The forum has been upgraded, issues / feedback / suggestions?

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

The forum has been upgraded, issues / feedback / suggestions?

Post by Cal » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:34 am

I've upgrade the forum to the latest version of phpBB (from 3.0.13 to 3.1.16), this has been needed for quite a while but meant completely rebuilding a bunch of stuff, and waiting for our base style to be ported.

Is anyone having any issues? This is also a good time for any feedback or suggestions for changes you'd like to see.

We should have a few nice new features, and the site should be far more mobile / tablet friendly now, although as a side effect the desktop experience is a bit more spaced out, which isn't entirely bad. There have been some layout changes in the header, plus some new things, like the addition of notifications for a bunch of stuff, including quoted posts. Set your notification options here.

Avatars are now allowed to be up to 200 x 200 pixels, but these still need to be under 250KB.

Known issues:
- Polls are red, not blue (this is being problematic)
- Latest blog post ticker is gone (probably for good)
- Submit / preview / draft buttons feel like they're the wrong way around (might just be me?)
- Editing posts from before upgrade with have a URL in them that didn't use BBCode adds some unwanted code and prevents submitting edit (remove the other stuff, just leave the web address)

If anyone notices any other instances of red being used as a highlight / accent could you flag them here please? I'm fine with red 'X' / close buttons and other warning type stuff.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Re: The forum has been upgraded, issues / feedback / suggestions?

Post by beatski » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:40 am

did you have to cripple the old board? you monster

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:46 am

<kray>

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:00 am

Submit / preview / draft buttons feel like they're the wrong way around (might just be me?)
It's not just you

Is it possible to get the "click quote to go to origional comment" function?

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:22 am

Pretty Terrible Attacking Options wrote:
Submit / preview / draft buttons feel like they're the wrong way around (might just be me?)
It's not just you
I'll track them down and switch them around then.
Pretty Terrible Attacking Options wrote:Is it possible to get the "click quote to go to origional comment" function?
That looks like it's in the pipeline for the next big phpBB release (3.2), which is currently in alpha. I think I'll wait for that since there doesn't seem to be a universally acclaimed third party mod for it.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:38 am

Looks good <ok>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:32 am

Change <ohnoes>

Looks good
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:50 am

I quite like it. Looks fresh. Its just going to take me an age to stop pressing "The Team" by mistake

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:53 am

Micky Quim wrote:I quite like it. Looks fresh. Its just going to take me an age to stop pressing "The Team" by mistake
But at least you'll always get to see the names of the fantastic moderators that you plebs are truly lucky to have.
Kindly deeds done for free!

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:36 am

Is there no way to view the desktop site from a mobile? It feels very busy and cluttered on the mobile as you now have to sift through all the other text which appears when anyone posts to figure what they've actually written.

For example BB has written 'Looks good' above. But that takes up a whole page on my phone because it posts his name and rank, an avatar, the thread title, date of post, his post and then a massive long signature with three different quotes. I've taken a screenshot but not sure how to upload to show what I mean. It's just all in one column now though whereas on the desktop site on my mobile I could cut off the side column with all the bumf and concentrate on what people had actually written. Feels like a lot of wading through stuff this way.
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:45 am

Mobile site looks sweet from my tablet <awe> good work person who is not Skalps

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:48 am

Change <****>

A couple of things:
- It would be good if the page numbers were a little bigger & easier to click, as they were in the previous version
- Can signatures be turned off? The mobile version (though generally much better) requires sooo much scrolling.
- On the scrolling thing - it's a little annoying posts on the mobile version are like 2/3 the username, their rank, and Re: Thread Title. Would be great if we could get rid of the Re: line or make it a lot smaller, and if the name bit was condensed that would also be great.
- On the new posts page the page numbers screw up the alignment - no words in the description will go below the page numbers.
- This is less to do with the format - but it would be great if we could upload pics directly rather than having to host them. I wanted to upload a screenshot to demonstrate my previous bullet but I'm too lazy to upload it somewhere else <fist>
- Embedded Tweets aren't aligned centrally. This annoys my OCD.
I had the first custom w***

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:08 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, I should have asked in advance but could people people please provide screenshots and/or details of what they're using to view the forum when having these problems? E.g. "Nexus 5 in portrait mode using stock android browser", "iPhone 29abc, Safari in landscape".
Speedo wrote:Change <****>

A couple of things:
- It would be good if the page numbers were a little bigger & easier to click, as they were in the previous version
- Can signatures be turned off? The mobile version (though generally much better) requires sooo much scrolling.
- On the scrolling thing - it's a little annoying posts on the mobile version are like 2/3 the username, their rank, and Re: Thread Title. Would be great if we could get rid of the Re: line or make it a lot smaller, and if the name bit was condensed that would also be great.
- On the new posts page the page numbers screw up the alignment - no words in the description will go below the page numbers.
- This is less to do with the format - but it would be great if we could upload pics directly rather than having to host them. I wanted to upload a screenshot to demonstrate my previous bullet but I'm too lazy to upload it somewhere else <fist>
Was actually just on the case of tweets. Going to have to temporarily left-align them for now, since we used to be a fixed width things were a bit easier before.

Signatures can be disabled here - http://www.toonforum.co.uk/ucp.php?i=uc ... &mode=view

I won't be enabling attachments, sorry. We don't need the added strain or extra content to police.

I'll see what content I can filter out from the user info on portrait phone screens, the problem is that a lot of it is bundled together.

Tomski
Le Championski
Le Championski

Post by Tomski » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:23 am

Looks good. Especially on my iPad <roll>

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:29 am

Cal wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, I should have asked in advance but could people people please provide screenshots and/or details of what they're using to view the forum when having these problems? E.g. "Nexus 5 in portrait mode using stock android browser", "iPhone 29abc, Safari in landscape".
Speedo wrote:Change <****>

A couple of things:
Was actually just on the case of tweets. Going to have to temporarily left-align them for now, since we used to be a fixed width things were a bit easier before.

Signatures can be disabled here - http://www.toonforum.co.uk/ucp.php?i=uc ... &mode=view

I won't be enabling attachments, sorry. We don't need the added strain or extra content to police.

I'll see what content I can filter out from the user info on portrait phone screens, the problem is that a lot of it is bundled together.
Cheers Cal. And Speedo said far more concisely what I was trying to say.

I'm using an iphone 5 on Safari in portrait mode. I have to double tap to get the site to fit the screen nicely as it currently comes up as quite a small narrow column which I have to zoom in to make fit the screen.
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:04 pm

Tomski wrote:Looks good. Especially on my iPad <roll>
Looks better on my Surface <ski>.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:38 pm

Only used it on my phone but it looks very good. Especially with signatures disabled.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:07 pm

Cal wrote:Signatures can be disabled here - http://www.toonforum.co.uk/ucp.php?i=uc ... &mode=view
Thanks for the info. With regards to signatures - it would be great if there was an option to only disable them in the mobile version only. As it is I have to have them always on or always off, unless I want to manually change each time. Not a big deal, but it would be a nice feature.

Also it would be good if the default spacing below quotes was less. It's unnecessarily large at the moment.
I had the first custom w***

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:39 pm

The ads at the bottom of the index page are twice as wide as the rest of the page. I think that's why people are having to zoom in (iOS9)

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:43 pm

If I'm being honest I preferred the old version as this one is harder to get a good overview on one page if that makes sense.
I mean I can only view like 2-3 threads on on my phone where as the old one you could see the full list.
# stolen from nufc.com :)