Walking/Wilderness

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Re: Walking/Wilderness

Post by PTAO? » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:I wouldn't say that it's that deep for me, but I enjoy walking. It helps clear your mind and I love the countryside having grown up in Devon.
Yeah I just like the views.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:59 pm

PTAO wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:I wouldn't say that it's that deep for me, but I enjoy walking. It helps clear your mind and I love the countryside having grown up in Devon.
Even if they are deep?

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:57 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
PTAO wrote:
Even if they are deep?
<yikes>

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Did all three this time. I'm dying. Failed the challenge itself as I overran by 5 mins but f*** it <pards>
Kindly deeds done for free!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:22 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:Did all three this time. I'm dying. Failed the challenge itself as I overran by 5 mins but f*** it <pards>
<diva> well done. Steep was it? Much scrambling up or was it all walking uphill?

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:22 am

skalpel wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:Did all three this time. I'm dying. Failed the challenge itself as I overran by 5 mins but f*** it <pards>
<diva> well done. Steep was it? Much scrambling up or was it all walking uphill?
Pen-y-ghent is very steep and there's a bit of scrambling involved, Whernside is just a long walk uphill and Inglebrough is a hideous mixture of the two.
Kindly deeds done for free!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:49 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Pen-y-ghent is very steep and there's a bit of scrambling involved, Whernside is just a long walk uphill and Inglebrough is a hideous mixture of the two.
Sounds great. Gonna have to try and get a group together to do this soon. Maybe I'll break my record of number of Trek bars eaten in one day.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:35 pm

I went past Clee Hill this morning which is about 45 mins from where I live, might walk up there at the weekend.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:01 am

skalpel wrote:Anyone else like taking long walks to discover new places in the country? Anyone even done some kind of mad Bear Grylls type trip into the middle of nowhere?

Also, I've decided to try a long solo walk at some point this spring/summer, one that takes between two and four days. Anybody got any recommendations for somewhere preferably in England where there'll be great views up hills/crags, some good forests, and villages along the way to B&B in etc.? It doesn't necessarily have to be an established route, just an A to B that you know should be good (I don't have mountaineering equipment though).

I'm considering doing Bath to Stratford upon Avon via the Cotswolds, but that's literally only because it's one of few places I know ought to be cool...
Did you do this? If so where do you go?

I really like walking in the countryside or wilderness, it's very peaceful and reflective. Just wondering around a city at night is great too, especially during the hour just after the sun has gone down.

I often wonder when hiking somewhere what it must've been like at the time when people were still discovering stuff for the people who came across some of the views which are now really famous before they were known. Imagine just being on an expedition somewhere and you happened across views like Yosemite Valley or Zion Canyon before you knew it was there.

This thread also reminds me that I need to get around to reading The Rings of Saturn.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Mifune wrote:
skalpel wrote:Anyone else like taking long walks to discover new places in the country? Anyone even done some kind of mad Bear Grylls type trip into the middle of nowhere?

Also, I've decided to try a long solo walk at some point this spring/summer, one that takes between two and four days. Anybody got any recommendations for somewhere preferably in England where there'll be great views up hills/crags, some good forests, and villages along the way to B&B in etc.? It doesn't necessarily have to be an established route, just an A to B that you know should be good (I don't have mountaineering equipment though).

I'm considering doing Bath to Stratford upon Avon via the Cotswolds, but that's literally only because it's one of few places I know ought to be cool...
Did you do this? If so where do you go?

I really like walking in the countryside or wilderness, it's very peaceful and reflective. Just wondering around a city at night is great too, especially during the hour just after the sun has gone down.

I often wonder when hiking somewhere what it must've been like at the time when people were still discovering stuff for the people who came across some of the views which are now really famous before they were known. Imagine just being on an expedition somewhere and you happened across views like Yosemite Valley or Zion Canyon before you knew it was there.

This thread also reminds me that I need to get around to reading The Rings of Saturn.
Not quite several days solo. I did a few full day ones solo and with someone (12+ hours, in and about 30 miles round the Cotswolds starting in Bath, doing loops out into Wiltshire and up to Gloucestershire and ending in Bath again), and then a several day trip with my wife along the cliffs of Brittany in France. I'm still hoping to walk solo to Savernake Forest via Avebury from Bath this autumn which is a two perhaps three day thing, and a mate is interested in us following the Thames from London as far inland as we can over a number of days (footpath goes all the way to the source I think). That one should be great, especially as it includes walking past Orwell's grave in Sutton Courtenay.

I totally agree about walking at night in a city as well. When I first moved out of home and moved to Leeds as a teenager I basically went nocturnal so I could walk about the city at night as often as possible. The atmosphere is incredible, especially if you're lucky enough to stay out until sunrise and you watch the city begin to slowly fill with people over the streets that were all yours for the whole night.

Discovering totally unexpected landscapes must have been amazing. It's a shame we've basically rendered that pleasure extinct now. Even if we discover new planets and find a way to travel to them in the future, we'll have mapped them before landing and robbed ourselves of that sort of beautiful moment where you pull back a knot a branches and find yourself at the edge of Victoria Falls or something <laugh>.

The Rings of Saturn is good, but its not really about walking so much as walking is used as a vehicle for a book about other random topics. Robert MacFarlane's "The Wild Places" is what got me properly enthusiastic about walking in the British countryside, I'd recommend that to be honest.