highest transfer offers. As others of said, in terms of our incoming transfer dealings, always foreign markets.

Doubt PSG will do us any favours, like.
Isn't that the entire issue with the transfer system though? That it's all so arbitrary to begin with? There's no obligation for any club to sell their players, just as there's no limit to how much clubs can pay for a player. I really can't see any legal ground by which a club has to sell to the highest bidder - there are plenty of existing examples in which they didn't - whether it was because of player negotiations, clauses or schedule of payments. And besides, I wouldn't want us to have to force clubs' hands in the market that way anyway. I think there are plenty of continental clubs who need money right now and can't turn down market-priced offers - but I don't see any PL clubs who will be facing that plight or can't find a second English club that would match a reasonable offer.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Bodacious Benny » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:06 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:54 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:46 am
Yeah, the irony of it all! It's basically a blank cheque to all intents and purposes. Hopefully we stay up <laugh>
The fact it can be applied immediately means we could just go mental in January if we are in some real genuine danger. I know we won't go silly with it but we can potentially "buy" ourselves out of the situation if it comes to it.
Tbh I think our only option is to buy ourselves out of it. The only games I can really see us winning before Jan is Norwich and Burnley at home, Brentford maybe, so it's almost certain we'll still be in the bottom 3 by then IMO.

As you say I don't think we'll go silly, but we'll certainly buy 3 or 4 PL quality players I think, maybe even someone like Ramsey on loan from Juventus isn't entirely unrealistic as it seems nobody else wants to pay his wages.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Don Sholeone » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:54 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:46 am
Yeah, the irony of it all! It's basically a blank cheque to all intents and purposes. Hopefully we stay up <laugh>
The fact it can be applied immediately means we could just go mental in January if we are in some real genuine danger. I know we won't go silly with it but we can potentially "buy" ourselves out of the situation if it comes to it.

Re: January Transfer Rumours/Wishlist 21/22

by Bodacious Benny » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:46 am

Yeah, the irony of it all! It's basically a blank cheque to all intents and purposes. Hopefully we stay up <laugh>

Top