Holidays

Bik
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Re: Holidays

Post by Bik » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Sammy's Teckers V2 wrote:http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208 ... ,21.643066

just one of my ideas
Absolutely hate Las Vegas. Full of the worst Americans the country has to offer. Cultural wasteland.

Having a Good time
Lee Ryder? Pfft. Twitter is Mine.

Post by Having a Good time » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Bik wrote:
Sammy's Teckers V2 wrote:http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208 ... ,21.643066

just one of my ideas
Absolutely hate Las Vegas. Full of the worst Americans the country has to offer. Cultural wasteland.
Would you reccomend flying directly to SF
STv2 is now Sammy's First Touch

Bik
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Bik » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Sammy's Teckers V2 wrote:
Bik wrote:
Would you reccomend flying directly to SF
Depends what you like doing. If you like gambling... For me, the only reason to venture to LV is if it's on your way or you want to see the Grand Canyon.
San Francisco is a fantastic city. Far better than LV, but that is personal preference. You'll need some coin though. Personally, I like where my home is (Monterey) because of the scenery and what not (the sea otters!), but I'm sure plenty of people would find Monterey/Carmel boring as f***. I certainly wouldn't bother with it if I was 20 years younger, but as I'm a middle aged fart now...

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:08 pm

You could hit up Vegas with a budget of around £3,000.

I'm heading there this summer with about 15 mates, should be very, very interesting.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:09 pm

For those wanting to do the US, Boston is a must

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:20 pm

nobbys trumpet wrote:
Why aye Cabaye wrote:Only done North Africa and f****** hated it. Amazing landscapes, but the people just piss me off - no respect for your own personal space.
Where did you go? Care to say more about the respect...or lack of it?
Tunisia and Morroco. As OTs example showed it's just too in your face. Some people love it, I hated it. Shame as the countries have stunning parts to them.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:39 pm

skalpel wrote:
nobbys trumpet wrote:
I was tempted to try and hitch hike but with a deadline of only 1 month to get everything done I went against it and got a Greyhound ticket.

I did the same sort of thing as you but in Namibia (as driving is the only way to get around - we had to hire a random mans car as there isn't enough hire cars with the companies for the amount of people travelling there). It was a great experience going through a national park where you were your own driver, getting as close to Lions as possible. Unreal. Also going up to the Fish River Canyon in the car was a journey. The "roads" were horrific though...if you could call them roads.

Where about in Europe did you go? I would love to do that, I would even more love to do it on a motorbike. Some of the roads would be unbelievable, however motorways are a tad boring.

O yeah, just remember Sammys Teckers, I can't remember the exact website (I'm sure you can find out or someone on here will know, but you can arrange to sleep on people's couches as long as you are willing for them to do the same at your house.

The liklihood is that you will stay at theirs and they will never come over here. Just a thought.
Your trip to Namibia sounds incredible, Africa is a must-see really, if not only for for the wildlife and scenery. Must be honest though, I'm not sure I'd be trying to get close to lions on purpose <laugh>.

As for Europe, I've done it a couple of times - it's usually how I pick a place to live. The first time was only a few countrys but quite extensively; France, Germany and all of Benelux. The second time was France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Czech Republic (where we stopped and got a flat).
I'd thoroughly recommend it though, especially around the alps which are breathtaking in every country they run through; from the Italian villages high up in the tree covered mountains to the twisting Swiss roads or Bavarian castles.
In South Africa, we took our hire car to a game reserve on the coast. I had the scariest moment of my life there - we got a little too close to, err, a rhino. It's horn was about 1 inch away from the back of our car! <yikes>

Europe tour, South Africa again and a tour around USA and Canada for a while would be amazing

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:44 pm

How about this lads, next year, ToonForum Mongolia Rally <laugh>. We'll get a team together and drive from London to Ulan Bator. Rules are you can't use a car with an engine bigger than a 1.0 unless it is something people will find useful over there, as you have to leave your car there and make your own way back. No set route, you can go whichever way you like <ok>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Canada is my favourite ever holiday, Toronto is amazing.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

The Rock Lobster
Is Shit
Is Shit

Post by The Rock Lobster » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Toronto is good <ok>
" Samaras is a special player." - A. Iniesta

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:53 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:How about this lads, next year, ToonForum Mongolia Rally <laugh>. We'll get a team together and drive from London to Ulan Bator. Rules are you can't use a car with an engine bigger than a 1.0 unless it is something people will find useful over there, as you have to leave your car there and make your own way back. No set route, you can go whichever way you like <ok>.
As of yet I have no plans for my future, this seems to take priority!
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:57 pm

KingoStarr wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:How about this lads, next year, ToonForum Mongolia Rally <laugh>. We'll get a team together and drive from London to Ulan Bator. Rules are you can't use a car with an engine bigger than a 1.0 unless it is something people will find useful over there, as you have to leave your car there and make your own way back. No set route, you can go whichever way you like <ok>.
First read about it a few years ago and have wanted to do it ever since.

http://www.theadventurists.com/the-adve ... ngol-rally" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:05 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
KingoStarr wrote:

http://www.theadventurists.com/the-adve ... ngol-rally" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That looks so fun, I would love to do that so badly!

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:11 pm

KingoStarr wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:

The risk of death doesn't even really put me off. It goes without saying, driving a s*** car across the world is fraught with danger <scratch>. It is one of my life goals to do this. I think I'd go London-France-Germany-Czech Republic-Poland-Belarus/Ukraine-Russia-Mongolia as opposed to the "certain death" route through Georgia-Azerbaijan-Iran-Uzbekistan etc.

GirondinGeordie
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by GirondinGeordie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:15 pm

Come to France. Near Arcachon, beautiful place.
Give it another month and it should be nice and warm!
"La critique est aisée, mais l'art est difficile" - Philippe Néricault Destouches

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:16 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
KingoStarr wrote:
The risk of death doesn't even really put me off. It goes without saying, driving a s*** car across the world is fraught with danger <scratch>. It is one of my life goals to do this. I think I'd go London-France-Germany-Czech Republic-Poland-Belarus/Ukraine-Russia-Mongolia as opposed to the "certain death" route through Georgia-Azerbaijan-Iran-Uzbekistan etc.
Yeh I wouldn't be up for taking the afghan route doesn't really seem to clever

Having a Good time

Post by Having a Good time » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:19 pm

If you don't go through afghanistan and Iran there's no point doing it <erm>
STv2 is now Sammy's First Touch

Pardew's Legendary Specs
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Pardew's Legendary Specs » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:26 pm

]
my mates are doing that this summer. i might tag along for a week or so
<cheers> ............ ......... <cheers>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:29 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
KingoStarr wrote:
UK, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Armenia, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Mongolia woulo be my route

Pardew's Legendary Specs
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Pardew's Legendary Specs » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:32 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:
UK, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Armenia, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Mongolia woulo be my route
ive just this second been sent the following link <laugh>

this is the route they are looking to take, think its a route someone they knew took a couple years ago

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 40.625&z=3
<cheers> ............ ......... <cheers>