Pavel's eBar

What to do with empty filing cabinet in office?

Keep it, just in case.
11%
Remove it.
No votes
Shoot it.
11%
Fill with booze.
46%
Turn into modern art.
11%
Sell it to Ashley as our new star striker in exchange for a big mug and £5 SD voucher.
22%

Total votes: 37

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: Pavel's eBar

Post by Cal » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:35 pm

We had always said that we'd like to work abroad for a few years, with Canada or Oz as the dream destinations - it's an entirely scarier proposition now that I can sign a piece of paper to make it real.

I'm leaning that way, but there's a lot of stress between being here and being there; need to sell the house, we've a young dog that we'd want to bring with us (7 month process...), etc. I'm not sure how viable an option kids would be over there before permanent residency (req. 4 years on temporary visa), another one for the research pile. On the positive side, if it all goes to s*** the sponsor has to pay our way back home <diva>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:29 pm

Sounds like a great opportunity. Havings kids on a visa shouldn't be too big a thing.

What I would say to consider is, how close are you both to your families? Long haul with kids is hard. And I know from experience having grandparents far away can be difficult.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:30 pm

Would renting your house out be an option or do you need the money out of it? I presume if it’s a project based role it’s a fixed term contract so although it’s a big move potentially, it’s not a closed door to coming back to the U.K. in future?

If I was in your current position I’d go. If I had kids there’s no way I’d go as I’d want them to be around family.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:27 pm

I've spent a large chunk of my life living and working abroad and loved it. I know that if I hadn't have grabbed the opportunity; it would have been one of my biggest regrets in life.

The main reason we've resorted to remaining in the UK for so long was because of miniOT but she'll be off to uni in about 3 years time and then I'm 100% looking to live and work abroad again.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:01 am

Hate to break it to you, but soon miniOT will just become OT and you have to become OTSenior
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:30 am

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:01 am
Hate to break it to you, but soon miniOT will just become OT and you have to become OTSenior
OTS sounds like a degenerative disease <wah>

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:38 pm

The more closely I looked at the Australian offer and what the next 5 or so years would look like down that path, the more holes that appeared in the plan - lots of statutory minimums in the contract, so if they could give me less, they very well would, plus their parent company isn't exactly the most trustworthy. As people have latched onto, we're probably looking at kids in the next few years, Australia offered zero paid paternity (but you could take unpaid leave!), and UK job offered 50 days full pay... Looks like I'll be continuing the WFH lifestyle permanently at a job with lots of niceties and a healthy work-life approach.
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:30 pm
Would renting your house out be an option or do you need the money out of it? I presume if it’s a project based role it’s a fixed term contract so although it’s a big move potentially, it’s not a closed door to coming back to the U.K. in future?

If I was in your current position I’d go. If I had kids there’s no way I’d go as I’d want them to be around family.
Had that thought, but you're one bad tenant away from a lot of stress and loss of value. If I was going that way, I'd rather cash in and invest in something that matched my risk appetite.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:28 pm

Fair, there’s no right or wrong answer, just what’s best for you and your mrs long term and sounds like you’re thinking about all the pros and cons <ok>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:16 pm

yeh true, best do wat's best for ur family. workin abroad is great tho gotta say bt thats just me

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:16 pm

Back to the more important issue of my home wifi booster, ended up getting a Tenda nova ac1200 whole home mesh wifi system.

£59.99 in currys and full wifi signal in every room.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:36 am

Everyone should get double jabbed (obviously) and this isn't meant to be a scare story but sweet f*** had my 2nd Moderna yesterday and everything hurts! <laugh> had the chills when I woke up too.

Knew I should have had it a day before I was at work <urgh>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:15 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:36 am
Everyone should get double jabbed (obviously) and this isn't meant to be a scare story but sweet **** had my 2nd Moderna yesterday and everything hurts! <laugh> had the chills when I woke up too.

I had my second one in May, felt fine. I had Pfeizer. Just one of those things where some people have some side effects and some don't. You'll be right as rain in a day or so <gent>

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:03 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:15 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:36 am
Everyone should get double jabbed (obviously) and this isn't meant to be a scare story but sweet **** had my 2nd Moderna yesterday and everything hurts! <laugh> had the chills when I woke up too.

I had my second one in May, felt fine. I had Pfeizer. Just one of those things where some people have some side effects and some don't. You'll be right as rain in a day or so <gent>
Yeah the mrs had hers Sunday and just got worse and worse yesterday but a good nights sleep and shes completely sorted.

It's weird how people react, I was fine after the 1st .

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:46 pm

Yeah quite a few people seem to find the second one gives more side effects, wonder how people will get on with the inevitable 'top up' booster at some point!

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:47 pm

I've had a double dose of the Astra Zeneca and had no problems whatsoever. Being immuno-compromised I was concerned I might have issues, but was all good.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:59 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:47 pm
I've had a double dose of the Astra Zeneca and had no problems whatsoever. Being immuno-compromised I was concerned I might have issues, but was all good.
Apparently side effects are most common in healthy 18-40 year olds as the immune system reacts more strongly.

Good to hear you're all jabbed up DT, it's been awful for everyone but must have been doubly stressful for you.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:22 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:59 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:47 pm
Apparently side effects are most common in healthy 18-40 year olds as the immune system reacts more strongly.

Good to hear you're all jabbed up DT, it's been awful for everyone but must have been doubly stressful for you.
Cheers! <cheers> Luckily Guernsey has handled the pandemic really well so I was probably in about the best place I could be to mitigate any concerns, but yeah it is a great weight off my mind to be fully jabbed.

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:48 am

glad 2 hear it m8

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:21 pm

Had my second Pfizer last week. Felt tired on the day and had a dead arm for about 3 days afterwards but that's all. Similar to when I had my first jab although the dead arm only lasted about 24 hours then.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:32 pm

Oh yeah, same with the dead arm but okay other than that.