The Cooking/Baking Thread

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: The Cooking/Baking Thread

Post by Hjl » Tue May 14, 2019 1:42 am

Got a smoker and have been smoking my Sunday dinners.

Deliciousness.

overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:05 pm

My sister was diagnosed with MS earlier this year and she and her husband have opted to go vegan as it appears it has health benefits (not actually proven as most people don't stay on the dietary change for long enough).

I've been looking into vegan dishes for a few months now and trying to create a range of new dishes. The substitutes are bloody weird; use the water from a tin of chickpeas to make a meringue, but it does actually work!

I'm going to create a new section on cookforcrowds.com for vegans and then run through existing dishes to recommend changes to make either veggie or vegan.

Anyone have some tips for vegan dishes?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:29 pm

I do a chickpea and spinach curry using coconut milk that’s vegan but it’s only a recipe that I found online so not sure if it’s of interest?

Edit: do this once a week too and it’s good.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/smoky-beans-toast
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:49 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:05 pm
My sister was diagnosed with MS earlier this year and she and her husband have opted to go vegan as it appears it has health benefits (not actually proven as most people don't stay on the dietary change for long enough).

I've been looking into vegan dishes for a few months now and trying to create a range of new dishes. The substitutes are bloody weird; use the water from a tin of chickpeas to make a meringue, but it does actually work!

I'm going to create a new section on cookforcrowds.com for vegans and then run through existing dishes to recommend changes to make either veggie or vegan.

From my short time dating a vegan, and then having a roommate who was one, the worst dishes are when you try to make regular dishes with meat/dairy/egg substitute. I found the only ones I really enjoyed were regular meals that just happened to be vegan.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:53 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:49 pm
overseasTOON wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:05 pm

From my short time dating a vegan, and then having a roommate who was one, the worst dishes are when you try to make regular dishes with meat/dairy/egg substitute. I found the only ones I really enjoyed were regular meals that just happened to be vegan.
This. There's a whole world of terrific dals and stuff out there (I am very far from vegan or veggie but they're just delicious in their own right).
I had the first custom w***

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:35 pm

Tesco Extras (the big ones) stock Vegan Burgers called 'Beyond Meat Burgers'. They're £5.50 for two and that's just the patty so they're not cheap but once I had the extras in I honestly couldn't tell it wasn't beef. A nice option as a treat or whatever.