The ToonForum Whisky Club

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: The ToonForum Whisky Club

Post by Hjl » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tsi wrote:Nice
Speaking of Jealously i have a friend who moved years ago to Ellon the home town of Brewdog Brewery (wasn't there when he moved there of course) and within 50 miles of about 6 or 7 Whisky distilleries <awe> <urgh>
That'd be amazing <awe>
Hjl wrote:Flying through duty free, what should I get. Lagavulin 16 or lagavulin 10 cask strength special addition....
I don't like Lagavulin so no comment from me!
What about Ardbeg, Laphroiag and Bowmore? I love peated scotches.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Hjl wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
That'd be amazing <awe>

I don't like Lagavulin so no comment from me!
I'm not generally a fan of the peated ones. I don't mind a little bit, but definitely not my go to. If I ever get given a Laphroaig I'll send it your way!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:14 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Hjl wrote:
I'm not generally a fan of the peated ones. I don't mind a little bit, but definitely not my go to. If I ever get given a Laphroaig I'll send it your way!
I'm the same mate - but if you ever fancy dipping your toe in the water so to speak Bowmore is a good one to have. I usually go for sweeter, smoother whiskies but I've found the Bowmore 12, 15 and 18 very nice. Peat isn't too overpowering and they have some sweetness <ok>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:48 pm

Chappy wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
I'm the same mate - but if you ever fancy dipping your toe in the water so to speak Bowmore is a good one to have. I usually go for sweeter, smoother whiskies but I've found the Bowmore 12, 15 and 18 very nice. Peat isn't too overpowering and they have some sweetness <ok>
I absolutely love peated scotches. The peatier the better.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Hjl wrote:
Chappy wrote:
I absolutely love peated scotches. The peatier the better.
I have very delicate taste buds
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:02 am

Had some decent whiskey's last night at the event I went to. Kavalan Sherry Oak, Nikka Takesuru, Nikka from the Barrel (got a bottle of that at home) and Nikka Pure Malt Black. The Kavalan Sherry Oak and Nikka Takesuru were my favourites, the Kavalan was really fruity on the nose and an intense rich fruity flavour making way to something a bit more nutty. It had a lot going on and tasted stronger than 46%. The Takesuru was really nice as a day-to-day whisky, super smooth and mellow, a real nice easy drinker.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:46 pm

So does anyone else like a drop of rum on here?
I'm asking because i'm a massive fan of it and might start posting some of the rums i'm planning to try over the coming months.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Tsi wrote:So does anyone else like a drop of rum on here?
I'm asking because i'm a massive fan of it and might start posting some of the rums i'm planning to try over the coming months.
I like rum, been enjoying a bottle of Diplomatico Reserava Exclusiva recently. Its a bit too sweet though.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:24 pm

Hjl wrote:
Tsi wrote:So does anyone else like a drop of rum on here?
I like rum, been enjoying a bottle of Diplomatico Reserava Exclusiva recently. Its a bit too sweet though.
Yeah you get a few like that another one to avoid is Sailor Jerry it's not sweet but has a very synthetic taste to it.
Kraken, Rumbullion and Dark Matter are pretty solid rums for the price.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Tue May 01, 2018 1:52 pm

SpoilerShow
Ron de Jeremy Spiced Hardcore Edition Rum
<laugh>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue May 01, 2018 6:55 pm

I'm ok with Rum, but it is some way behind whiskey/bourbon, gin or vodka on my list of preferences.

But I did buy a bottle of Pike Creek recently (it was on special at Waitrose). It is a 10 year old Canadian whisky finished in rum barrels. Basically you get the taste of both whisky and rum in about equal measure. But the mix doesn't work for me, I find it less enjoyable than I would either on their own. Anybody else tried it?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:I'm ok with Rum, but it is some way behind whiskey/bourbon, gin or vodka on my list of preferences.

But I did buy a bottle of Pike Creek recently (it was on special at Waitrose). It is a 10 year old Canadian whisky finished in rum barrels. Basically you get the taste of both whisky and rum in about equal measure. But the mix doesn't work for me, I find it less enjoyable than I would either on their own. Anybody else tried it?
I've had balvennie Caribbean cake which is also finished in rum barrels, that's a damn nice dram. It's not a strong rum flavour tho.

I'm not a rum drinker tho, a good rum cake is alright tho.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed May 02, 2018 12:23 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:I'm ok with Rum, but it is some way behind whiskey/bourbon, gin or vodka on my list of preferences.

