Holidays

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Re: Holidays

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:45 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:27 am
We're seriously considering moving up the road a bit. The closest part of the border is about 35 miles away from me as the crow flies so it wouldn't be a ridiculous move for us. I would quite happily become a Scottish citizen if that's what it comes to in the future.
Scottish independence is and ill thought out take back control sill idea like brexit and will have the same consequences but I'll happily take a tasty EU passport if they are planning to dish them out based on ancestry, I think they were going to offer it if the 1st referendum was successful.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:39 am

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:45 am
biggeordiedave wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:27 am
We're seriously considering moving up the road a bit. The closest part of the border is about 35 miles away from me as the crow flies so it wouldn't be a ridiculous move for us. I would quite happily become a Scottish citizen if that's what it comes to in the future.
Scottish independence is and ill thought out take back control sill idea like brexit and will have the same consequences but I'll happily take a tasty EU passport if they are planning to dish them out based on ancestry, I think they were going to offer it if the 1st referendum was successful.
I just think I'd rather be part of an independent Scotland in the EU than an independent England outside of the EU.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:32 pm

I'm Scottish by birth and lived there until I was 9, but lived in England for 26 years now. I definitely don't consider myself English, nor Scottish really for that matter. All I know is that in terms of cocking everything up, England takes the biscuit <laugh>

Got a UK passport and an Irish one already...if Scotland gets independence (never happening any time soon) then can I get a third passport?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:12 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:32 pm
I'm Scottish by birth and lived there until I was 9, but lived in England for 26 years now. I definitely don't consider myself English, nor Scottish really for that matter. All I know is that in terms of cocking everything up, England takes the biscuit <laugh>

Got a UK passport and an Irish one already...if Scotland gets independence (never happening any time soon) then can I get a third passport?
I'm totally English but I'm not remotely patriotic other than following the national team in sport. I would happily become a citizen of any other country.

No limit to the number of passports you can hold, but some countries forbid dual nationality.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:50 am
Cal wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:43 am
Yeah that's what we ended up going with, kept it down to immediate family and friends on the original date - it's not likely that big parties are going to be a thing for a long time yet. We'll do something for extended family at some point, but not worth the stress right now.
We got married 21st March this year had to cancel everything (obviously) but still managed to get married with parents there which is the main thing. Trying to sort something out for the same time next year as the venue and other companies have been great but I don't think either of us can be arsed <laugh>
I had a small wedding in the US with a view to coming back to England for a party with the extended family/friends. Literally as soon as we were married all motivation for doing that dropped off and we really can't be bothered to plan, nor pay, for a party for everyone else <laugh>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:04 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:12 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:32 pm

I'm totally English but I'm not remotely patriotic other than following the national team in sport. I would happily become a citizen of any other country.

No limit to the number of passports you can hold, but some countries forbid dual nationality.
Yeah I'm the same tbh, if I moved to NZ or Australia long-term I'd happily become a citizen. All borders/countries/nationalities are is completely man made constructs anyway.
PTAO? wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:38 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:
We got married 21st March this year had to cancel everything (obviously) but still managed to get married with parents there which is the main thing. Trying to sort something out for the same time next year as the venue and other companies have been great but I don't think either of us can be arsed <laugh>
I had a small wedding in the US with a view to coming back to England for a party with the extended family/friends. Literally as soon as we were married all motivation for doing that dropped off and we really can't be bothered to plan, nor pay, for a party for everyone else <laugh>
Don't blame you at all, when you look at it weddings are a colossal waste of money for what is essentially a one day party. Better off ploughing the £10k-£20k or whatever the average cost is now into a property or something.

