Books

bigbelgiandave

Re: Books

Post by bigbelgiandave » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:55 am

Blještav Benny wrote:The next book I'll be after for my commute is one about Albert Pierrepoint, saw something on TV a while back about him. He was Britain's Official Executioner for 25 years until the 1950s. Quite interested in all that kind of stuff.

I also really like books about people's time in prison e.g. The Damage done, and books about people who have been in Alcatraz, on Death Row and so on so if anyone has any recommendations let me know.
The Damage Done was excellent, really enjoyed that. Tig Hague has written a couple of books about getting locked up in Russia 15 years ago. I read 'Zone 22' years ago on holiday and it was pretty good.

Just had a quick look on Amazon and I might pick up 'Hotel K' (Bali) and 'El Infierno' (Ecuador) as they're both well rated.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colback's Orange Tufts
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:25 am

Not a book (forgive me) but for stories on being locked up the podcast 'Ear Hustle' is great. It's a podcast made inside San Quentin prison in California. It's a prison famous for its inmate programmes, it can be funny or pretty intense. the last one on death row was amazing imo
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Donkey Toon
Resident Financial Expert
Resident Financial Expert

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:30 am

Blještav Benny wrote:The next book I'll be after for my commute is one about Albert Pierrepoint, saw something on TV a while back about him. He was Britain's Official Executioner for 25 years until the 1950s. Quite interested in all that kind of stuff.

I also really like books about people's time in prison e.g. The Damage done, and books about people who have been in Alcatraz, on Death Row and so on so if anyone has any recommendations let me know.
There is a film about him as well, which i'd recommend. Called "Pierrepont" and starring Timothy Spall as the man himself.

Pretty much went under the radar upon release, but unfairly, it is well worth a watch.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks for the tips, will check some of those out.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm

About 1/3 of the way through Kieron Dyer's autobiography at the moment. Quite interesting so far, talks about how he was sexually abused during his childhood which has obviously affected his entire life, how he had a baby brother who died shortly after birth, and about the impact that being part of the first generation of footballers to have silly money had on him.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:54 am

Nearly finished dyer's autobiography, does make quite a few digs at Newcastle fans as the book goes on. Pretty much says West ham fans are proper fans and Newcastle fans just gave him grief and moan at every mistake.

Chappy
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Chappy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:21 pm

Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:54 am
Nearly finished dyer's autobiography, does make quite a few digs at Newcastle fans as the book goes on. Pretty much says West ham fans are proper fans and Newcastle fans just gave him grief and moan at every mistake.
Didn't help himself...

No idea how he can call West Ham fans "proper fans" though. They're a horrid lot.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Chappy Al-Shabab wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:21 pm
Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:54 am
Didn't help himself...

No idea how he can call West Ham fans "proper fans" though. They're a horrid lot.
In his defence he does talk a lot about how stupid he was early in his career. Obviously the injuries aren't his fault, but some of his off the field behaviour he holds his hands up and says he was an idiot.

Chappy
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Chappy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:29 pm

Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:28 pm
Chappy Al-Shabab wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:21 pm

Didn't help himself...

In his defence he does talk a lot about how stupid he was early in his career. Obviously the injuries aren't his fault, but some of his off the field behaviour he holds his hands up and says he was an idiot.
Yeah he came across that way in his interview with True Geordie.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.