The Cooking/Baking Thread

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: The Cooking/Baking Thread

Post by Hjl » Tue May 14, 2019 1:42 am

Got a smoker and have been smoking my Sunday dinners.

Deliciousness.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:05 pm

My sister was diagnosed with MS earlier this year and she and her husband have opted to go vegan as it appears it has health benefits (not actually proven as most people don't stay on the dietary change for long enough).

I've been looking into vegan dishes for a few months now and trying to create a range of new dishes. The substitutes are bloody weird; use the water from a tin of chickpeas to make a meringue, but it does actually work!

I'm going to create a new section on cookforcrowds.com for vegans and then run through existing dishes to recommend changes to make either veggie or vegan.

Anyone have some tips for vegan dishes?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:29 pm

I do a chickpea and spinach curry using coconut milk that’s vegan but it’s only a recipe that I found online so not sure if it’s of interest?
Last edited by bodacious benny on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:49 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:05 pm
My sister was diagnosed with MS earlier this year and she and her husband have opted to go vegan as it appears it has health benefits (not actually proven as most people don't stay on the dietary change for long enough).

I've been looking into vegan dishes for a few months now and trying to create a range of new dishes. The substitutes are bloody weird; use the water from a tin of chickpeas to make a meringue, but it does actually work!

I'm going to create a new section on cookforcrowds.com for vegans and then run through existing dishes to recommend changes to make either veggie or vegan.

From my short time dating a vegan, and then having a roommate who was one, the worst dishes are when you try to make regular dishes with meat/dairy/egg substitute. I found the only ones I really enjoyed were regular meals that just happened to be vegan.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:53 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:49 pm
overseasTOON wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:05 pm

From my short time dating a vegan, and then having a roommate who was one, the worst dishes are when you try to make regular dishes with meat/dairy/egg substitute. I found the only ones I really enjoyed were regular meals that just happened to be vegan.
This. There's a whole world of terrific dals and stuff out there (I am very far from vegan or veggie but they're just delicious in their own right).
I had the first custom w***

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:35 pm

Tesco Extras (the big ones) stock Vegan Burgers called 'Beyond Meat Burgers'. They're £5.50 for two and that's just the patty so they're not cheap but once I had the extras in I honestly couldn't tell it wasn't beef. A nice option as a treat or whatever.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Not at the level of OT's culinary skills but made this in the past and made it again today home made pizza using 1 and a half cups of self raising flour and 1 cup of Greek yogurt for the base. Lovely <love>
SpoilerShow
mix and leave to raise for 15mins then roll out, the measurements makes roughly a 12 inch pizza base

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:12 pm

Tsi wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:26 pm
Not at the level of OT's culinary skills but made this in the past and made it again today home made pizza using 1 and a half cups of self raising flour and 1 cup of Greek yogurt for the base. Lovely <love>
SpoilerShow
mix and leave to raise for 15mins then roll out, the measurements makes roughly a 12 inch pizza base
Never thought of using yogurt as the wet ingredient for the pizza base. I'll give it a try.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:48 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:12 pm
Tsi wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:26 pm
SpoilerShow
Never thought of using yogurt as the wet ingredient for the pizza base. I'll give it a try.
I've seen a recipe for nan bread using yogurt as well but never tried that.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:45 pm

I've been making smokey beans on toast recently.

Just thinly chop a red onion and a pepper, fry gently for 10-12 mins, add in broad beans (or whatever kind of beans you want), smoked paprika, chilli flakes (or a bit of Cayenne pepper), seasoning (I've also added tuna chunks before which is nice) and simmer for 10 minutes - that's it. Serve it on toast with a bit of grated cheese. Cheap, easy, tasty and filling <ok>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:51 am

How come smokers aren't more popular in England?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:42 am

Hjl wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:51 am
I suppose that the main factors are time, effort and of course the weather which can be so changeable that you can't rely on 48 hours of good weather to smoke food.

Most people's idea of a BBQ in the UK is shop bought burgers and sausages. I've had people come to my BBQs who were stunned that I made my own burgers!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Even planning a BBQ more than a week (at best) in advance is risky business!

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Hjl wrote:
Given the density of our housing its gonna piss neighbours off to blow smoke at their windows for 24 hours on end. Also weather.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:59 pm
Hjl wrote:
Given the density of our housing its gonna piss neighbours off to blow smoke at their windows for 24 hours on end. Also weather.
I know the first person to complain to me about a smoker would be the cronut two doors down who burns plastic every week in his garden.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:03 pm

Getting into Japanese and Korean cooking lately, made some ramen and soba dishes, also had a crack at Gyoza. The Japanese stuff seems quite complex so far and the effort doesn't seem worth it imo. On the other hand I'm falling in love with Korean food, made some killer Korean fried chicken and had it with some Kim Chi that i have had fermenting for a few weeks, tonight I made a Korean seafood curry, which again was pretty phenomenal. Gojuchang is probably one of my new favourite ingredients.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:15 am

I've become an air fryer t***!
Kindly deeds done for free!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:08 am

I made a very nice Chicken Pie last night using a Hello Fresh recipe from when I got a few boxes last year.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:10 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:08 am
I made a very nice Chicken Pie last night using a Hello Fresh recipe from when I got a few boxes last year.
They have all their recipes on their site: https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/recipes I still go back to it now and again even though we haven't had a box for years now. We've still got all the old recipe cards in the cupboard too.

My favourite: https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/recipes/sa ... 416d5c9912
Kindly deeds done for free!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:13 am

Funnily enough I just ordered some hello fresh boxes, got an offer sent to me so have 6 meals on the way for a fiver.