overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: The Cooking/Baking Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:07 pm

PTAO wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Nice! Do you remember the name?
Looked it up just for you. Archipelago near Goodge Street.

They didn't have enough insects on the menu for us so they made us some extra dishes. The alpaca and plantain are really good as a meat dish too if you go.
Goodge street area is a great place to find new cuisines to eat.

I had an old section chef from Paris stay with me and my wife who told me to impress him with food in London. We worked together at the Ritz and he went off and did the George V and Roubichon while I went back to blighty.

My wife was bricking it about the cost of Michelin restaurants but we went around that area and ate some very eclectic dishes from various popup places and he was shocked at the diversity of food available.

By the end of the night he said the best place for food in Europe was London.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:59 am

overseasTOON wrote:
PTAO wrote:
Looked it up just for you. Archipelago near Goodge Street.

They didn't have enough insects on the menu for us so they made us some extra dishes. The alpaca and plantain are really good as a meat dish too if you go.
Goodge street area is a great place to find new cuisines to eat.

I had an old section chef from Paris stay with me and my wife who told me to impress him with food in London. We worked together at the Ritz and he went off and did the George V and Roubichon while I went back to blighty.

My wife was bricking it about the cost of Michelin restaurants but we went around that area and ate some very eclectic dishes from various popup places and he was shocked at the diversity of food available.

By the end of the night he said the best place for food in Europe was London.
Yes! I used to work very close to Goodge St, the food round there is so good. Charlotte St being the pinnacle. My favourite at the moment is House of Ho (I think that's the name of it) just on the end next to the newsagent. Sooo good.
I had the first custom w***

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:47 am

Icco is the best place on Goodge St <awe>.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:52 pm

I'm going back to the classics this weekend and am cooking a dish from Escoffier but trying to redo it for modern tastes and on a budget.

First up is Poullet Albufera but instead of using foie gras I'm using a chicken liver pate as its cheaper and less controversial.

Essentially the chicken is poached and then stuffed with rice before finishing off in the oven.

The sauce uses mushrooms and chicken, cooked in a chicken stock and then loads of cream and reduced. Then the chicken veloute is added to a roux and finished off with the pate and Madeira.

I last cooked this dish about 20 years ago for a banquet when I worked in Paris and it was to celebrate the greatness of French cuisine.

One of the people who ate it was Jacques Chirac, the president of France at the time and he told me it was worthy of a medal of honour!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:45 am

I'm going to play with pumpkins today.

Roasted pumpkin soup served with garlic mushrooms and toasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin and pancetta risotto and a spiced pumpkin cheesecake.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:47 am

overseasTOON wrote:I'm going to play with pumpkins today.

Roasted pumpkin soup served with garlic mushrooms and toasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin and pancetta risotto and a spiced pumpkin cheesecake.
<puke>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:58 am

Pumpkin is rank. As are mushrooms.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:34 am

Garlic mushrooms could talk me down from a ledge tbh. Out of this world delicious. Pumpkin's nice too; tastes pretty much exactly like butternut squash which also rules.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:09 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:Pumpkin is rank. As are mushrooms.
I know lots of people who don't like mushrooms and generally it seems to be the texture of them rather than the actual taste.

I do a creamy mushroom sauce which they've all enjoyed as its just the flavour of the mushrooms as it's double reduced in wine and chicken stock, blitzed and passed through a sieve before the cream is added.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:50 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Pumpkin is rank. As are mushrooms.
I know lots of people who don't like mushrooms and generally it seems to be the texture of them rather than the actual taste.

I do a creamy mushroom sauce which they've all enjoyed as its just the flavour of the mushrooms as it's double reduced in wine and chicken stock, blitzed and passed through a sieve before the cream is added.
Is this roasted pumpkin soup you're making the same one that's on your website? (It's in my recipe notebook now, and I've been meaning to make it this autumn).

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Mushrooms are lush, love them in any form, soup, garlic, stuffed with crab, in a pie, with a full English or by themselves.

Pumpkin ok as well. Mates mum used to make a great pumpkin pie.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:13 pm

skalpel wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:

Is this roasted pumpkin soup you're making the same one that's on your website? (It's in my recipe notebook now, and I've been meaning to make it this autumn).
Yep. Same one.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:Mushrooms are lush, love them in any form, soup, garlic, stuffed with crab, in a pie, with a full English or by themselves.

Pumpkin ok as well. Mates mum used to make a great pumpkin pie.
The secret to make a great pumpkin pie is to make your own puree. Shop bought is full of crap to give it a 3 year shelf life.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Usually make chilli on a Sunday, added some cumin in this week and it worked an absolute treat.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:59 am

Made pumpkin spice cheesecake for my wife's birthday, it didn't kill anyone!

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:06 am

I've got 800g of unsmoked and 400g of smoked haddock, any suggestions of how to make a decent fish pie out of it?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:43 am

Hjl wrote:Made pumpkin spice cheesecake for my wife's birthday, it didn't kill anyone!
I lie. Most of the house now have food poisoning....

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:37 am

Made a mango hot sauce the other day which goes well with eggs.

Got bored a few days later and used the rest of the sauce to make a fish curry with basa by adding coconut milk (and spices and some veg) :).
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:51 am

beatski wrote:I've got 800g of unsmoked and 400g of smoked haddock, any suggestions of how to make a decent fish pie out of it?
Poach the smoked and unsmoked fish in milk for a few minutes and then remove the fish.

Make a roux with butter and flour and then add the milk the fish was poached in to make a thick creamy sauce. Add a dollop of mustard, handful of chopped parsley, a squeeze of lemon and season to taste.

Flake the fish into the sauce and add capers, chopped hard boiled eggs and if you have prawns etc; lob them in as well.

Put the fish sauce into a buttered oven proof dish and cover with cheesy mash potatoes

Bake in the oven @160 for about 20 minutes.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:03 am

overseasTOON wrote:
beatski wrote:I've got 800g of unsmoked and 400g of smoked haddock, any suggestions of how to make a decent fish pie out of it?
Poach the smoked and unsmoked fish in milk for a few minutes and then remove the fish.

Make a roux with butter and flour and then add the milk the fish was poached in to make a thick creamy sauce. Add a dollop of mustard, handful of chopped parsley, a squeeze of lemon and season to taste.

Flake the fish into the sauce and add capers, chopped hard boiled eggs and if you have prawns etc; lob them in as well.

Put the fish sauce into a buttered oven proof dish and cover with cheesy mash potatoes

Bake in the oven @160 for about 20 minutes.
This!, this is EXACTLY what i was going to say :bandit: