The ToonForum Whisky Club

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: The Toon Forum Whisky Club

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:59 pm

I'm having a Glenrothes Select Reserve tonight. Will add a review tomorrow.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:03 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:If it uses Sour mash, it's bourbon to me, who cares where it's made? I dislike JD but it's still a bourbon
That is where it gets even more confusing. Bourbon is counted as a sub-type of whisky and there are bourbon's that classify themselves as Sour Mash Whisky (Bourbon). So even though JD is marketed as Sour Mash Whisky it doesn't eliminate it from being a bourbon. Literally the only thing that does according to red tape is the lack of the word bourbon anywhere on the label.

But I agree it is a bourbon.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
سحب عرفة واحد wrote:
Where do you stand on Champagne etc?
I don't know anything about what makes a champagne a champagne tbh. But if it's small technicalities etc. then I don't care much for whether its legally classed champagne or not. If it looks, smells and tastes like champagne then I'd happily call it champagne <ok>
Prosecco > Champagne anyway. But the Champagne region has more of a history than Kentucky tbf, sour mash is such a new thing
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:06 pm

سحب عرفة واحد wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
I'd say it is. The US Trade Standards things just sounds like another crap government reg. If it looks, smells and tastes like bourbon then it's a bourbon in my book.
Where do you stand on Champagne etc?
I think it is fair enough that it should come from the Champagne region. The US don't like it even though they are hypocrites about it. For example, one of their criteria for bourbon is that it has to be made in the USA. Even if you made it in England with the exact same ingredients and process the US Government would state that it could not be called a bourbon.

So Champagne has an even better argument for having to come from the Champagne region.

Plymouth Gin also has to be made in Plymouth.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:08 pm

The TF Whisky Club sharing knowledge <awe>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: The ToonForum Whisky Club

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:17 am

Glenrothes Select Reserve
SpoilerShow
I got a bottle of this for my birthday and cracked it open last night. It's £34.05 on the Whisky Exchange but my wife got it for about £30 on offer in ASDA not long ago.

I wasn't blown away by it, don't get me wrong it's pleasant enough to drink - but it's not going to last long in the memory. I'd say if you are new to the world of single malts then it's an easy place to start, but if you're a more seasoned single malt drinker you'd be looking for a lot more.

Taste wise it has a little bit of spice to it, and a bit of subtle sweetness. It's not very complex IMO, which helps make it smooth and ideal if whisky is a new experience for your tastebuds.

Was I happy to drink it? Yeah. Will I buy another bottle? Probably not. For the same price there are better options (many of which have been mentioned on previous pages).

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2666.aspx

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:31 am

If I win the Euro jackpot tonight, I'm going to buy a bottle of the best Chivas Regal Royal Salute. £150,000 is a bargain!
Kindly deeds done for free!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:32 am

fatbastardvegetarian wrote:If I win the Euro jackpot tonight, I'm going to buy a bottle of the best Chivas Regal Royal Salute. £150,000 is a bargain!
I think if you won £20m you could afford to buy me one too <gent>

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:33 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
fatbastardvegetarian wrote:If I win the Euro jackpot tonight, I'm going to buy a bottle of the best Chivas Regal Royal Salute. £150,000 is a bargain!
I could, you're right.

But I wouldn't.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:44 am

fatbastardvegetarian wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
I could, you're right.

But I wouldn't.
Okay, i'd prefer it if you bought me this one anyway http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-18354.aspx

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:53 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
I could, you're right.

But I wouldn't.
Okay, i'd prefer it if you bought me this one anyway http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-18354.aspx
I'm going to buy it myself and then post videos of me drinking it mixed with Diet Pepsi on Youtube <kray>.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:57 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
I'm going to buy it myself and then post videos of me drinking it mixed with Diet Pepsi on Youtube <kray>.
Diet Pepsi? ****in heathen!

Full fat Coke or **** off.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:01 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
<gurn>

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
<laugh> <applause>
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 pm

I'm enough of a cronut to do that too. It's the sort of thing Dan Bilzerian would do.

I.e.

[tweet][/tweet]

<fist>

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:38 pm

Even if I was a millionaire I would not spend £21k on a bottle of drink

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Badly Packed Kebab wrote:Even if I was a millionaire I would not spend £21k on a bottle of drink
If I won something like £100m I would, if only to see what you get for your money. The most expensive whiskey I've had is about £130 a bottle and the difference compared to your £35-£45 priced whiskeys is amazing. So I'd be curious as to what something that priced, and aged for 50 years was like.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Badly Packed Kebab wrote:Even if I was a millionaire I would not spend £21k on a bottle of drink
If I won something like £100m I would, if only to see what you get for your money. The most expensive whiskey I've had is about £130 a bottle and the difference compared to your £35-£45 priced whiskeys is amazing. So I'd be curious as to what something that priced, and aged for 50 years was like.
I'd love to have a bottle of whisky that needed to be insured <awe>.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:57 pm

If people on eBay can sell 'atmosphere' from an event trapped in a plastic bag to idiots prepared to pay for it then I see no stumbling blocks with you selling your own urine on eBay every time you have a snifter of the £150,000 bottle.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:07 pm

When I used to work as a Trust Manager I had a Russian client who was a fanatic for Napoleon Brandy. I'd buy for him anywhere in the region of half a dozen bottles of brandy each valued between £20k to £40k each year.

Speaking to him soon after i'd ask him how the bottles were getting on and he'd always tell me they were very nice and that he'd enjoyed them immensely. He didn't buy them as investments but to drink. <wah>

One lunch meeting in London he sprung for a round of brandy's after the meal at £700 a shot. He ordered doubles for all six of us.

I hate the new rich types who have no idea of the true value of money. <fist>