I can't remember how much it cost me to get married in '09, think it was around £10k - far more than the divorce cost me <dotheameobi>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:42 pm

The wife and I got married for less than £250.

f*** everyone else.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:13 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:39 am
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:45 am

I just think I'd rather be part of an independent Scotland in the EU than an independent England outside of the EU.
Oh so would I but that's more of a damping indictment of England than an acceptance than an independent Scotland would be roaring success, it definitely wouldn't be for a couple of decades at least.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:15 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Blue & Maroon wrote:

Covid has completely destroyed the little motivation we had left for it to be honest. I cant wait to see all my aunties uncles and cousins but f*** arranging the party for them <laugh>

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:40 am

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:15 pm
PTAO? wrote:

Covid has completely destroyed the little motivation we had left for it to be honest. I cant wait to see all my aunties uncles and cousins but f*** arranging the party for them <laugh>
Covid is more of an excuse for us <laugh>
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:04 pm
PTAO? wrote:

Don't blame you at all, when you look at it weddings are a colossal waste of money for what is essentially a one day party. Better off ploughing the £10k-£20k or whatever the average cost is now into a property or something.

I can't remember how much it cost me to get married in '09, think it was around £10k - far more than the divorce cost me <dotheameobi>
Yeah, I'm happy to throw a party maybe, but no need to go mental. It was like a switch, as soon as we were married we saw it a lot more like a wasteful extravagance.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:26 pm

So Singapore is certainly off now.

On arrival you are forced to pay a "covid tax" of £1000 which means you've payed for your two weeks accommodation in government run quarantine.

Singapore national, resident or tourist. Applies to all.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:30 am

Ended up down a YouTube hole last night and got onto videos about The Residence seats on Etihad flights <awe>. You get two massive seats in your own private lounge then a little corridor with a toilet and separate shower off to either side that leads to your bedroom. That's the way to do long haul if you've got s*** loads of cash.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:47 am

Can't begin to imagine how much that would cost! I one asked how much an upgrade to first class would be on a flight to New York it was £2k per person each way <laugh>

Also flew back from Auckland to Dubai in 2016, flight was pretty deserted so asked how much a seat in Business Class was and even that was an extra £450pp <laugh>

How the other half live.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:17 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:47 am
Can't begin to imagine how much that would cost! I one asked how much an upgrade to first class would be on a flight to New York it was £2k per person each way <laugh>

Also flew back from Auckland to Dubai in 2016, flight was pretty deserted so asked how much a seat in Business Class was and even that was an extra £450pp <laugh>

How the other half live.
I was going to experience business class through work last year but then my trip to NY got cancelled :(
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:53 am

We flew 'Premium Economy' to New York and even that was eye-watering <laugh>. I think we got an extra couple of inches of legroom. At 6' 3" it made little difference.

The Residence can cost anywhere up to £40,000 per person I believe.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:15 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:53 am
We flew 'Premium Economy' to New York and even that was eye-watering <laugh>. I think we got an extra couple of inches of legroom. At 6' 3" it made little difference.

<yikes> <yikes>

I went Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy once, must have got lucky as it was only about £150 more pp and it was a long flight so decided to pay it. Extra legroom, a foot rest thing that came out when you put your seat back, wider TV and better headphones. I think it's a lot more expensive now though.
Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:17 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:47 am

How the other half live.
I was going to experience business class through work last year but then my trip to NY got cancelled :(
Gutted! A mate of mine goes (or did go...) to Malaysia 4 or 5 times a year for work. He always flew Emirates so raked in the Air Miles and almost without fail got Business Class upgrades.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:31 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:15 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:53 am

<yikes> <yikes>

I went Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy once, must have got lucky as it was only about £150 more pp and it was a long flight so decided to pay it. Extra legroom, a foot rest thing that came out when you put your seat back, wider TV and better headphones. I think it's a lot more expensive now though.
I think even if I did have a few million in the bank, I'd struggle to chuck that sort of money on flights, especially when you consider the seats that cost a tenth of that price are also ridiculous <laugh>.

We flew with British Airways. It was alright, but I was still very uncomfortable within a couple of hours.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:05 pm

Now I'm reminiscing about the times where you could just jump on a plane and sod off somewhere <urgh>

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:43 pm

<grim>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:37 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:31 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:15 pm

<yikes> <yikes>

I think even if I did have a few million in the bank, I'd struggle to chuck that sort of money on flights, especially when you consider the seats that cost a tenth of that price are also ridiculous <laugh>.

We flew with British Airways. It was alright, but I was still very uncomfortable within a couple of hours.
Think I'd pay it just for the extra leg room tbh