Holidays

Albert's Chip Shop
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Holidays

Post by Albert's Chip Shop » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Somebody's pinched my sombrero wrote:Going to Jamaica in May but haven't booked a place yet. Anyone been? I could really do with some pointers. Want to go to Kingston for a day, so preferably somewhere near there, although there doesn't seem to be any resorts close.
There’s a lot of trouble there at the minute Somb.

I’d keep up to date on the foreign office advice.

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:22 pm

Alpha Charlie Sierra wrote:
Somebody's pinched my sombrero wrote:Going to Jamaica in May but haven't booked a place yet. Anyone been? I could really do with some pointers. Want to go to Kingston for a day, so preferably somewhere near there, although there doesn't seem to be any resorts close.
There’s a lot of trouble there at the minute Somb.

I’d keep up to date on the foreign office advice.
I am mate. Muggers paradise me ffs :(
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Looking at booking a city break at Easter, anyone been to Chicago? There's some good value deals but I know nothing about the place.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Looking at booking a city break at Easter, anyone been to Chicago? There's some good value deals but I know nothing about the place.

Great city to visit.

Ranks as one of my all time favourite places.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:25 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Looking at booking a city break at Easter, anyone been to Chicago? There's some good value deals but I know nothing about the place.

Great city to visit.

Ranks as one of my all time favourite places.
<notbad>

Wow, quite a recommendation!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 am

Chicago has a great food scene going on. From BBQ/street food through to high end restaurants and it's difficult to get a bad meal. Also they have a strong micro-brewery tradition so you get lots of variety in all the bars.

For music, you have to go to Kingston Mines for some blues but loads of bars have live music going on most weekends.

Sears Tower for the views, Hancock Tower for a beer and the views. Navy Pier for shopping and relaxing. The Miracle Mile is great for the missus to go window shopping.

The beach on the lake is always busy in good weather so you can chill out for a few hours on the sand.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:29 am

Cheers OT, food, drink and music scene sounds great. I'll have to steer the Mrs away from the shops tho!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:20 am

Booked my trip to Chicago last night <diva>

£559 each (flight and accomodation) which I didn't think was too bad. Direct flights, only downside it's with American Airlines and you have to pay to book seats together (starting at £58pp each way). Not going to bother, if we get allocated seats away from each other it's not the end of the world, certainly not paying over £200 to guarantee it!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:07 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:Booked my trip to Chicago last night <diva>

£559 each (flight and accomodation) which I didn't think was too bad. Direct flights, only downside it's with American Airlines and you have to pay to book seats together (starting at £58pp each way). Not going to bother, if we get allocated seats away from each other it's not the end of the world, certainly not paying over £200 to guarantee it!
Hope you have a great time.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:10 am

overseasTOON wrote:

Hope you have a great time.
<cheers>

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:17 pm

I flew AA to the US and it was good - Business out and First Class on route back 8)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 pm

Micky Quim wrote:

I flew AA to the US and it was good - Business out and First Class on route back 8)
I'm cattle class but if you can pull any strings...

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:00 pm

I'll hopefully be booking New York in the next few weeks for mine and missus' 30th birthdays ( <erk> ). Spent a few days in Iceland last week but unfortunately the weather was bloody awful. I don't mind snow, or even rain, but it's the f***ing wind that ruins it. Still managed to see the Diamond Beach, Vik, the plane wreck and a couple of waterfalls though <diva>.

Kindly deeds done for free!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:28 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:I'll hopefully be booking New York in the next few weeks for mine and missus' 30th birthdays ( <erk> ). Spent a few days in Iceland last week but unfortunately the weather was bloody awful. I don't mind snow, or even rain, but it's the f***ing wind that ruins it. Still managed to see the Diamond Beach, Vik, the plane wreck and a couple of waterfalls though <diva>.

I went to New York for my wife's 30th a few years back, absolutely loved it.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:32 pm

I've got a wedding to go to in Singapore from the middle of November. Depending on if I can get MiniOT out of school for one or two weeks to make a decent holiday in Thailand I'm looking at taking the family away for a week in France.

Spoke with an old chef colleague working in Lyon who's agreed to a 1 day cooking course for wife and daughter end of July and then we can borrow his flat in Menton for 4 days.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:38 pm

Anyone been to Isle of Skye before?
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:48 pm

Oh and Brighton, may go there next weekend

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:Anyone been to Isle of Skye before?
Yes, it's f***ing amazing <ok>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:58 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:Oh and Brighton, may go there next weekend
Brighton is just down the road from me.

Good pubs and food. Beach will be rubbish next week as its still cold. Nightlife at weekends is always good all year round.

The Lanes is worth a visit to wander around in the day.

Just up the train line is Lewes which is also nice and we'll worth an afternoon.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:20 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:Oh and Brighton, may go there next weekend
Brighton is just down the road from me.

Good pubs and food. Beach will be rubbish next week as its still cold. Nightlife at weekends is always good all year round.

The Lanes is worth a visit to wander around in the day.

Just up the train line is Lewes which is also nice and we'll worth an afternoon.
Should we get train there from London on Friday night, or wait until Saturday? I've heard misery stories about Southern Trains...