The ToonForum Whisky Club

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: The ToonForum Whisky Club

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Hjl wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Had a Woodford Rye last night and a Booker's 7 year old. Both very good, would happily buy a bottle of either. Booker's is about £45 but there's a lot going on so definitely worth it. Barman also gave us a free single of Stagg Jnr <diva>
Stagg Jnr is a hot mess isnt it. Its way too strong. Desperately needs an ice cube or a splash of water, its like drinking fire.

Having said that, once its diluted enough to not spontaneously combust your face, its actually good. See if you can find Eagle Rare, its another Buffalo Trace bourbon but i would say better put together than Stagg Jnr. I find most Woodford bottles to be a bit overpriced for what they are. $20 bourbon in a $35 bottle. Just like Makers Mark, its marked up because its famous.
I actually like the slap in the face that Stagg Jnr gives you and drink mine neat (I've got a bottle at home). I also drink Goerge T Stagg neat on the three occasions I've had it, that's like a jumbo jet flying into your face! Excellent!

Yeah love Eagle Rare, it's pound for pound one of the best bourbons I've had.

I generally buy Woodford when it's on offer, never pay more than £25 a bottle which I think is a fair price. Prefer it to makers mark personally which I find a little rougher.

God, I could drink some bourbon right now!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Hjl wrote:
Stagg Jnr is a hot mess isnt it. Its way too strong. Desperately needs an ice cube or a splash of water, its like drinking fire.

Having said that, once its diluted enough to not spontaneously combust your face, its actually good. See if you can find Eagle Rare, its another Buffalo Trace bourbon but i would say better put together than Stagg Jnr. I find most Woodford bottles to be a bit overpriced for what they are. $20 bourbon in a $35 bottle. Just like Makers Mark, its marked up because its famous.
I actually like the slap in the face that Stagg Jnr gives you and drink mine neat (I've got a bottle at home). I also drink Goerge T Stagg neat on the three occasions I've had it, that's like a jumbo jet flying into your face! Excellent!

I generally buy Woodford when it's on offer, never pay more than £25 a bottle which I think is a fair price. Prefer it to makers mark personally which I find a little rougher.

I prefer mine at around 100 proof. GT Stagg is a harsh mistress to drink straight. It's a fabulous bourbon but jesus. 130 proof. Staff jnr is 132 but much harsher. Hasn't been aged nearly as long and it is obvious when you drink it in my opinion. Much rather have a bottle of Forrester 1920 for the money.

Did you see if you can pick that up in the uk?

Also if you like G T Stagg then you should try to get hold of a bottle of T H H Sezerac. Possibly the best drink I've ever had.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:44 pm

Hjl wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:

I prefer mine at around 100 proof. GT Stagg is a harsh mistress to drink straight. It's a fabulous bourbon but jesus. 130 proof. Staff jnr is 132 but much harsher. Hasn't been aged nearly as long and it is obvious when you drink it in my opinion. Much rather have a bottle of Forrester 1920 for the money.

Did you see if you can pick that up in the uk?

Also if you like G T Stagg then you should try to get hold of a bottle of T H H Sezerac. Possibly the best drink I've ever had.
Wow, best ever, that's quite a statement! Yeah I googled the Forrester 1920 and it doesn't seem easily available. Will search for the T H H Sazerac now...
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Wow, best ever, that's quite a statement! Yeah I googled the Forrester 1920 and it doesn't seem easily available. Will search for the T H H Sazerac now...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sazerac-Straig ... rac+whisky

Will be ordering the Black Barrel and Glendalough this weekend <divax>
Also i just noticed on Amazon the Amazon Pantry where you can get Whisky at a discount if you're a Prime member <parrot>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Tsi wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Wow, best ever, that's quite a statement! Yeah I googled the Forrester 1920 and it doesn't seem easily available. Will search for the T H H Sazerac now...

Also i just noticed on Amazon the Amazon Pantry where you can get Whisky at a discount if you're a Prime member <parrot>
That's not it, it's this one. It's Thomas H Handy Sezerac

https://distiller.com/spirits/thomas-h- ... -fall-2014

And I'll eat my hat if you can find it on Amazon.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Hjl wrote:
Tsi wrote:

Would you like pepper on your hat sir <gent>

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thomas-Handy-S ... B007C650IM
SpoilerShow
I know it's not the same year but it would be fun to see you on youtube eating a hat <cheers>
It's on Masters of malt and the Whisky exchange for around £125
Last edited by Tsi on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:47 pm

Tsi wrote:

The Sazerac Rye is very good too <ok>

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 pm

I think Benny must of bought it from the Whisky exchange they're now out of stock.
Also Hjl spotted this (Ritten House 100 Proof Rye) whilst i was searching for it have you had it?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:57 pm

Tsi wrote:I think Benny must of bought it from the Whisky exchange they're now out of stock.
Also Hjl spotted this (Ritten House 100 Proof Rye) whilst i was searching for it have you had it?
Three bottles of it. It's very good. Delicious spicy rye flavor, and very smooth. If you can find it, get it.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:58 pm

Tsi wrote:
Hjl wrote:

SpoilerShow
I know it's not the same year but it would be fun to see you on youtube eating a hat <cheers>
A thousand quid lol.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:18 pm

Hjl wrote:
Tsi wrote:

SpoilerShow
A thousand quid lol.
Nowhere did i see you type at a reasonable price <whistle>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:28 pm

<laugh>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:21 am

So i dont drink a lot of scotch as im in the land of cheep bourbon, but i do want to put some in my cabinet to represent the homeland.

Whats the best of each region without going crazy?

I was thinking Ardbeg Uigeadail for Islay, Balvenie 12 Double Wood for speyside, and what for Highland?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:40 am

Hjl wrote:So i dont drink a lot of scotch as im in the land of cheep bourbon, but i do want to put some in my cabinet to represent the homeland.

I was thinking Ardbeg Uigeadail for Islay, Balvenie 12 Double Wood for speyside, and what for Highland?
For Speyside you can't go wrong with Balvenie but I'd go for the Caribbean Cask if you can get it.

Islay I'm not so sure on as I'm not one for smokey/peaty ones but Laphroaig and Lagavulin are the go to ones for a lot of people.

For Highland I quite like most things by Glengoyne although you're spoilt for choice really.

Depends if you're after something a bit special, what's your budget? They're just what I'd look at for a 'day to day' whisky around £30-£45 a bottle here.

Always fancied these but they're more expensive:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/b ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product/7 ... gKbkfD_BwE

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:24 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Hjl wrote:So i dont drink a lot of scotch as im in the land of cheep bourbon, but i do want to put some in my cabinet to represent the homeland.

For Speyside you can't go wrong with Balvenie but I'd go for the Caribbean Cask if you can get it.

Islay I'm not so sure on as I'm not one for smokey/peaty ones but Laphroaig and Lagavulin are the go to ones for a lot of people.

For Highland I quite like most things by Glengoyne although you're spoilt for choice really.

Depends if you're after something a bit special, what's your budget? They're just what I'd look at for a 'day to day' whisky around £30-£45 a bottle here.

Always fancied these but they're more expensive:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/b ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product/7 ... gKbkfD_BwE
I'm a peaty lover. Islay scotch is probably my favourite. My budget is less than £100 a bottle.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Picked up a bottle of Weller 12 today at retail ($30)! Not sure what to do with it, sell it for $150 or drink it?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Hjl wrote:Picked up a bottle of Weller 12 today at retail ($30)! Not sure what to do with it, sell it for $150 or drink it?
Sell it and buy 5 more <cheers>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:13 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Hjl wrote:Picked up a bottle of Weller 12 today at retail ($30)! Not sure what to do with it, sell it for $150 or drink it?
There is no way I'll find another one.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:21 pm

Hjl wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
I'd enjoy it then. Had a bottle of that myself and it's lovely stuff.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:16 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Hjl wrote:
I'd enjoy it then. Had a bottle of that myself and it's lovely stuff.
Cracked it open.

MY NOTES

Not too sweet, very pleasant burn. Very different taste. Hard to pick out individual flavors. I guess I'll have to drink the rest before making my mind up.

2nd glass, its over oaked, not that great. worth $30, not much more.