Other
4%

Total votes: 53

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue May 30, 2017 5:41 pm

Magdia wrote:Both sides spread lies and **** about each other <ok> The difference is that Corbyn and his supporters have a much larger and more vocal social media presence and therefore make a lot more noise when it happens and it plays quiet nicely into their narrative.

f***ing hate this election, both sides stink to high heaven.
I don't see how social media trends changes the way the media reports facts/lies <scratch> if it really influences it then surely that also points to a very irresponsible media?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Tue May 30, 2017 8:37 pm

So Ive decided to vote Tory. I can see why many people are going to vote Labour - their manifesto appeals to many. Funding for the NHS and Schools, minimum wage rises, benefits, tax cuts for the minority, free childcare, no tuition fees etc. But I just can't see how it can be supported without ultimately borrowing more money and therefore increasing taxes or implementing massive cuts in the future.

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)

Post by daib0 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:51 pm

I'm ahead of my time then!

A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Tue May 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Micky Quim wrote:So Ive decided to vote Tory. I can see why many people are going to vote Labour - their manifesto appeals to many. Funding for the NHS and Schools, minimum wage rises, benefits, tax cuts for the minority, free childcare, no tuition fees etc. But I just can't see how it can be supported without ultimately borrowing more money and therefore increasing taxes or implementing massive cuts in the future.
Do you have any worries about the Tories uncosted manifesto?

Personally I think the handling of Brexit is going to have the biggest impact on the economy and so far the handling of it by the Tories has been extremely worrying. I think Labour are more likely to negotiate a deal that keeps us in the single market while the Tories are more likely to make no deal of any type.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Tue May 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Mifune wrote:
Micky Quim wrote:So Ive decided to vote Tory. I can see why many people are going to vote Labour - their manifesto appeals to many. Funding for the NHS and Schools, minimum wage rises, benefits, tax cuts for the minority, free childcare, no tuition fees etc. But I just can't see how it can be supported without ultimately borrowing more money and therefore increasing taxes or implementing massive cuts in the future.
Not really. Selfishly more of the same will do me just fine

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Tue May 30, 2017 9:24 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Mifune wrote:
Not really. Selfishly more of the same will do me just fine
What about May's stance on internet privacy? Or her insistence on cutting immigration numbers depsite the fact that pretty much every study shows that immigration is very important for both the economy and society? Are you okay with more cuts to the NHS? Not trying to be judgmental, just interested.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Tue May 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue May 30, 2017 9:52 pm

I mean if that happened, then wow. But I'm not sure how they figured out those numbers. A 30 seat swing towards Labour in England (which this implies) seems a lot, even if the Tories did better than expected in 2015.
I had the first custom w***

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue May 30, 2017 10:19 pm

And now ComRes are predicting 100 seat majority for the Tories. Basically, no one knows, so split the difference and the chances are it's going to be a Tory majority of about 40-60. So as you were.
I had the first custom w***

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed May 31, 2017 6:27 am

I love how according to Yougov/the Times Northern Ireland is losing 10 seats <scratch>
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed May 31, 2017 6:28 am

Also this muchly
[tweet][/tweet]

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Wed May 31, 2017 6:36 am

Mifune wrote:
Micky Quim wrote: Not really. Selfishly more of the same will do me just fine
What about May's stance on internet privacy? Or her insistence on cutting immigration numbers depsite the fact that pretty much every study shows that immigration is very important for both the economy and society? Are you okay with more cuts to the NHS? Not trying to be judgmental, just interested.
I dont care about internet privacy. I think immigration controls are important, but crucially to your point they are not eliminating immigration. And they had promised more funding for the NHS - how come when Labour state that its true but when the Tories do its not?

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Wed May 31, 2017 7:20 am

Micky Quim wrote:
Mifune wrote:
I dont care about internet privacy. I think immigration controls are important, but crucially to your point they are not eliminating immigration. And they had promised more funding for the NHS - how come when Labour state that its true but when the Tories do its not?
Probably because the Tories have failed miserably already in the last 7 years? Do you honestly think they'll deliver on this and not continue to sell the NHS off to private companies?

