Computer Workshop

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Re: Computer Workshop

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Not a workshop issue so much as just needing some advice.

My Sony Vaio is starting to play up - had to do a repair recovery on it today and it is still as sluggish as hell. So i'm looking to replace.

The Sony has a Core i3 processor and struggles with some of the games I like to play, i.e. Hearts of Iron IV and Stellaris and won't load Tropico 5 or Galactic Civilizations III. So I want something that will cope with those sort of games but won't cost a fortune. I don't need a full on gaming laptop because if I want to play shooters etc I have a PS4. I just want something that can handle the newer strategy games.

I have concluded that most of the gaming laptops have Core i7 or AMD10 and mostly 16GB of RAM (some of the cheaper seem to have only 8GB). But I want to avoid paying more than I need to as I have a gut feeling I don't really need that sort of spec.

So the question is - Will Core i5 or AMD8 and 8GB of RAM be enough for my purposes?

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:59 pm

Cal wrote:
Leben Das Ernste Leben wrote:
Not that I can see, only offers to send a verification code to a back up email or you can fill out a questionnaire but the stuff on there is 'who have you last sent an email to' and 'what was the topic of that email' and the last time I sent an email on that account was in January. I know the person I sent it to but not the exact name of the email. They've essentially said I can't try that any more too because I couldn't give enough information on the times I did it so I'm abandoning this email account really but was wondering if there's a way of forwarding the emails or changing the email associated with accounts on Facebook, Twitter, here etc.
You've just got to dig through the settings/account pages, although I'd imagine a lot of them will send a verification email to the address you're switching from. Could you maybe get in touch with your uni to see if they can temporarily revive your email account?

If you need to switch on here, try this page http://www.toonforum.co.uk/ucp.php?i=uc ... eg_details, if it needs a verification email PM me and I'll switch it from my end.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=a ... email&view
Twitter - https://twitter.com/settings/account
Cheers! <ok> Will get onto my uni and see if they can reactivate it for a week or something so I can try and get it verified and if not then I'll give the other stuff a go.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:20 pm

suggestions for a new laptop? Could really do with one (sub £500)

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:25 pm

also, windows 10 or windows 7?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:26 pm

I like windows 10 now.

It took a while but its finally stable.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:02 pm

want

el héroe
Worst Santa Ever
Worst Santa Ever

Post by el héroe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:Not a workshop issue so much as just needing some advice.

My Sony Vaio is starting to play up - had to do a repair recovery on it today and it is still as sluggish as hell. So i'm looking to replace.

The Sony has a Core i3 processor and struggles with some of the games I like to play, i.e. Hearts of Iron IV and Stellaris and won't load Tropico 5 or Galactic Civilizations III. So I want something that will cope with those sort of games but won't cost a fortune. I don't need a full on gaming laptop because if I want to play shooters etc I have a PS4. I just want something that can handle the newer strategy games.

I have concluded that most of the gaming laptops have Core i7 or AMD10 and mostly 16GB of RAM (some of the cheaper seem to have only 8GB). But I want to avoid paying more than I need to as I have a gut feeling I don't really need that sort of spec.

So the question is - Will Core i5 or AMD8 and 8GB of RAM be enough for my purposes?
An i5 processor and 8gb of memory will happily play the majority of games with ease <applause>
'I WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE'

el héroe
Worst Santa Ever
Worst Santa Ever

Post by el héroe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:20 pm

overseasTOON wrote:I like windows 10 now.

Will always be garbage for a desktop. Majority of large businesses wont buy it. So when 2020 gets closer look out for an OS named Windows Reborn <fist>
'I WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE'

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:20 am

el héroe wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:I like windows 10 now.

Will always be garbage for a desktop. Majority of large businesses wont buy it. So when 2020 gets closer look out for an OS named Windows Reborn <fist>
I only use it on a Desktop and I like it. I can find things the old Windows way but some of the new tools make it easier. and it's faster than previous version...
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:44 pm

el héroe wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:Not a workshop issue so much as just needing some advice.

An i5 processor and 8gb of memory will happily play the majority of games with ease <applause>
Thanks for the advice. <cheers>

As it happens I searched and searched online and eventually found an ASUS with AMD10 and 8GB for just £288 with the VAT knocked off, so I went with that. Easily handles all the games I want to play. Seems to be a pretty decent bit of kit for the price.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:55 am

Uh.. is it just me or is putting the fan vent on the underside of the laptop a bit of a stupid idea?
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:48 pm

I want Zurcher geschnetzeltes too wrote:Uh.. is it just me or is putting the fan vent on the underside of the laptop a bit of a stupid idea?
Don't use it naked.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:54 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
el héroe wrote:
Thanks for the advice. <cheers>

As it happens I searched and searched online and eventually found an ASUS with AMD10 and 8GB for just £288 with the VAT knocked off, so I went with that. Easily handles all the games I want to play. Seems to be a pretty decent bit of kit for the price.
Ignore sorted myself a canny deal
Last edited by Blue & Maroon on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:10 pm

The wife finally got me get rid of a lot of old tech stuff that's been sitting in my man cave.

Two desktop PCs, 5 laptops, 4 tablets and an old NAS drive as well as an old PS3 and one of the first wireless hi-fi systems.

Also getting rid of one special monitor with a touch screen I built myself and the server I had them set up with. I built a touchscreen jukebox back in 2000 and built the interface in Flash and had to create an xml socket plugin as Macromedia didn't support the technology to call the database and return packet data and then worked with a mate to build a 3D engine to scroll the music library.

We gave the technology to Macromedia in return for free upgrades.

Just scrapped a bit of IT history :(

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:45 pm

<rose>
I dunno

golasambi
Pope's Goalposts

Post by golasambi » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:35 pm

Mifune wrote:

want
gt this n it runs like a dream m8. absolute heaven. needit 4 work like bt its worth the price u pay deffo

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:23 pm

golasambi wrote:
Mifune wrote:

want
gt this n it runs like a dream m8. absolute heaven. needit 4 work like bt its worth the price u pay deffo
Did you manage to get a prototype?
Kindly deeds done for free!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:38 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
golasambi wrote:
Did you manage to get a prototype?

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Fair play <notbad>

<wenger>
I dunno

golasambi
Pope's Goalposts