Knee hurts when cycling

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Knee hurts when cycling

Post by Hjl » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:04 pm

So I've been cycling every day to work since and I have no problems with my knee at all. It's a 9.3 mile trip and I do it in 39 mins now, down from 52 when I began cycling!

Maybe it's not very impressive, but I'm proud anyway. It's nice to see improvement :p

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:06 pm

Seems decent to me!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:49 pm

Slow as f***. I can do that distance in a quarter of that time in my car.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:56 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:Slow as ****. I can do that distance in a quarter of that time in my car.
<laugh>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:14 am

Hjl wrote:So I've been cycling every day to work since and I have no problems with my knee at all. It's a 9.3 mile trip and I do it in 39 mins now, down from 52 when I began cycling!

Maybe it's not very impressive, but I'm proud anyway. It's nice to see improvement :p
Taken 25% off of your time. I'm not a cyclist but that's impressive.

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Hjl wrote:So I've been cycling every day to work since and I have no problems with my knee at all. It's a 9.3 mile trip and I do it in 39 mins now, down from 52 when I began cycling!

14mph is actually is actually a pretty decent speed, especially for a commute <ok>
I'm cycling 6 stages of the Tour de France in July 2018 to raise money for charity. If you'd like to sponsor me then please click the link in my user profile! Thank you!

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:26 pm

TommyToonAA wrote:

14mph is actually is actually a pretty decent speed, especially for a commute <ok>
You think so? I tried to follow along behind a race last weekend and couldn't get anywhere near them. They must have been doing 20+ avg. I couldn't sustain more than about 18 for any length of time.

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:36 pm

Are you still on the original bike?

I would imagine the race would be going at a fair lick, yeah. On my training rides at the moment I'm averaging around 28-29kph (18 mph) over anywhere from 80-120 miles but that's with a brand new streamlined road bike, all the gear (no idea) and 4 months of fairly intensive training. At the beginning of last year, when I started cycling properly, most of my rides were 15-16 mph average over 25 miles or so. Bearing in mind all these rides will probably be on quieter roads than what you're commuting on then I'd say 14mph is decent.

For what it's worth 14mph is the minimum requirement to enter the Ride London event in July (100 miles sportive on closed roads that's probably the most popular event for amateur cyclists in the UK) so you're close to that just while commuting <ok>
I'm cycling 6 stages of the Tour de France in July 2018 to raise money for charity. If you'd like to sponsor me then please click the link in my user profile! Thank you!

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 pm

Yea I'm on my mountain bike. When I get some money I'll get a new one. This one creaks, rattles, weighs 40lbs...

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:14 pm

TommyToon wrote:
seatonsluicetoon wrote:
Sounds brilliant. Are you doing the TDF stages for charity or just yourself? I think coming into Surrey for your training is sensible as that Berkshire countryside is pretty flat by comparison. I did Hampton Court to Reading via Henley in January and it felt like a walk in the park for a 50 miler. For £30 entry if King of the Downs coincides with your training I'd highly recommend it. It's a serious challenge.

I'm doing the Crystal Palace triathlon which is just a sprint distance but in my current state I'm going to be pushing to acheive that.
Yeah it's a charity ride. They actually do the whole thing start to finish as well as offering segments throughout which is what I'm doing. Definitely planning a couple of trips to the Surrey hills and that event looks ideal, so thanks for the tip!

Good luck with the training/rehabilitation <ok>
Tommy, is your event coming up imminently? Or has it already been? How's it going?
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:43 pm

I've got a Cannondale Quick SL3 bike to flog. Cost me over £700 but not used it that much, roads are far too busy round where I live.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:54 am

seatonsluicetoon wrote:
TommyToon wrote:
Yeah it's a charity ride. They actually do the whole thing start to finish as well as offering segments throughout which is what I'm doing. Definitely planning a couple of trips to the Surrey hills and that event looks ideal, so thanks for the tip!

Good luck with the training/rehabilitation <ok>
Tommy, is your event coming up imminently? Or has it already been? How's it going?
In the middle of it at the moment. Done 3 of the 4 days now and yesterday was the long 218 km stage with 6 climbs. It hurts a lot!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:10 am

Good going man <ok>

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:07 pm

TommyToon wrote:
seatonsluicetoon wrote:
In the middle of it at the moment. Done 3 of the 4 days now and yesterday was the long 218 km stage with 6 climbs. It hurts a lot!
Fantastic. So are you essentially following the pros?

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:15 pm

seatonsluicetoon wrote:
TommyToon wrote:
Doing exactly the same as the pros except for we ride straight from the hotel where possible so actually clock up more miles! And when the pros would be on a big dual carriageway or motorway we ride an equivalent A-road that runs alongside.

Just done my final stage and it's been flipping hard. The pros are just incredible machines!

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:19 pm

TommyToon wrote:
seatonsluicetoon wrote:
Doing exactly the same as the pros except for we ride straight from the hotel where possible so actually clock up more miles! And when the pros would be on a big dual carriageway or motorway we ride an equivalent A-road that runs alongside.

Just done my final stage and it's been flipping hard. The pros are just incredible machines!
Sounds great. The weather looks like it's been excruciating today.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:52 pm

TommyToon wrote:
seatonsluicetoon wrote:

Incredible machines / drug enhanced humans <roll>

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Oh it's been 35° for 3 of the 4 days (luckily it was only 26 yesterday when we did 4500m of climbing). Only 2800 today...

Haha ever the skeptic ;-)

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:59 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
TommyToon wrote:

Incredible machines / drug enhanced humans <roll>
Nah they all just have the same heart condition.