The Cooking/Baking Thread

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: The Cooking/Baking Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Same tbf <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Southern fairy
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Southern fairy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:07 am

Hjl wrote:
Hjl wrote:Made pumpkin spice cheesecake for my wife's birthday, it didn't kill anyone!
I lie. Most of the house now have food poisoning....
Sorry but.. <laugh>
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

NathanEr
Tindall's Hoody

Post by NathanEr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:11 am

Turkish Chicken Kebab Recipe - extremely tasty and easy to make.

Ingredients (Serves 3)
500 g chicken breasts cut into cubes
1 tbsp canola oil

To prepare the marinade:
1 cup low fat yogurt
1 tbsp red vinegar
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 crushed garlic cloves
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red chili pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp mixed spices
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
Method:

Combine all marinade’s ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add the chicken cubes and stir until they are well coated.
Cover the bowl and marinate for 2 hours in the fridge.
Heat the oil in a deep pan. Add the chicken cubes with the marinade and cook for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is done and sauce thickens.
Serve hot with basmati rice. :) :) :) Enjoy!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:48 am

Sounds good <ok>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Southern fairy

Post by Southern fairy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:07 pm

Bake off final tonight! I'll probs be watching that over champs league to keep the missus happy
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:06 pm

Southern fairy wrote:Bake off final tonight! I'll probs be watching that over champs league to keep the missus happy
SpoilerShow
Best not tell her that Sophie wins.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Has anyone ever tried making their own Kimchi? (and by anyone I mean OT)
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:Has anyone ever tried making their own Kimchi? (and by anyone I mean OT)
I've made sauerkraut in the past which traditionally has a longer fermentation/storage time and will stink your house out.

The basics are similar though so it would seem to me to be fairly simple to make.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:13 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:Has anyone ever tried making their own Kimchi? (and by anyone I mean OT)
I've made sauerkraut in the past which traditionally has a longer fermentation/storage time and will stink your house out.

The basics are similar though so it would seem to me to be fairly simple to make.
Are you still homebrewing?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:40 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:

Are you still homebrewing?
I'm only making flavoured gins and liqueur now. I started running out if space for beers and ciders and the smell was really annoying my family <laugh>

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:30 pm

Making moules-frites tonight.

It's pretty simple I guess, but any tips? Was going to make my own chips but spent the morning reading about chip pan fires and decided oven fries would taste better anyway...

Using dry white wine, garlic, parsley, shallots and a bit of double cream at the end.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Bought some Halloumi the other day then realised I didn't know what to do with it, any suggestions?
REQUIEM

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Ramone wrote:Bought some Halloumi the other day then realised I didn't know what to do with it, any suggestions?
Halloumi is pretty versatile as a cheese and you can even marinate it. Occasionally I'll marinate it in oil and hot chilli sauce for an hour and then pan fry it a few minutes each side serve it on a bed of roasted vegetables with some pasta or lentils.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Seagull wrote:Making moules-frites tonight.

It's pretty simple I guess, but any tips? Was going to make my own chips but spent the morning reading about chip pan fires and decided oven fries would taste better anyway...

Using dry white wine, garlic, parsley, shallots and a bit of double cream at the end.
That's pretty much it really.

You can make a moules Normande with bacon, brandy, mushrooms and apple and it's lovely.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:15 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Seagull wrote:Making moules-frites tonight.

That's pretty much it really.

You can make a moules Normande with bacon, brandy, mushrooms and apple and it's lovely.

I will definitely give it a try for next time when I get the ingredients together! Cheers.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

NathanEr
Tindall's Hoody

Post by NathanEr » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:40 am

I tried today some amazing beef stew! man it's delicious! after fast food junk it is foodgasm!

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Hoping to cook some variation of a white fish, roasted carrots seasoned with cumin and a beetroot sauce.

Would this work?!

Tony Soprano

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:18 pm

Seagull wrote:Hoping to cook some variation of a white fish, roasted carrots seasoned with cumin and a beetroot sauce.

Would this work?!
White fish generally has a delicate flavour so something like a beetroot sauce would likely be overpowering.

Salmon would work better with a beetroot. You can marinade the salmon fillet in beetroot juice the night before and then roast it in the oven in a baking paper bag with some butter so it self sauces.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:46 pm

I was a bit silly and didnt go to the butchers until late afternoon. Had hoped to buy a rack of lamb but their stock had gone. So instead I have a pork belly in the fridge covered in salt, will braise it tomorrow then compress overnight ready to fry on Sunday

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu May 03, 2018 9:18 pm

I'm putting together a Culinary World Cup to coincide with the tournament in Russia this year.

Essentially I've picked one popular street food dish from each competing country and they'll face off against each other on match days.

People can vote thier favorite dish on social media and the overall winner gets the points or share if it's a draw.

I've got most of the recipes in place and am putting it all together over the next few weeks.

Hope you all can join in!