Also, Labour have explained how they're going to do it, Tories haven't even bothered.

The loans required for Nationalisation of energy/rail companies is a moot point considering the record borrowing (and subsequently debt) levels under this government.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed May 31, 2017 7:36 am

Aldridge Prior wrote:
The loans required for Nationalisation of energy/rail companies is a moot point considering the record borrowing (and subsequently debt) levels under this government.
How exactly is that a moot point? If under the current government debt has reached record levels, suggesting another government who would make that issue worse can't be moot!

One could make the argument that *if* the gov got the right price, the debt service would be covered by the profits from energy/rail (there goes lowering prices) and that's an interesting debate. And also given the artificially low government bonds rates many argue it makes sense to borrow at these levels (obviously not index linked)

Also it can be argued the record levels of debt are an inheritance from the financial crisis as much as what any current government do. I find it odd when the Tories get attacked for not reducing the deficit whilst also being attacked for cuts. "They are bad cos they haven't balanced the the budget, but also how dare they cut costs to try and balance the budget!"

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed May 31, 2017 8:05 am

A lot of amateur economists usually forget how the UK bounced back from post world war 2 recession.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Wed May 31, 2017 8:08 am

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Aldridge Prior wrote:
How exactly is that a moot point? If under the current government debt has reached record levels, suggesting another government who would make that issue worse can't be moot!

One could make the argument that *if* the gov got the right price, the debt service would be covered by the profits from energy/rail (there goes lowering prices) and that's an interesting debate. And also given the artificially low government bonds rates many argue it makes sense to borrow at these levels (obviously not index linked)

Also it can be argued the record levels of debt are an inheritance from the financial crisis as much as what any current government do. I find it odd when the Tories get attacked for not reducing the deficit whilst also being attacked for cuts. "They are bad cos they haven't balanced the the budget, but also how dare they cut costs to try and balance the budget!"
Your second paragraph explains what I was alluding to. The loans would be for profitable investment in our infrastructure, not to plug the gap while services are sold to the highest bidder.

Regarding the budget, the Tories are being attacked for cutting costs while letting huge corporations off with billions of pounds in tax so their priorities clearly do not lie with the best interests of the British public.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed May 31, 2017 8:50 am

Aldridge Prior wrote:
Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:

Your second paragraph explains what I was alluding to. The loans would be for profitable investment in our infrastructure, not to plug the gap while services are sold to the highest bidder.

Regarding the budget, the Tories are being attacked for cutting costs while letting huge corporations off with billions of pounds in tax so their priorities clearly do not lie with the best interests of the British public.
Fair, what you've said there is more nuanced.

Regarding big corporations, not paying much tax existed in previous governments and in other countries. We should clamp down on it but it's difficult to do, Labour (and to lesser extent Tories) say they will, but not how...

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Wed May 31, 2017 10:34 am

Micky Quim wrote:
Mifune wrote:
Because they cut the funding in the first place?

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Wed May 31, 2017 12:42 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:
Micky Quim wrote: I dont care about internet privacy. I think immigration controls are important, but crucially to your point they are not eliminating immigration. And they had promised more funding for the NHS - how come when Labour state that its true but when the Tories do its not?
Probably because the Tories have failed miserably already in the last 7 years? Do you honestly think they'll deliver on this and not continue to sell the NHS off to private companies?

Also, Labour have explained how they're going to do it, Tories haven't even bothered.

Because Labour definitely didn't privatise the NHS

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed May 31, 2017 1:21 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:
Micky Quim wrote: I dont care about internet privacy. I think immigration controls are important, but crucially to your point they are not eliminating immigration. And they had promised more funding for the NHS - how come when Labour state that its true but when the Tories do its not?

Labour introduced NHS Foundation Trusts in 2002 which effectively allowed PFI arrangements on hospitals and health care.