I've had balvennie Caribbean cake which is also finished in rum barrels, that's a damn nice dram. It's not a strong rum flavour tho.

Can't really say I'm a huge rum drinker but I do like a few brands.I recently decided i was gonna look into more brands and try and hopefully find some gems.I'm also thinking of exploring brandy further as my one experience of it when I was a youth delayed a mates sister from emigrating to Oz so not good <laugh> and I'd thought it was a good time to try it out.
Sort of an adventure in alcohol <cheers> <aew>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 02, 2018 1:14 pm

Tsi wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:

Can't really say I'm a huge rum drinker but I do like a few brands.I recently decided i was gonna look into more brands and try and hopefully find some gems.I'm also thinking of exploring brandy further as my one experience of it when I was a youth delayed a mates sister from emigrating to Oz so not good <laugh> and I'd thought it was a good time to try it out.
Just seen that my phone correct Carribbean Cask to Caribbean Cake <laugh>

Can't knock an alcohol adventure! My mate got me a bottle of port for Christmas (f*** knows why) but I haven't opened it yet.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed May 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tsi wrote:

Can't knock an alcohol adventure! My mate got me a bottle of port for Christmas (**** knows why) but I haven't opened it yet.
I'd assumed that was a typo when I read it <cheers>

I love port, got about twenty bottles stacked up, some of which I have no intention of drinking anytime soon. Including a 1977 Sandeman's limited QEII Silver Jubilee edition which was supposed to be drunk on her Golden Jubiliee in 2002 but I just didn't have the heart to drink it. My brother gave it to me for xmas in about 1988. Don't know when I will think an occasion worthy of opening it.

I love going on alcohol adventures, just can't help buying any type I haven't had before. Ok that means buying some lemons but I have all sorts in my cabinet as a result. Of the more obscure I particularly like Arak and Kirsch. Currently exploring the massive range of brandy out there and really starting to like it.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed May 02, 2018 2:33 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:

Can't knock an alcohol adventure! My mate got me a bottle of port for Christmas (**** knows why) but I haven't opened it yet.

I love port, got about twenty bottles stacked up, some of which I have no intention of drinking anytime soon. Including a 1977 Sandeman's limited QEII Silver Jubilee edition which was supposed to be drunk on her Golden Jubiliee in 2002 but I just didn't have the heart to drink it. My brother gave it to me for xmas in about 1988. Don't know when I will think an occasion worthy of opening it.

I love going on alcohol adventures, just can't help buying any type I haven't had before. Ok that means buying some lemons but I have all sorts in my cabinet as a result. Of the more obscure I particularly like Arak and Kirsch. Currently exploring the massive range of brandy out there and really starting to like it.
Post some of your recommendations as I'm about to start trying that soon <cheers>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed May 02, 2018 2:47 pm

Tsi wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:

Post some of your recommendations as I'm about to start trying that soon <cheers>
Will do <cheers> and same to you, recommendations most welcome.

So far only tried a number of the fairly well known market leaders like Courvoisier, Martell's, Remy Martin, Three Barrels etc. Liked all of them to some extent without thinking any of them to be particularly special. Thinking I haven't tried enough of them yet to establish a benchmark in my own head yet.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 02, 2018 5:27 pm

Definitely need benchmarks when dabbling in spirits due to the range of options out there (whether your drinking whisky, rum, port or whatever). My bourbon benchmarks for 'every day' bourbon is Woodford reserve or Eagle Rare, higher end my benchmark is Stagg Jnr.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Wed May 02, 2018 8:42 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Definitely need benchmarks when dabbling in spirits due to the range of options out there (whether your drinking whisky, rum, port or whatever). My bourbon benchmarks for 'every day' bourbon is Woodford reserve or Eagle Rare, higher end my benchmark is Stagg Jnr.
Eagle rare is a good choice. I find Stagg Jnr to be a bit too high proof. It's about 120-130 if I recall, needs toning down a little

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 02, 2018 9:12 pm

Hjl wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Definitely need benchmarks when dabbling in spirits due to the range of options out there (whether your drinking whisky, rum, port or whatever). My bourbon benchmarks for 'every day' bourbon is Woodford reserve or Eagle Rare, higher end my benchmark is Stagg Jnr.
Eagle rare is a good choice. I find Stagg Jnr to be a bit too high proof. It's about 120-130 if I recall, needs toning down a little
Yeah, 132.1 (or 66.05% abv in British language ;) ), certainly a throat burner but I quite like the harshness of it. I only ever drink a single of it on special occasions, if I was drinking more it'd need toning down a bit.