overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Holidays

Post by overseasTOON » Tue May 26, 2020 9:29 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:26 am
So, where's everyone going this year <whistle>

I only moved house in March so luckily didn't have anything booked. Pretty unlikely there will be much overseas travel for anyone before 2021 (for holidays).
Might house swap for a few weeks with my brother who lives in Wales.

His daughter lives near to me so he can spend time with her and we get to experience a different garden.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue May 26, 2020 9:34 am

I do like Wales tbf...Llangollen is one of my favourites.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue May 26, 2020 9:44 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:34 am
I've been to Wales once and the wife picked the most Welsh part of Wales to stay and everyone hated us. It was somewhere in Northern Wales near to Blenau Ffestiniog?

Thankfully my brother is nearer to Cardiff.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue May 26, 2020 10:21 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:44 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:34 am
I've been to Wales once and the wife picked the most Welsh part of Wales to stay and everyone hated us. It was somewhere in Northern Wales near to Blenau Ffestiniog?

Thankfully my brother is nearer to Cardiff.
Yeah, Cardiff/Swansea etc. are fake Welsh....get into the valley's, mid-Wales and towards the North and they're proper Welsh and hate the English! Fortunately I'm half Scottish, half Irish so they don't mind me <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue May 26, 2020 10:47 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:

I only moved house in March so luckily didn't have anything booked. Pretty unlikely there will be much overseas travel for anyone before 2021 (for holidays).
Got Singapore booked in September October <neg>

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue May 26, 2020 10:49 am

Driven through Wales twice on the way to family near Shrewsbury and seeing g the Wrexham ring road was enough for me <laugh>

Seriously though I'll probably try get to Northumberland, spent far too little time there for how much I love the place, get up to Scotland and Lakes as well hopefully in August if possible.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue May 26, 2020 11:01 am

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:47 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:

Got Singapore booked in September October <neg>
I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:49 am
Driven through Wales twice on the way to family near Shrewsbury and seeing g the Wrexham ring road was enough for me <laugh>

Seriously though I'll probably try get to Northumberland, spent far too little time there for how much I love the place, get up to Scotland and Lakes as well hopefully in August if possible.
<laugh>

Haha understandable, though you've experience s*** Wales right there! Shrewsbury is nice, only a 45 minute drive from me.

I'll try and get up to the Lakes or Scotland at some point, probably late September/October. Get a nice cottage or something in the middle of nowhere, lots of walking, get a decent bottle of whisky or two - just relax. Ideal.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue May 26, 2020 11:23 am

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:49 am

Were you driving to see if your eyes were ok and the shitness of Wrexham confirmed you were ok to drive?

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue May 26, 2020 12:45 pm

We're hoping to get up to see the in-laws when the CalMac ferries resume. I'm absolutely dreading the drive on Skye when tourists are allowed back there again <erk>, even more so than usual. While the scenery is beautiful, getting stuck behind endless convoys of campers and three abreast cyclists completely ruins it.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue May 26, 2020 1:46 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:45 pm
We're hoping to get up to see the in-laws when the CalMac ferries resume. I'm absolutely dreading the drive on Skye when tourists are allowed back there again <erk>, even more so than usual. While the scenery is beautiful, getting stuck behind endless convoys of campers and three abreast cyclists completely ruins it.
We went two years ago in early April. Got very lucky with the weather and traffic wasn't too bad. Can't imagine those tiny roads (and lack of parking in summer). They should really ban tourist cars and have tourist buses.

The Talisker distillery has an amazing seafood shack above it. God it was good.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue May 26, 2020 2:02 pm

I try to avoid anywhere during peak holiday season as I don't like other tourists <laugh>

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue May 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:46 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:45 pm
We went two years ago in early April. Got very lucky with the weather and traffic wasn't too bad. Can't imagine those tiny roads (and lack of parking in summer). They should really ban tourist cars and have tourist buses.

The Talisker distillery has an amazing seafood shack above it. God it was good.
We tend to go right in the middle of Skye's busiest period in July or August as that is outside of the main tourist season on Uist (April - June) so it's generally f***ing packed. We only stop once on the way up to Uig and that's at the Co-op in Portree. I would like to get to the Talisker distillery one day though. On a quiet day it's an amazing drive, especially coming down to Loch Sligachan. They're definitely going to have to do something because the island just cannot cope with the level of tourists they get. It must be a nightmare for the locals.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue May 26, 2020 2:51 pm

A blessing and a curse presumably as tourists must underpin a huge % of the local economy so it's a tricky one to balance.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue May 26, 2020 3:44 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:51 pm
A blessing and a curse presumably as tourists must underpin a huge % of the local economy so it's a tricky one to balance.
Absolutely. Without the tourism the island would have next to nothing, but it just doesn't have the infrastructure or even the space to deal with the volumes they get. That and people are generally d***s and don't respect places they visit.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rism-surge

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:20 pm

Taken advantage of some cheap flight deals to book a couple of days in the Faroe Islands in April then on to Iceland for a couple of days. All tickets are flexible so can change dates if we’re not allowed to travel. Airbnb bargains aplenty too.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:54 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:20 pm
Taken advantage of some cheap flight deals to book a couple of days in the Faroe Islands in April then on to Iceland for a couple of days. All tickets are flexible so can change dates if we’re not allowed to travel. Airbnb bargains aplenty too.
Love to do the Faroes. Might look into it if I can get the time off.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:55 pm

Managed to move Singapore from the end of this month to June next year, fingers bloody crossed I've been sad since we left our hotel in October 2018 <laugh> Hopefully have some interesting places on the books for the end of next year, all being well.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:57 pm

Yeah not got much time off so a quick trip, very much a scouting holiday for a longer trip in future <ok>

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:06 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:55 pm
Managed to move Singapore from the end of this month to June next year, fingers bloody crossed I've been sad since we left our hotel in October 2018 <laugh> Hopefully have some interesting places on the books for the end of next year, all being well.
Maybe you could pick up a bottle or two of this

<roll>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:08 pm

Imported beer in Singapore, Blue & Maroon isn't made of money!
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012